• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shell plate yes, I neck sized a few with 357 dies , also used the seating die to seat bullets . But I didn’t crimp as I don’t do that to ammo that’s being used in a bolt action rifle. ultimately you will buy dies for it , I bought a lee set for about 35 dollars from midsouth , they are having a sale for the next two days and if your order is over $53 , then shipping is only 53 cents.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Shell plate yes, I neck sized a few with 357 dies , also used the seating die to seat bullets . But I didn’t crimp as I don’t do that to ammo that’s being used in a bolt action rifle. ultimately you will buy dies for it , I bought a lee set for about 35 dollars from midsouth , they are having a sale for the next two days and if your order is over $53 , then shipping is only 53 cents.
    Are you not crimping because your loading subsonic?? What powder for rifle loads? ( I have x39 powder, cfe black) and 357 hp. Just a theory question. Not loading anytime soon. Thanks!

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t crimp rifle cartridges that I’m using in a bolt action rifle , sub or super sonic. I’m using 9 grains of trail boss in a starline case, a 7 1/2 Remington primer and a 180 grain Hornady XTP pistol bullet. The bullet is .357 so you have to use starline cases , Winchester cases have thick necks and won’t chamber if you use a .357 bullet. I’m getting just over 1000 fps , I’ve shot several predators with this load and got good expansion out to 120 or so yards . My groups are 3/4 inch or so at 70 yards . That’s the range I sight all my subsonic loads at. That combination is very quiet in a suppressed bolt action rifle, not much louder than a suppressed 22 LR , till it hits the intended target.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I don’t crimp rifle cartridges that I’m using in a bolt action rifle , sub or super sonic. I’m using 9 grains of trail boss in a starline case, a 7 1/2 Remington primer and a 180 grain Hornady XTP pistol bullet. The bullet is .357 so you have to use starline cases , Winchester cases have thick necks and won’t chamber if you use a .357 bullet. I’m getting just over 1000 fps , I’ve shot several predators with this load and got good expansion out to 120 or so yards . My groups are 3/4 inch or so at 70 yards . That’s the range I sight all my subsonic loads at. That combination is very quiet in a suppressed bolt action rifle, not much louder than a suppressed 22 LR , till it hits the intended target.
    "Sounds" lol. like your enjoying this round. I have an AR upper and my SIL has the ruger ranch bolt. Have had 0 issues from the AR and it has good accuracy. ( factory ammo) I haven't shot any critters with it yet....

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    In the interest of science, I full length sized with a .357 magnum sizer die a .350 Legend Starline piece of brass that had already been full length sized in a Lee .350 Legend sizer die. Here's what happened (photo to follow in a couple of minutes):

1) The .357 sizer squeezed the case .004" to .010" smaller (it sized it smaller the closer to the base of the brass you got) (you can both feel and see it).

2) In order to go up into the die enough that it got deprimed, the brass went up so far that the mouth got all torn up and left part of it in the upper part of the die when the brass was removed.

A627AE72-AA30-44AB-BED4-7217FCC1ACBB.jpeg

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe that would have been the case had I have tried to size the cases any more than I did . I’ve had to use the starline cases because the bullet that I want to use is .357, I believe you posted that you sized some .357 bullets downtown .356 . I’ve been wanting to try that with the hornady Bullets I have. But haven’t tried to as of yet, is there any down side to sizing them down to .356 that you are aware of ?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    No real downside other than they have some "springback" when pushed through the sizer. I.e., they springback a little and end up around .3565 or so instead of coming out at .356. These were Remington 158gr semi-jacket HP pistol bullets. Lee push through die...it did measure .356 inside. Had the same springback thing happen when running 5000 .308 "oval" bullets (distorted from the military demill process) through a .308 die...they'd come out good enough to load, but still had some oval to them...shot them all up in a M1919A4 BMG and it didn't care.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not an answer to the question, but an expander button may help in some of the situations discussed. NOE makes an excellent product in a wide array of sizes. I got several for loading lead boolits. Check em out.
    Good luck!

Top Bottom