• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems every time I cut fire wood the deer show up. I'm gonna surprise 'em one day ;-)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Different sound in the vid than in my Fox Pro that is labeled "fawn in distress". In the vid,sounds to me like two different varieties of rabbit "in distress". One is a cottontail and the other IS NOT a snowshoe.

My take on the vid is this. Deer can be very inquisitive animals. In my experiences they are drawn to quite a few different sounds. Some are like ringing the dinner bell and some are like other animals. The dinner bell is: 1. a tractor in a field chopping corn. 2. a skidder or harvester working in the woods. 3. most any fruit tree harvester 4. a corn slinger on the back of a truck or ATV that had gone down the same roadway time after time. 4. A peanut turning machine(this is also a huge draw for coyotes and hogs).

Calling coyotes in Maine I had deer come to the call of dying snowshoe rabbits. If I "educated" the coyotes on that sound,sometimes I would switch to a dying jackrabbit. I had deer(bucks and does),coyotes,and black bear come to those sounds also.

I often use a fawn in distress call while night hunting coyotes. A hog will come to that sound also.

I believe that the deer in the vid were in their "inquisitive mode". Also in their "something ain't right so I'm stomping my feet" mode. They were probably moving laterally to the sound to try to gain the wind. They also seemed to be in what I call their "frustrated mode". This "unofficial" behavior was confirmed to me by a Maine State Biologist some time ago. This is my opinion(only)on this behavior. A deer uses the sense of sight,hearing,and smell to come up with quite a few conclusions on a daily basis. These inputs that mother nature provides will allow the deer to feed,breed,escape,seek shelter,remain perfectly motionless,etc,etc. If a deer fails to put the necessary things together to come to a conclusion,they sometimes simply flee,and sometimes they display "frustrated behavior". Actually a human will sometimes do the same thing based on these and other inputs that nature provides.

These are simply my beliefs(and others) and I have never seen a "study" done on this subject. The old time Maine Guides are the first ones to talk to me about this deer behavior. They are the ones that opened my eyes to it. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    He was calling yotes, the sound was their Jackrabbit in distress call. His bleat doe in estrus and buck fighting has been very reliable also. I downloaded the ones I did not hAve free from fox pro so am set!

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been doing this for three years now and shot a few does doing it during archery season.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not electronic... just a fawn bleat. We always have a fawn bleat in our bags during archery season.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use my grunt call and hold just above the doe bleat and make it whine. Works almost everytime. Heck I whiffed on a doe in a group of 5 does and called them back in less than a minute. But got busted because they came back out right under me lol

BuckNip works really well in archery too. It smells like black licorice and deer love it!

Top Bottom