• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Have 2 of these now, pmr30 with ff2 and 509t with swampfox justice. Is there some way to train with the pistol red dot that dosent involve me pissing away ammo while I figure out how to use it properly???
    A few years back I bought a CheapShot Training Target (about $40) from Amazon. It's about the size of a hockey puck and in the center, about the size of a dime, is the activation sensor. It gets activated when a laser hits the activation sensor. It will piss you off when you don't hit dead center because it will not light up, but at 15-20 feet in my house and I hit the puck I call it good. It's pretty fun, annoys the wife though..lol. I put velcro on the back so I can mount it at different parts of the house, around corners and such, and see if I can it at different angles. It's a lot cheaper than some of the other training targets and fits my needs.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Yep, another issue if coming outside to deal with pests in short order.
    Lasers are fog proof. Always nice to have options. That's one thing the Lasermax guide rods are good for. Keeping one on your CC pistol doesn't take up any extra room or require any special holsters. There when you need it, and no calling time out to put it on, or worse, having to go find it. And it's not always on giving away your position, unless you want it to be

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    really fogged up and blurry in all this rain and humidity, irons were A OK
    I tried the reflex sights on pistols and just could not get used to them at all. Outside in real world conditions like rain and fog and mud the reflex sights are absolutely useless. In a military light infantry role they are a downright dangerous target indicator, so why somebody would want one in a bonafide hostile defensive scenario as a civilian is beyond me. At CC and CQB distances across rooms and down hallways your aiming is going to be 90% instinctual hand/eye coordination anyways. If you can't hit the 6 foot tall 2 foot wide man across the room without finding your sights or a dot then folks we got bigger problems to work on

Last edited:

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As a concealed carry instructor for 15 years my advice is to leave the optics off of a CC pistol and learn combat pistol shooting tactics. All that optic does is make your pistol heavier to carry and fail when you need it most. Also makes it harder to conceal and holsters harder to find. For everyday carry the old K.I.S.S. adage is the best advice. I am sure there will be some tacti-cool operator with 511 pants and fingerless gloves along in a minute to explain why I am wrong.

Dammit Boogan...I just sprayed my monitor screen with a mouthful of Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend....funniest thing I've read in a while....thanks

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    One should carry or not carry whatever they want. It’s a personal choice, not something to judge or be judged over.
    I carry dot at work, mostly irons off duty. However, if I lived West of 9th Ave, I’d probably carry a dot off duty full time as well. LOVE dots on a full size.
    My 5.11’s are issued, so no choice there.
    But whatever.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I can pick up the 32 MOA circle quicker than having just the dot visible.

There’s actually no “picking up.”
    You either have a good, solid, consistent grip and presentation, or you don’t. The dot (or circle, or triangle) is there, or it’s not. “ picking up implies finding, which tells me you’re doing it wrong and need a little more time.
    THAT, in and of itself is the biggest training hurdle, because it requires work and time. Followed only by learning target vs sight (reticle) focus.

I also believe I mentioned it in another thread, but a co-worker’s carry holosun crapped out. Some kind of sudden short that would kill a fresh battery within hours. Warranty process was fast and painless though.
    While RMR is really the only viable option at this point IMO, I am VERY excited for ACRO P-2.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There’s actually no “picking up.”
    You either have a good, solid, consistent grip and presentation, or you don’t. The dot (or circle, or triangle) is there, or it’s not. “ picking up implies finding, which tells me you’re doing it wrong and need a little more time.
    THAT, in and of itself is the biggest training hurdle, because it requires work and time. Followed only by learning target vs sight (reticle) focus.

I also believe I mentioned it in another thread, but a co-worker’s carry holosun crapped out. Some kind of sudden short that would kill a fresh battery within hours. Warranty process was fast and painless though.
    While RMR is really the only viable option at this point IMO, I am VERY excited for ACRO P-2.

Exactly, if you fundamentals are solid the dock will be there because it’s no different than shooting irons. On a different note I used to think the RMR was the only option as well, holosun is quite viable, how do use are more since 2010 when they came out and I’ve had a lot of them go down. They’ve been battery contact issues, turret issues etc. Trijicon’s warranty service is crappy at best. In the last 10 years I’ve sent six or seven warrantee items back and they’re slow, don’t like to answer questions, and get a little bit rude when you ask him how come it’s taken four months to replace something. I still like my RMR‘s, but I’m not locked into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a friend that carries two different pistols for civilian SD. (One at a time)
    Two 4"Colt's chambered in 45ACP. One alloy frame and the other steel.
    These two pistols wear NO sights. Front or rear.
    He can shoot these guns fast,and accurate at the "normal" self defense ranges. He shoots with BOTH eyes open.
    He has been doing this for some years now. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bill, the irrelevance of your “contributions” to the forum never cease to amaze. Thank you for the chuckle.

Don, which model Holosun are you guys running?
    My main issue with RMR is the battery thing. I HATE little screws.

Worth noting (for those from the center for kids who don’t read good) that at this point, OP has seen the little red light. However, I’m curious as to whether he decided to pursue the concept further.

I’m running 507C’s right now.
    I’ve never had an RMR loose zero on a battery replacement for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I recently picked up a Holosun 508t, I like the window and glass clarity better, very similar to the rmr but no tint. The solar panel is a neat touch but for a ccw I feel it's not necessary.
    To Don, I just swapped battery on my RMR06, and yeah same zero

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a friend that carries two different pistols for civilian SD. (One at a time)
    Two 4"Colt's chambered in 45ACP. One alloy frame and the other steel.
    These two pistols wear NO sights. Front or rear.
    He can shoot these guns fast,and accurate at the "normal" self defense ranges. He shoots with BOTH eyes open.
    He has been doing this for some years now. --- SAWMAN
    Let's once again look at the OP, "for those who use optics on their ccw".
    The gun world is very broad and sometimes we have to remember to stay in our lane. ;)
    Unless you have recently acquired some validity to the pistol dot game?

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Um yeah, I'm a total convert.

Attachments

• 20210604_190332.jpg
      20210604_190332.jpg
      2.8 MB · Views: 55

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve noticed that most of the trainers are convinced that it’s the wave of the future. I wanted to give them a try so I’ve now got a range gun or two equipped with them and can say I’m a little more accurate with them.

Top Bottom