• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Looking for slings for ar pistol/rifle I've had a sling a in the past and been shy to buy others should I be looking into double points or stay with a single? something that will actually hold your rifle so it's not flopping loose. Magpul looks like they have some nice ones but there are so many brands and styles. Would like to narrow the margin down Advice or opinions are appreciated

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The Marines sold all their 3 point slings for a reason, and went back to 2 point slings. Sportsman's Guide got a bunch of them surplus slings, if you really want to experience why the Corps sold them. Buyer beware, the ATF used language along the lines of "any AR pistol using AR rifle accessories can be considered as a AR rifle" in their recent hate mail about AR pistols. I'm sure a sling is one of those accessories

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I use the single point for tree stand hunting. Weapon is always attached and slung to the back for climbing. I'm going to try a two point and choke it up tight and see if that's better.

Attachments

• 20210129_070900.jpg
      20210129_070900.jpg
      4.2 MB · Views: 117

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Single point slings worked for OK for me on AR & AK pistols. OTOH, I definitely prefer a 2 point on carbines and rifles. I have a simple Butler Creek 2 point that is my favorite for carbines and rifles.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can "add comfort" to any sling by installing one of those fake sheep wool seat belt cushions (black or white) in auto parts. Lol. Seriously, I've used one in conjuction with a "Safari Sling" for years. Comfort (kinda) when using a Military Sling on the Range was found in the leather shooting glove.

The search is simpler if it's just for secure carry. Its more complex if it's a shooting support sling and how you transition Left to Right. Some folks just want something simple without multiple connections and adjustments.

I don't like "bungy crap" ! I use a old M1/M14 Web (Desert) Sling for single point on my P556, no buffer tube so the tensioned sling provides support and cheek weld. I use Urban-ERT Tactical on others. They have some special firearm configurations, so look around.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Yes. Secure carry. I don't want to hold the rifle from flopping. Isn't that the whole point of the sling?

Kvwillmsn79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Magpul MS4 is what I have on mine and I like them. Holds the rifle securely to your body in a 2 point configuration and it can also be used as a single point sling also

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The magpul i have gen 3 i believe has very easy adjustment when wearing. Don't have to take it off to adjust as long as you have your zone figured out beforehand

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Adjustable 2 point slings are certainly the better option. Here's a few that I own or have...
    Vickers Blue Force
    Defense Mechanisms
    Proctor
    Magpul
    Trunk Monkey Design
    My current fave is this...

For something more "rad"...

Owen

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does anyone have a preference for a sling to be worn while wearing a plate carrier?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Does anyone have a preference for a sling to be worn while wearing a plate carrier?
    Still a 2 point (from a civilian opinion)

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Didn't even think about a plate carrier. Not wearing one in the woods currently but it could certainly happen in the near future

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sling use with simple naked plate carriers is about length adjustment for the additional girth same as cold weather clothing. Plate carriers with attached pouches/gear or the addition of a outer load bearing vest/harnes have girth and potential sling hangup/obstruction points that need to be eliminated/minimized to allow the sling to shift and rifle transition L/R. Gear must work in unision. "Tactical" slings may or may not have sewn on rifle mounting hardware and additional adjustment length: don't cut excess until you have figured out the maximum you will need.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I like the Vicker's Blue Force too....have one on 3 rifles. Pretty easy to rotate it on your back to climb

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I like the Vicker's Blue Force too....have one on 3 rifles. Pretty easy to rotate it on your back to climb
    I just recently got one of these in trade and it's really growing on me. Before this I was a big fan of the original simple black Colt M16A1 two point sling because it is silent, lightweight, uncomplicated and doesnt have any moving parts to fill with dried mud or fumble with in the dark. But now the Vickers Blue Force is growing on me. I'd a never bought one on my own and I'd always considered these things with twice the amount of webbing and little QD push buttons a little gimmicky. We'll see how well I like all that extra webbing after having to put it in my sleeping bag all night. Old habits die hard

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Blueforce Gear Vickers sling. They make a padded version, but the regular one is what I run. 2 point is a must for any serious shooting or taking classes. I have 4 of the Vickers slings fyi...

Latest posts

Top Bottom