• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RVGuru

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    How much difference does it really make whether a 1911 frame is cast or forged? It seams there are pros and cons to both ways.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How much difference does it really make whether a 1911 frame is cast or forged? It seams there are pros and cons to both ways.
    Are you the manufacturer that does this for a living where every penny saved is a penny of profit, or are you the end user that has to use this product to keep living? Is your 1911 going to have a zero tolerance between the frame and slide? There are a lot more processes required to mate cast parts with zero tolerances. It's only a concern in match grade 1911's, shot by Top Competitor's, in Top Competition Matches. JMHO. Yet I don't own any cast framed 1911's personally. Then again, all my 1911's have a zero tolerance between slide and frame. Perhaps I'm a 1911 SNOB?

Last edited:

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Functionality there realistically aren't anything differences. Forged parts will last a long time, but a cast frame by a reputable manufacturer will be quite good as well. A lot of folks seem to not get that, even though a part is cast, there are a lot of finishing steps done after the fact. Edges are cleaned down, smoothed, and gauged so that tolerances are correct and precise. There are certainly examples of bad cast guns (a certain American clone of Steyr comes to mind which name I forget, Ian on Forgotten Weapons covered it) but generally speaking a newly made cast frame is gonna be quite good.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bill Ruger introduced the gun industry to precision investment casting . Even the Ruger M 77 bolt action recievers are cast . When done right cast is as good . As far as 1911's go I worry more about is a frame dimensionally correct & holes have been located correctly . It all comes down to intended purpose / use in my mind .
    A dedicated target only range gun barrel fit / lockup , trigger quality , bushing fit & sights are my focus . To me its function is to shoot high scores , all else is secondary .
    A dedicated Duty , CCW / Home Defense my focus is on flawless feeding / extraction , no failures period . I feel that if I'm gonna bet the farm , I want the best tool I can afford .
    The question is how do you feel about a cast frame ? If it bothers you get a forged one . Slides go forged only .
    Been years since I bought any slides / frames . Caspian frames are cast as are Ruger , some of the Rem 1911's too . Cylinder & Slide , Nighthawk & slew of others have built on Caspian frames .
    JEM used to have IMHO the best forged frames that were correct & true . STI used to make the best / truest slides . Les Baer frames / slides are expensive , good & a real PITA to build on.........every frigiin' hole will have to be reamed .........never again .

RVGuru

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I went with the cast frame and picked up a Dan Wesson, PMA-S and I’m very happy with it.

Top Bottom