• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Spotted in our back yard in the Gulf Breeze area. I think it is probably a harmless garter snake variety but am not sure...in any case, the wife is now afraid to go out to her garden. Looked young, about average thumb diameter at the largest point, maybe up to 18" long. -Thanks.
    snake2.jpg

ArcDrone

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rounded eyes and pupils, side facing, not so broad head into neck region, and vertical stripes on the lower jaw tell me it's nonvenomous. As for the checkboard pattern on the back with the single stripe: Garter Snake. Nearly full sized.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While most snakes are not pit vipers or the coral snake, do not assume that they are completely harmless. In order words avoid being bitten, especially do not let them lock on to you. Some snakes do have weak venom in their saliva that normally does not bother humans, but there have been exceptions. There is also the chance of an infection.
    Garter snakes are among the most common snakes in North America, with a range spanning from Canada to Florida. Often kept as pets, they are relatively harmless, although some species do possess a mild neurotoxic venom. However, it is not dangerous to humans.
    Bite
    While most species are classified as harmless (non-venomous), their bite can cause minor swelling or itching in humans, and anyone bitten by a garter snake should clean the bite thoroughly. It is not ultimately a cause for concern. Allergic reactions to the saliva have been known, but cases are extremely rare, according to the ADW.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Willie Nelson wannabe. James is a old hippy. He emerged from the late 60's playing Purple Haze by Jimmy Hendricks on air guitar.
    NOW . . . living the way that he was taught by Willie Nelson and Arlo Guthrie. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are two garter said to be common in Florida. I did not check, but if there is anything else in Alabama since we are so close will have it here also.
    I know the garter snakes that I grew up with in the middle west would bite you if you messed with them.
    1590796150385.png

1590796232803.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Willie Nelson wannabe. James is a old hippy. He emerged from the late 60's playing Purple Haze by Jimmy Hendricks on air guitar.
    NOW . . . living the way that he was taught by Willie Nelson and Arlo Guthrie. ---- SAWMAN
    The original hippy musician, father of Arlo Guthrie and was the author of '
    This Land Is Your Land'

1590797239001.png

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Yep. But I did serve in TWO branches of the armed forces, now I do whatever the hell I want

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Copied from elsewhere with comment by TxPlowgirl
    Back when I was a kid it was my job to gather the eggs and I was warned about the gopher, king and black snakes around the barn and not to try to kill them because if I hurt 1 I would get my hide tanned.

Well, I come close a time or 2 because they would bite the heck out of me when I tried to gather eggs in the nests. I finally got 1 of my dad's old welding gloves because I got tired of getting bit. Those things hurt and yes, they will draw blood. I hate snakes to this day because of that.

I'd go in and show my dad the bite and he'd laugh and tell me go get my other hand bit so i'd have a matching pair.

Top Bottom