• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I figured I would start a thread on my Colt 1911 rail gun project. I bought the gun about 6 months ago for a home defense weapon. I always wanted to try a 1911 so the rail gun seemed like a good fit. I read lots of reviews before purchasing & all where positive. As of now I have run about 750 rounds threw it with no malfunctions. I do have to admit that I can shoot it more accurately then my beloved glocks LOL. So I decided If I was going to keep it long term I wanted to address a few things that I did not like.

First issue was to dehorn the gun. In fact if one thing keeps me from buying another colt it will be the fact that I will have to dehorn everyone. At least on a normal 1911 that may only be the slide. Then I will replace the grips, the sloppy fit trigger(which works fine just annoying), add an extended magazine release, & most likely a checkered mainspring housing later. I have replaced the stock front sight with a Novac fiber optic.

To be honest this gun was down right sharp just about everywhere. For what ever reason Colt does not bevel the bottom of the slide or even the slide serration. I actually cut myself on one them. Add to that this is a rail gun with lots straight edges for your light attachment & it was too much for me. The most annoying part for me was the back edge of the safety that was not beveled. It always managed to hit my knuckle while shooting. Yes I ride the safety while shooting.

So I broke it down & got to work. I kept the sanding to a minimum as I did not want to change the looks just the feel. Plus seeing as this was my first dehorning job I did not want to screw it up. :madgrin: Then I had it beed blasted for 60 bucks.

While the polished slide looked nice they scratched way too easily. I decided to sand it in one direction from front to back with 400 grit paper. It has a similar look but hides scratches better. Also in few months I can just sand it again if it gets scratched up.

So for about $65 & some elbow grease I am loving the results. It does not look much different but it feels 100% better.

Here are few pics.

Dressed for duty

One before pic but not a good one as I had not planned to do a before & after.

Last edited:

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great pictures of a great job. Didn't overdo it, just got it to fit your needs. Just what I like about 1911's.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Good for you for taking matters into your own hands. Colts are good, but like you, there are several things I don't like about them. Dehorning is usually done for carry, and your dehorning looks like a step in the right direction, but the finish now looks a bit rough. If it were me, I'd properly dehorn it some more and then have it coated (lately, I'm liking black over gray) along with the new small parts (Wilson makes the best parts). The thing I can't stand about colts is the looseness in the thumb safety, especially as light as I light my triggers, but YMMV, and it can certainly be made better to suit you personal needs and tastes, regardless, good luck. A Colt makes for a great canvas.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys. It was a good excuse to play with my guns.

Dan I like stainless guns so I will not be coating it. If I want a black gun I will grab one of my glocks.:becky: Beside the rough flat slide finish is on purpose so it will not show scratches as much. These pictures where taken with a macro lens your eye is not that good in real life. This is not a show piece just a regular shooting gun & it will probably never look this good again. LOL

The Safety fit is ok positive going on & off. The slide fit does not bother me as long as it shoots as well as it does. I would like it tighter but I do not walk around shaking it to hear the rattle. :DNow if you want to trade your Wilson for my Colt I might change my tune. LOL

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    That's great, as long as it works for you, that's all that matters. I won't be trading my Wilsons, but I'm more than happy to let friends shoot them. Keep us updated. :)

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would be afraid to shoot a Wilson then I might really want one.

That's great, as long as it works for you, that's all that matters. I won't be trading my Wilsons, but I'm more than happy to let friends shoot them. Keep us updated. :)

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is just flat out a nice looking firearm. I really like the finish, the grips, everything. I'm no expert, especially on 1911s but if I ever own one I would want something close to this.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I would be afraid to shoot a Wilson then I might really want one.

Yep, mine have done that to a couple of friends. I'll have them shoot a fast and a slow 5 shot group with their gun of choice, then with one of mine and the results are undeniable. Actually, that just helps, the moment they racked the slide, they were sold. Make no mistake about it though, a Colt can be made just as nice.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update: I fit a Ed Brown trigger, an extended magazine release, new VZ grips, & opened up the Mag well.

I had to sand the Grips as they were too sharp for my taste. Luckily they take sanding well. The Ed Brown trigger fits nicely & helped take up most of the slop in the trigger. It was oversized & would not fit without sanding. The bow itself was longer then the stock Colt which did get rid of some of the take up but there is some left. This trigger does not have the tabs for getting rid of more. (The bow just touches the disconnecter anyhow). I do not mind a little take up as I go back & forth between this 1911 & striker fire triggers.

I am done playing for a while tell I get bored & add a metal main spring housing.

Last edited:

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan...I've been lookin at gettin 1 of those for my new ultra...did u have to shave some material off the back of ur grips to get them to sit flush??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dan...I've been lookin at gettin 1 of those for my new ultra...did u have to shave some material off the back of ur grips to get them to sit flush??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all. I was wondering why they say that. You just tighten the grips and everything sits flush, it's not like with an ambi safety, where you must clear room for something to move. There's no motion, so it sits nice and snug. Or do they mean the bottom? Regardless, I have VZ aliens that I modified to work with the ambi safety on my Operator, and like everything else from Wilson, the magwell works perfectly.

Top Bottom