• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't need one, but want one. Have considered/researched the DP12, KSG12, and M&P12.

Use: Winning. Home defense, truck gun, clearing my intended path from vehicle to the closest "safe" position.

Needs: Reliable. Ambidextrious controls. Ease of operation/use regardless of hand size/physical size/strength. Load/cycle/shoot anything I can get my hands on.

Do not want: Full-sized shotgun. Detachable magazines. Auto loaders; I want to "feel" what's going on vs being surprised by a WTF at the most inopportune moment.

Where I'm at: Number 1, S&W M&P12. Number 2, KSG12. DP12 is falling behind due to size, weight, FTF/fire issues, inability to load/cycle between two types of ammo, and price.

Soliciting, experience, input, and opinion. Thanks.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    They have already had one recall on the m&p.... let someone else be the beta tester.
    I have the ksg12. I like it but you need a handstop on it and run it like you mean it.( no soft shucking) its got some weight when fully loaded. Look at the ksg7 too. I've never tried the minishells in it but have heard they work.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I'd consider the DP12 a novelty gun; lots of fun at the range, but not really that useful. I had one for a while, and it is so dang big and heavy. I'm not a small guy, but it was a burden to carry around. I also had issues with the magazines randomly dumping rounds on recoil.

I don't have experience with the M&P, but it's been recalled at least once and it seems DOA. The KSG's been around for a while and is well regarded. I'd go a step further personally and look at the KS7. 7 round capacity and like 2 lbs lighter than the KSG. Really nimble in the hands.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the DP12 and I have to say I really like it. Yes it is heavy but that tames the recoil. The hardest thing to get used to is pulling the trigger twice , it’s a pump shotgun so the instinct is to pump as soon as you pull the trigger, when you do that you pump a round out. That all being said it put 16 rounds down range pretty fast cause you don’t have to rotate the magazine.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    This is a 12 minute video but it has a lot of information you may or may not have consider.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    +1 for the KSG12.
    Lightweight comparatively speaking, ability to switch between cylinders for different loads. Works great with mini shells. Nice red dot with BUIS, stout vertical fore grip|flashlight combo and unleash 24 rounds of mini hell on anything on the receiving end. There is a good aftermarket too.
    Rack it like you mean it and practice getting at your cylinder switch.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Of the 3 the OP listed, KSG. Had a KS7 and it beats you like an unwanted step child...

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They have already had one recall on the m&p.... let someone else be the beta tester.
    I have the ksg12. I like it but you need a handstop on it and run it like you mean it.( no soft shucking) its got some weight when fully loaded. Look at the ksg7 too. I've never tried the minishells in it but have heard they work.
    I do appreciate the lighter weight and lesser "footprint" of the KSG when considering it might be something I grab with one hand and exit a vehicle. Thanks! Maybe I'm overly-obsessed at the moment, but I'm just hung up on the ability to load the dual tubes with two types of ammo.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the DP12 and I have to say I really like it. Yes it is heavy but that tames the recoil. The hardest thing to get used to is pulling the trigger twice , it’s a pump shotgun so the instinct is to pump as soon as you pull the trigger, when you do that you pump a round out. That all being said it put 16 rounds down range pretty fast cause you don’t have to rotate the magazine.

Thanks. The conditioning myself to not pump after firing a round is a concen for me. I've used pump shotguns for so long, I shoot and rack 'em without thinking. I know I could overcome that, but I'm not sure I want to (?).

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1 for the KSG12.
    Lightweight comparatively speaking, ability to switch between cylinders for different loads. Works great with mini shells. Nice red dot with BUIS, stout vertical fore grip|flashlight combo and unleash 24 rounds of mini hell on anything on the receiving end. There is a good aftermarket too.
    Rack it like you mean it and practice getting at your cylinder switch.
    Thanks. I do like the minishell option for family practice and general fooling around. The after market is also a plus.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks. Yeah, wife ain't gonna play the brutal recoil game. Heavier (less recoil) is better for her.
    The mini shells are a good home defense option too. Definitely lighten up the recoil and will get the job done.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The mini shells are a good home defense option too. Definitely lighten up the recoil and will get the job done.
    Thanks. In over 50 years I've never fired a mini shell. Good to know and should make the wife more comfortable about recoil.

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If it would help you to handle and shoot one, and if you are in Pensacola-ish area, and if you have a place to shoot, I might could be
    persuaded to let you borrow one for a test drive.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You's freakin' guys! Between here and another forum, I'm steadily mentally distancing myself from the KSG and looking more at the KS7 for strictly a truck gun. All good, thanks. I'm sure something else will be along to catch my eye, too. Squirrel!!

Top Bottom