• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    According to the OP, the banning of replys in the classifies was the result of: "After too much time spent modding frequent needless comments in classified ads". So "needless" comments triggered the ban. (Sound familiar: you do not need those comments or an AR-15?)

Not even close to being a direct correlation. You're trying to equate a right and restrictions on the government with a private entity that has zero obligation to let anyone have an opinion.

This is a good example of what he's talking about. This ad had 22 replies after it was sold and 4 bumps in the first hour with comments that added nothing or asked a question about the item.

https://gulfcoastgunforum.com/threads/gone.59354/

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not even close to being a direct correlation. You're trying to equate a right and restrictions on the government with a private entity that has zero obligation to let anyone have an opinion.

This is a good example of what he's talking about. This ad had 22 replies after it was sold and 4 bumps in the first hour with comments that added nothing or asked a question about the item.

I'll disagree with the "comments that added nothing" portion of that example. It was a gray area of the AR pistol length vs VFG interpretation. I know for a fact that at least one PM conversation about VFGs on a pistol vs OAL started because of that. Nothing was ill-intended by my comment, and some genuine "gun stuff" discussion occurred via PM because of it.

I acknowledge that apparently the sale was not smooth according to other comments, but the fact remains that discussion is not 100% bad or worthless, just as it obviously isn't 100% good or constructive.

As mentioned by others, this rule change is as much about the moderator's time as it is about people posting inappropriately.

I'm one of those who believe the default should be to allow the discussion and deal with the individuals unable to follow rules. It is a forum; "discussion with rules" is kinda the whole point...

However, as we know, this is a privately owned forum, so we are guests and these are not our rules to make.

Just my observation.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    WOW, I can see the future happening now..... Cant reply to for sale in open forum, sound like bidding wars coming, lol.

This is how my PM is going to look.

Hi, Im interested in your gun for sale. I know its been posted for several hours today and you probibly got several PM's since you have it listed at a great price, but IM WILLING TO $$$ PAY EXTRA IF YOU CAN LET ME HAVE THE FIRST CHANCE AT IT$$$

Thank buddy, call me soon.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On this forum? You can’t be serious. The message will be more like this, I know you have this listed at a great price. But I’m offering you half of that and only want you to hold it for 2 weeks before you deliver it to me. P.S. I know prices have increased as of late but wouldn’t you feel great about yourself for letting me have it at a 5 year ago price. If you do that no one can call you a scalper!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FLT, may I please have your permission to use that one ?? IT IS GREAT !! --- SAWMAN

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As to your first point, you will see in subsequent posts, I acknowledge the moderators can censor any and everything on the forums using whatever rules they choose to add or change.

Apparently comments on classified ads are a problem. Not on the moderators end so I do not see what issues they see. Glad we have the moderators who do this for free.

Last edited:

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As to your first point, you will see in subsequent posts, I acknowledge the moderators can censor any and everything on the forums using whatever rules they choose to add or change. They have complete control.

Apparently comments on classified ads is a problem. Not on the moderators end so I do not see what issues they see. Glad we have the moderators who do this for free.

elkhunter136

Master
    Rating - 77.8%
    6   2   1
    After too much time spent modding frequent needless comments in classified ads, the mods have decided we will go with ZERO replies/comments allowed in any classified ads thread. This works on other forums and should work well here.

Effective in the next day or so, the ability to reply to any thread in the Classifieds area will be turned off. If you are interested in contacting a thread starter, use the Conversation System (Start Conversation Button under that user’s profile) to contact the individual, please.

You will still be allowed to 'Bump' your own thread once per day.

There is a Bump thread button – see attached.

View attachment 88824

Thanks in advance from the mods.
    Where is this option on the phone app????

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    After too much time spent modding frequent needless comments in classified ads, the mods have decided we will go with ZERO replies/comments allowed in any classified ads thread. This works on other forums and should work well here.

Effective in the next day or so, the ability to reply to any thread in the Classifieds area will be turned off. If you are interested in contacting a thread starter, use the Conversation System (Start Conversation Button under that user’s profile) to contact the individual, please.

You will still be allowed to 'Bump' your own thread once per day.

There is a Bump thread button – see attached.

View attachment 88824

Thanks in advance from the mods.

So this was last Friday, maybe we got a reprieve. Maybe it's as hard to implement as the "Lock" button. In the mean time, maybe we can do better aboot staying on topic in Sale threads and can move on.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How about just letting the whoever opens the for sale thread manage it and contact a Mod if they need help. Having the ability to manage your own thread and delete comments that reflect negatively on the item for sale or are off subject would be nice and require the Mods to not have to worry about for sale threads too much.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Viking - -> NO EFFIN WAY !! WOULD BE WAAAAAAAY TOO EASY !!
    But,but,but . . . if I allowed chit-chat on my thread for the members entertainment,infornation about the item,a member(s) to help me sell the item,and free "bumps" ,and a thread post count hater,thread length of time hater,a spell checker,or a extremely jealous person had some kind of problem with all that fun and help,and if he possibly "knew somebody" . . ?? . . well . . . ?? ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How about just letting the whoever opens the for sale thread manage it and contact a Mod if they need help. Having the ability to manage your own thread and delete comments that reflect negatively on the item for sale or are off subject would be nice and require the Mods to not have to worry about for sale threads too much.
    Make this guy a mod.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Members online

Top Bottom