• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toma

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I was traveling through AL today and called a couple of the larger guns shops to inquire about a rifle I'm interested in. Both places told me that because i am a FL resident that I cannot buy a rifle over the counter due to the FL 3 day wait period. They further said a resident from pretty much any other state could. I was a little surprised to hear this and still don't understand why AL is enforcing a FL law. For comparison what if FL raised their drinking age to 30. Would a FL resident under 30 not be allowed to drink alcohol in AL?
    Can someone explain this to me?

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought the 3 day was on handguns and if you have a ccp you dont have to wait

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Last gun I bought in Alabama was a rifle for my kid at Styx river. Not an issue or a wait even without a permit. For pistols, they have to send it to an FFL. That was in December 2021. Likely store policy or a misinformed employee

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    This is why I'll never buy from an FFL ever again as long as I can help it. All FFL's are complicit in the tyranny of infringing on our God given and constitutionally affirmed birthrights like 10 different ways

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    3 day wait is on any firearm if you don't have a permit.

2) The waiting period does not apply in the following circumstances:

(a) When a firearm is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.
    (b) To a trade-in of another firearm.
    (c) To the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, upon a person’s successfully completing a minimum of a 16-hour hunter safety course and possessing a hunter safety certification card issued under s. 379.3581. A person who is exempt from the hunter safety course requirements under s. 379.3581 and holds a valid Florida hunting license is exempt from the mandatory waiting period under this section for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun.
    (d) When a rifle or shotgun is being purchased by a law enforcement officer or correctional officer, as those terms are defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9), or a servicemember as defined in s. 250.01.

toma

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'm beginning to think this is some reciprocal deal enforced at the AL state level where an AL resident has a 3 day waiting if buying a long gun in FL so they are forcing the same on us. Kind of stupid if that is the case as that take revenue out of their state.

Official Welcome To Alabama road sign
    360_F_540445858_GcHGBxuJxNV318NkLPuJP9ZqwfLaAVx6.jpg

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Funny... I seem to recall hearing something similar from a dealer up there as well. What a mess...

And let's not forget the wonderful "permitless concealed-only carry" we were just "granted", which means if you give up your permit, you'll be back to three-day waits when you buy in-state.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had more than one "dealer/shop" tell me. Long guns, no problem. Handguns; not so much. Even had one tell me they absolutely could not sell a handgun to anyone from out of state. So, we touched/handled until we knew what we wanted, back in FL.

In the end, IMO, some have no clue, and some just don't want to deal with the BS, unless the profit is worth it.

If ya don't want the $, I'll just find what I want somewhere else. And probably won't come back to you, either. First impressions...

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had more than one "dealer/shop" tell me. Long guns, no problem. Handguns; not so much. Even had one tell me they absolutely could not sell a handgun to anyone from out of state. So, we touched/handled until we knew what we wanted, back in FL.

In the end, IMO, some have no clue, and some just don't want to deal with the BS, unless the profit is worth it.

If ya don't want the $, I'll just find what I want somewhere else. And probably won't come back to you, either. First impressions...
    If I recall correctly, federal law allows dealers to sell long guns to buyers from adjacent states, but not handguns. I guess state laws, waiting periods, permits, etc., can muddy even those waters. But federal law says private sellers cannot sell any firearms across state lines.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Adjacent states hasn't been a thing in a long time.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is why I'll never buy from an FFL ever again as long as I can help it. All FFL's are complicit in the tyranny of infringing on our God given and constitutionally affirmed birthrights like 10 different ways
    Don't shoot the messengers. The repercussions are pretty extensive if we don't follow rules. Not only that, but we are hated by most of Amerikkkuhs corporations, financial institutions, and beaurocrats. I would bet anything that we are the biggest target right now and have been for a while.
    Same could be said about paying taxes. You are directly funding the greatest administration of Amerikkkuhs short history.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Read the second half:

In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is definitely not law! Several local gun stores in Baldwin County AL regularly sell long guns to FL residents. Academy in Foley won't sell to FL residents but that is company policy NOT the law. Bass Pro in Spanish Fort used to sell long guns to FL and MS residents not sure about now.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It is definitely not law! Several local gun stores in Baldwin County AL regularly sell long guns to FL residents. Academy in Foley won't sell to FL residents but that is company policy NOT the law. Bass Pro in Spanish Fort used to sell long guns to FL and MS residents not sure about now.
    BINGO! Just checked... I "recall correctly" : )

Don't see "adjacent/bordering state" anywhere in the law, but that is always the explanation I've received.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Read the second half:

In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.
    I READ the whole thing. Have done so several times. I post this and a few others every few months because it comes up all the time. This is stickied in sales section as well. I post the link so people get accurate information instead of "I think" and the "guy told me".

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Way to go Nate - messing up a perfectly good rant by posting facts.

Top Bottom