• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkiss

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello Colleagues!

I need some advice for a Charter 357 Mag Pug w/ Ports. I have heard that Porting causes "night blindness" and reduces velocity etc...Any thoughts? Thanks much everyone!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Short barrels are less efficient burning powder before the projectile exits the barrel. This causes velocity loss and larger muzzle flash from the continued burn. Muzzle flash will vary from a light .38 Spl to a full power .357 Mag. In either case, as the projectile passes the ports gases will be vented (vertically or diagonally upward attempting to counter muzzle rise) first; then as the projectile exits the muzzle: the continued burn creates the follow on muzzle flash.

The result is "flash" initially via the Ports and potentially the start of obstructed sight picture followed miliseconds later by the muzzle flash 360° fireball which is going to contribute significantly to what's refered to as night blindness. Ports or no Ports: the difference in level of "night blindness" effect with snubbys is probably moot. The porting may still help recoil control.

They do make "Low Flash" ammo and advertise it for the .357Mag too. Of course, there's some ballistics tradeoffs if you get into the specs and compare to your standard loads.

jkiss

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks! Would really like to hear recommendations between Charter Mag Pug, ported 2 14 in vs Taurus 605 2inch. Thanks everyone!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a guess but It appears choices are budget limited. That's okay! If made in the U.S.A. is a priority then Charter Arms is the choice. My info is a little dated but Charter Arms used a solid frame without a removable cover plate based on an older H&R design. Taurus, using former S&W tooling and basic design produces copies, close clones and original designs rooted in them.

Fit and finish results often mirror price point. Charter markets a ton of different color finishes to attract fashion buyers. In concept not much different then all the camo, patterns and colors offered to intice hunters and the tactic-cool. Charter colors are what I would call "flamboyant" but the basic blue & stainless are still there.

You can compare warranties online but you also need to read reviews from those who have had to deal with the process.

I've shot a newer Charter Bulldog. It worked but nothing to brag about. Can't say how they wear or hold up on the long run. I have no desire for a Charter Arms revolver based on my limited experience with them. I do think they are pushing lipstick and rouge manufacturing ($) and possibly not investing in mechanical refinement that could be provided with the same time/costs.

I owned a old mfr Taurus 66 ($149 new) that actually had spiral machining marks in one cartridge chamber of the cyclinder. That type of poor finish has long since been corrected. I shot the crap out of it with zero reliability issues, kept perfect timing and stayed as tight as one would want after thousands of rounds. I would not have any reservations about adding a Taurus revolver back into my inventory.

Top Bottom