• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Swish them around in water with a little bit of dish soap, rinse well and let them dry completely before putting them in your tumbler. If they're wet, then it may cause media to clump up inside the cases.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You can...as stated by TennJeep in his above, but with the proper tumbler and a small amount of added polish I do not find the need to.

I want mine to come out clean enough to be able to distinguish any imperfections(dents,cracks,split necks,etc)and I do not want any of the "blow by" carbon left on the necks. If my brass does not look "as new" when it is reloaded,that is fine with me. I use a primer pocket uniformer tool on all the primer pockets so that takes care of all the gunk(usually carbon)in there. --- SAWMAN

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You can...as stated by TennJeep in his above, but with the proper tumbler and a small amount of added polish I do not find the need to.

I want mine to come out clean enough to be able to distinguish any imperfections(dents,cracks,split necks,etc)and I do not want any of the "blow by" carbon left on the necks. If my brass does not look "as new" when it is reloaded,that is fine with me. I use a primer pocket uniformer tool on all the primer pockets so that takes care of all the gunk(usually carbon)in there. --- SAWMAN

Do you clean out all the primer pockets on handgun brass?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I first deprime all my brass then tumble. that way you will not need to clean the primer pocket.

Does that not dirty up your dies? Also, I use a mixture of corn cob and walnut media and the corn cob will get stuck in the flash holes. I stopped cleaning the primer pockets on my handgun and 223 plinking brass after the first couple hundred. Haven't noticed a bit of difference.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes sir, I do. I use the primer pocket uniformer for that also. It gets everything off the sides and the bottom. I also de-bur the flash hole while I am at it. HOWEVER.........I do not reload hundreds and hundreds of pistol brass. Just 44spc/44mag,454Casull,and 500S&W mag. This ammo is my hunting stash.

I chuck the little tool in my cordless screwdriver and spin at the slowest speed. It does a really good job. --- SAWMAN

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes sir, I do. I use the primer pocket uniformer for that also. It gets everything off the sides and the bottom. I also de-bur the flash hole while I am at it. HOWEVER.........I do not reload hundreds and hundreds of pistol brass. Just 44spc/44mag,454Casull,and 500S&W mag. This ammo is my hunting stash.

I chuck the little tool in my cordless screwdriver and spin at the slowest speed. It does a really good job. --- SAWMAN

Ah, I gotcha. I also chuck the tool in my drill while cleaning hunting ammo primer pockets. I used to have a Lyman motorized trimmer that had a primer pocket cleaner on it. It worked great, but someone offered me way more than it was worth, so I sold it.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get an ultrasonic cleaner and have done with it. Cleans inside, outside, primer pockets and all. No fuss, no mess, no media. And do them 4-500 at a time.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dought I am the only one but I Never deprimed my hand gun brass before cleaning or for that matter before reloading. The depriming tool did good enough job of cleaning out the flash hole for me and I didn,t have to worry about meda stuck in the flash hole. Deprimeing was a step I just didn,t do... Maybe when I get into rifle reloading again I will but just did't see the need to on handgun ammo as it dosen,t have to be as accurate. Some people don,t even clean there hand gun brass. When I first started reloading handgun ammo I will admit I went through cleaning the primer pockets and flass holes , but it was taking to long to do 500 rounds at a time. And didn,t seem to make that much diffrence.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    A friend and I are newbies to reloading, but we spend the time to deprime, then ultra-sonic clean and tumble. Might be over kill but using the pocket cleaner tool seem to help with a primer seating issue. That and I seem to like CCI over Winchesters for large pistol primers. My 2 pennies worth

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don,t think it is overkill I just didn,t see that it made much diffrence for me and they do look nice if there isn't any carbon on them anywhere.

M&P

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I generally wash my brass before it goes in the tumbler.

Try this recipe and you'll NEVER use anything else again to clean your brass:

1 Cup Vinegar (Cleaning strength Vinegar from Wal-Mart is best)
    3 Cups Water (Warm/Hot water is best)
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon Dawn Dish Detergent

Mix and soak brass for up to 30 minutes (5 minutes is OK for "cleanish" brass). Agitate occasionally. Rinse Well. Your brass will actually look better than new inside and out.

Of course the recipe for the solution can be reduced/increased as needed and the measurements don't have to be ultra precise.

If you've got an Ultrasonic cleaner it will work even better.

For quick drying, dump the brass on a towel, roll it up and shake. Use a hairdryer to speed up the process.

Trust me... Try it.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Whoa...dawn and vinegar, I'll have to try that one out for sure. Better than the sonic cleaner?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

M&P

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Whoa...dawn and vinegar, I'll have to try that one out for sure. Better than the sonic cleaner?

Don't forget the salt...

I actually use this recipe in my Ultrasonic cleaner but if you don't have an Ultrasonic cleaner it's still the best solution by far. Not only the best solution, but very inexpensive.

Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Awesome, definitely trying it thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom