• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So I've had this plan to do a raw build. My beautiful receivers came with a very nice bead blasted raw aluminum finish. I've noticed some slight handling marks during the fitment, lay out, etc.

So I found some high temp gloss at auto zone. Cool. Hung them up and gave them 3 coats with proper drying time. Great. Let them sit in the sun all day. Can says full cure with oven bake. But I didn't need that... good enough.

So I put them in a drawer. One with a drawer liner so I can see my stuff and to pad the contents. We cut to the chase... the receiver stuck th the pad. They are like dry to the touch, but stick if left sitting. Le' sigh.

So I think I'm going to try stripping the receivers in some laquer thinner.

My question is. What clear coat product would you recommend? And is there someone in Pensacola that does it?

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    I'm sure you did shake the can for a couple of minutes? Don't underestimate this step. If the dryers are not mixed thoroughly into the product you won't get a good hard cure with a rattle can application.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    That is a good question, I have done a bit of painting before, and I’ve been looking into 2-part epoxy clear finishes. Regular enamel clear coat isn’t as durable for some rough use applications, so I’ve been looking for an easy to use 2-part epoxy clear. If anyone has experience with a good one, I’d like to hear about it.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Any gloss coating will be tacky for days. I just did a job and the doors were dark brown. 3 days later still can't touch them. Left finger prints.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I followed the instructions on the can. I just wasn't planning on baking them in my home oven... I also work with epoxy paints. In fact i use a product called stone guard. It has a matte finish though. We have used glossy in the past. Ill check my stock and see if i have any left .

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    That is a good question, I have done a bit of painting before, and I’ve been looking into 2-part epoxy clear finishes. Regular enamel clear coat isn’t as durable for some rough use applications, so I’ve been looking for an easy to use 2-part epoxy clear. If anyone has experience with a good one, I’d like to hear about it.
    So I've got this epoxy clear coat from Midwest industries. We don't really use it that often. Occasionally custom work or special request. We usually have base coats to cover. I'll contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. I also have a clear wipe on etching primer I use with porcelain refinishing from another company. I'll see if they are compatible.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Any gloss coating will be tacky for days. I just did a job and the doors were dark brown. 3 days later still can't touch them. Left finger prints.
    Thats why I use epoxy paints at work. Waterproof in 4 hours, fully cured in 30 days. Can go to full use after 4 hours but I usually tell people over night. No chemicals for 30 days.
    I sprayed my full sun, southern facing back door 4 years ago, and it still looks new and is super easy to clean.
    Of course it's also very expensive. On a side note: We've got gallons and gallons of white wash. I painted a section of my house with it about 2 months ago and it looks great! I think I will paint the whole house with it. And see if there's a better way to recycle my white wash.
    Only problem is it is very thin and would require extra coats and good weather conditions .

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

there is a clear available..matte tho

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Well I successfully stripped the clear off my receivers. After seeing the clear, I think I would prefer a matte finish.
    I'll check out that aluma Hyde, but might just try what I have.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I did that one time for an intake on my race car......huge mistake. I was choking and gagging. Had to open all windows and doors. It was a mess. The smell sooooo strong.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Paint didn't even do what it was supposed to. Took it outside and ran the heat gun all over it for 15-20 mins and it turned out great. Could be a fail on your project, but I'll mention it.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The air dry clear Cerakote is what ive used on raw aluminum pulleys, power steering pumps, aluminum intakes, etc for friends drag cars, truck projects, etc. Works well on those applications havnt tried on raw gun parts.

Top Bottom