• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Anyone use bullseye for 45 colt? I've read a few places that people don't like it for 45 colt, uses a very small charge in a large case.
    Have data from hornady that uses bullseye and a 250 gr XTP. I wouldn't think they'd publish that if it was dangerous

I plan on buying 1000 or so 250 gr plated bullets from everglades, I bought the powder, but I'm just now seeing these possible issues

carvertim

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not my favorite powder for 45 Colt, but I have several load established with 250 gr and 200 gr lrnfp projectiles. If one is worried about the small amount of powder and inconsistent ignition, I have never had a problem in almost 20 years. My biggest concern would be double charging, but I load on a Square Deal, and have never encountered it.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Not my favorite powder for 45 Colt, but I have several load established with 250 gr and 200 gr lrnfp projectiles. If one is worried about the small amount of powder and inconsistent ignition, I have never had a problem in almost 20 years. My biggest concern would be double charging, but I load on a Square Deal, and have never encountered it.
    Regular large pistol or magnum? I wouldn't think magnum.....but you never know till you ask

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I shoot 45 colt for cowboy action shooting and I load 5.5 grains of Shooters World Clean shot with a 200 grain bullet. I believe there is data for 250 gr bullets. Bullseye works great in 45 acp.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I may just try and sell the new bottle of bullseye and get something else. Bought it before I read up on it too much

carvertim

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It will absolutely work for 45 Colt, just need to follow your loading procedure, and check powder loads. I use CCI LPP, but the Winchester brand is mark LPP/LPM. I really like unique when I can find it, but also have a stash of 700X that works wonderful. 45 Colt has loads for a lot of different powder, and each powder as their fans, in the end watch for pressure signs, load them and then shoot them. You might try a ladder load, stepping up .1 grain at a time doing 5 or ten in each level to see which you firearm likes. Stay away from the magnum powders like H110 unless shooting in a large frame Ruger, otherwise it is hard to go wrong if you stay in published ranges. BTW Black Powder load are a hoot to shoot out of a 45 Colt.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Might not be dangerous, but I do wonder if it will be accurate and what the extreme spread on the velocity will be. I've always used Unique for .45 Colt, but I am curious what Bullseye will get you! If you decide to do it, an AAR would be great!

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    You can always use a filler to bridge the gap between the back of the bullet and the flash hole. That way the primer flash does have far to go before it reaches the powder. Could be something simple like straw, manufactured or natural.

Top Bottom