• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well it's time to get the ball rolling on finding a career.
    I know for most decent jobs I'm going to need a higher education whether it's college or trade school. Just looking for ideas on what to do that I'll be able to get a job in, would hate to go through schooling and not be able to get hired. I have no clue of what I want to do just wanting to do as of now.

Im also considering military or law enforcement if I don't go the college/trade school route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have you been working anywhere? What about trying out different fields as a sort of helper/apprentice to see if you even like it. Some things seem glamorous until your hip deep into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm currently doing home remodeling/ carpentry work. The work isn't bad but it's not what I want to do for a living. I had an IT internship and I was good at that type of work but being behind a computer all day isn't for me. I went through 4 years of telecommunications classes in high school and I'm certified in it, but once again I don't think that line of work is for me.

As for interests, not exactly sure but I enjoy working hands on.
    I'm book smart and common sense smart, so I can figure out how to do most anything.

As for military, if I go into it im going to make sure it's something I can get a job in afterwards. I scored really high on the asvab and believe I'm eligible for about every job.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No matter what you choose to do, if you plan on optimizing your income, that path involves leading people, teams and organizations. If you go to school, you do need to have a goal and path or you may be disappointed with the results. Some careers like accounting, HR, materials management, safety are very transferable across different industries and give you more options. Supervision is always in demand and a great path to leadership positions if you have the skill and will to compete. Sales careers can be very lucrative if you posses the drive and traits to excel. A career is not a job, but a path and journey in a field of interest or technology of interest. You can always change your mind, but you really need to pick a course and goal before you set off on your journey and don't get distracted. There will be no better time in your life to pursue your interest than now, at a young age, and before you have a family counting on you. Good luck...but really, luck has nothing to do with it.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Was that Tele. training at West Florida? Are you wanting to stay local to Pensacola? Plenty of opportunities in this area and some great companies to work for. If you want a mix of outside/office work I'd look into electrical or civil engineering.
    If you want to work on powerlines in all kinds of weather conditions, I know a guy...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You need a good foundation, the military provides just that, and you can do many fields (such as medical) with free training and decent pay while serving. If you want to bad enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    If you can find somebody to let you shadow what you might want to do it can be helpful. Most people are more than happy to share what they do. You can also look at some career tests at UWF or PSC that look at both skills and interests. I have been working with a non profit defense contractor for more than 20 years. There are very few people I have come in contact with that didn't get a lot out of the military. The few that didn't usually had themselves to blame.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you do military, do some soul searching first. Understand what you are capable of. Not just physically, anybody can pass the physical requirements. Know what you can handle and choose your branch and specialty. If you know that you cannot blast people in the face, watch people get blown in half, and be able to charlie mike, then consider something in a more supportive role. Finance, mechanics, etc. nothing wrong with support, when support people actually work. War is not glamorous and I am sure there are more than a few old timers here from Nam and the current wars that can tell you that. No one earns their paycheck like the Infantry and the like, but then again no one gets wasted and dishes out face to face carnage like them. Remember if you give up or freeze you die and that is one thing, if you freeze up and get your buddy killed, that is unforgivable. Soul search my young friend. I have seen far too many cry wolf and far too many get someone hurt or killed due to their incompetence. Know yourself and then decide on what it is you should do in the military. If that means you are an admin clerk, then you be the best damn admin clerk the military has every seen and I guarantee you will be respected for it.
    Just my small piece of advice on joining our great military. Good luck

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In the USN some of the most respected rates were the people that pay you,people that keep your personal records streight,and the hospital corpsmen. These are the people that take care of the rest. To this day,I still call every Navy Corpsman "Doc" even if he or she is a E-2.
    Join the military,get as much training as you can in the first four years. If you like the life,stick with it. If you choose to get out,you will leave with all the benefits of being a veteran . . . . . and a ton of pride of having served your/our country. --- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think your first step is going to figure out what career field you want to pursue. You've already eliminated a couple that you've tried and didn't like. You say you're good with your hands. Have you looked up trade schools online and looked at the list of trades that are available? Give it try, you might see one that peaks your interest. Then it's just a matter of going to trade school or trying to get that job in the military.

My son is at Troy working on Surveying and Geomatics degree. Surveying these days uses a lot of expensive electronic equipment and satellite images and he's find the school work very challenging. The skills learned through his degree qualify him for a bunch of different jobs related to the Surveying and Geomatics field so when he graduates he'll have several different job paths he can take. Not a lot of people get this degree so the companies are lining up to hire them when they graduate from college. After his sophomore and junior year he'll be working a Co-Op with companies to get experience before he graduates.

I'm just throwing this out there for an example. He didn't pick his major until he visited the school and got all the pamphlets fort he different degree programs. Once you decide what you want to do you'll be able to figure out what direction to take IMO.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Most people think being a LEO is easy, it's not. It's very demanding everyday, and mentally and physically challenging, not only at the workplace, but at home as well. You have to "want" to be a LEO, and have a desire to want to "help" people.
    It's not for everyone, and if you do not have the mindset for it, you will get burned-out from it. I'd suggest if you're figuring on LE, to join the Army as an MP (Military Police), as they have the best program, as that's what you'll do during your tour. If you're worried or have self reservations as to where they may send you, don't be for the 1st year. They have a guaranteed Duty Station when you enlist, IF you request it. Meaning you could request Ft. Rucker, Al., only about 3 hours from Pensacola. You could come home every weekend if you want. Also, if you decide that LE isn't your cup of tea, you can OJT (on job training) for a different MOS (military occupational specialty). Who knows, maybe you'll like it. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom