• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I'll let Chaps post his narrative. I took more pics, but for reasons unknown, my memory card was blank when I got home from helping. However, Chaps' photo rather says it all...it was big. I was hoping for big cutters, but the ends were broken off. Looked like the first shot was an inch or two from the heart. Hitting the shield with my steel towing hook felt like I was hitting a 4x4. The other side of the hog had some dried mud on it. Chaps is now a member of the SUS VENATOR club, a hog bigger than 250 pounds. Because it's large all the way from the shoulders to the rear, I'd estimate it's close to if not reaching 300 pounds.

UPDATE: Got the tape measure results calculated: He's a 300 pounder!

2F7DC311-692E-43D0-8209-03DB1B14C649.jpeg

Last edited:

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the help Bruce. Interesting night....Went out to the fields around 8:30, saw what appeared to be a small sounder in far distance. I decided to go to a buddies house down the road for a couple hours and check back around 11:00. As I got back to the fields, the deer were abundant but no hogs in sight. i decide to head down between the fields and look towards the east, south east near the tree line and low lying area. I didn’t expect to see anything and didn‘t plan on staying long. I caught a glimpse of a large heat signature near a trail, by the trees. I repositioned my golf cart and realized it was a lone hog moving fast, toward the northwest. After doing multiple hunts with Daezee and Sawman i knew I had to move quickly and try to get on an intercept course, with the wind in my favor. I repositioned my golf cart, got in position and looked and he was heading directly at me, probably 150 yards. I put the cross hairs on the middle of his head and waited. I didn’t want to take a straight on head shot. About 75 yards, he broke left 90 degrees and I had my opportunity. i took the shot and he ran south for around 100 yards. i reloaded and let another fly. Once the dust settled, I couldn’t see him. I said to myself there is no way he escaped without me seeing him running. I walked towards the southeast and picked up the heat signature in the dirt. It was fast and furious. Sawman was supposed to hunt with me and didn’t feel well so this was for him and everything he taught me. It‘s my biggest hog to date.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is for you John.
    You have been granted membership in the "club".
    I have appreciated your friendship over the years. From the first hunt, to helping Bruce and I load the big ones,you have come through.
    Good shot. Great hunt. Wish I could have been there. ---- SAWMAN
    images.jpeg

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bowhnter6pt, great job yourself sir,keeping the hogs somewhat in check from doing their max potential of damage down in your part of Florida. Most farmers and ranchers do not understand how just a couple dedicated hog hunters will effect the outcome of property/crop damage. Especially the hunters with access to their property using firearms and NV/Thermal.
    Please let me know if you are ever up this way (Pensacola area) and we can possibly get together for a hunt and/or we can share our hog hunting tips and, "there I was,and this is no shit" stories.
    STAY SAFE and much success in your future hunts. ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bowhnter6pt, great job yourself sir,keeping the hogs somewhat in check from doing their max potential of damage down in your part of Florida. Most farmers and ranchers do not understand how just a couple dedicated hog hunters will effect the outcome of property/crop damage. Especially the hunters with access to their property using firearms and NV/Thermal.
    Please let me know if you are ever up this way (Pensacola area) and we can possibly get together for a hunt and/or we can share our hog hunting tips and, "there I was,and this is no shit" stories.
    STAY SAFE and much success in your future hunts. ---- SAWMAN

Thanks... same offer here, if you're ever down near Wildwood I'll buy you a nice meal.

I just tossed a little golden goodie out for a pack of hogs I've been watching. Headed to the range to verify a zero on a 16" Aero M5 chambered in .308 and topped with an ACOG TA11E. I'll be using 110gr V-Max, deadly as can be.

I'll ease back this afternoon after work and see if I can't score.

Top Bottom