• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammodave

Expert
    I have a Colt 1911 series 70 gov't model that I used as a range gun yrs ago. Fired exclusively with mild 185gr LSWC loads; about 6,000 rds thru the gun. I'd like to dig it out of the safe and put it back in service but first I'd like to switch to lighter springs. Recommendations? I'm thinking a 13lb recoil spring and a 19lb main spring.

boatbum101

Marksman
    I have a Colt 1911 series 70 gov't model that I used as a range gun yrs ago. Fired exclusively with mild 185gr LSWC loads; about 6,000 rds thru the gun. I'd like to dig it out of the safe and put it back in service but first I'd like to switch to lighter springs. Recommendations? I'm thinking a 13lb recoil spring and a 19lb main spring.
    No problem with a 19lb mainspring . Recoil spring choice would depend on 1) Configuration ie open sights , dot , rib w/ dot etc . 2) Tightness of build ie has slide / frame & bushing been tightened up . 3) Loads chosen . 4) Dedicated range gun or possible SD use .
    You can shoot as light as 3.5 BE / HG 68 200 LSWC or 3.9 BE / HG 68 185 LSWC with open sights , 19lb MS & a stock 16lb RS . You can also shoot GI spec hardball with same setup . If you only shoot hardball & up power loads , then a small radius firing pin stop really helps . Added weight to slide requires a lighter spring or a heavier load .

ammodave

Expert
    Open sights, frame not tightened in any way. Pistol is stock except for a Bomar rear sight, Millet front and a professional trigger job. Only plan to shoot light target loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom