• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • suppo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New question. I'm a noob at this, so I'll start with what maybe a dumb question. Can I use the 150 or 170 grain .308, round nose cannelure bullets I use for 30-30 reloading for reloading .308/30-06/300 Savage? I realize there are accuracy/ballistics draw backs, but what are the pros/cons, and more important, safety issues?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    They should work well. You may find someone to trade with if you would rather have a different style bullet. I know I would trade 150s.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    First, I would ask what is your end game ? Your intended use ? As to your question, YES, no problem, in face, some load the RN/FP's when hunting in a heavy brush area or when down loading a 308 to be used by their children.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    As has been mentioned already by more experienced hand loaders than myself. They will work fine. Do you have the other .30 caliber rifles you mentioned? Are you attempting to stock a standardized or universal bullet type for all that you want to load for? The reason I ask is I can't think of another caliber that has more bullet configurations and weights than the .30. You could achieve better ballistic coefficient and terminal performance with a spire point in the other calibers mentioned. However, I think the 30-06 when first developed for the government was a round nose bullet much like the 30-30 but heavier. There is a lot of great information on line if you have the time to search for it.

suppo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First, I would ask what is your end game ? Your intended use ? As to your question, YES, no problem, in face, some load the RN/FP's when hunting in a heavy brush area or when down loading a 308 to be used by their children.
    General use plinking, hunting, kids rifle fam.

suppo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As has been mentioned already by more experienced hand loaders than myself. They will work fine. Do you have the other .30 caliber rifles you mentioned? Are you attempting to stock a standardized or universal bullet type for all that you want to load for? The reason I ask is I can't think of another caliber that has more bullet configurations and weights than the .30. You could achieve better ballistic coefficient and terminal performance with a spire point in the other calibers mentioned. However, I think the 30-06 when first developed for the government was a round nose bullet much like the 30-30 but heavier. There is a lot of great information on line if you have the time to search for it.
    Yup got all 4; 30 30/.308/30-06/300 Savage. thanks!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I wish I could find some .30-30 Sierra 150...haven't seen them in years. I had to settle for RN Hornady last time I bought .30-30 bullets like they use in their loads...and your going to plink with them you have so many :D

suppo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish I could find some .30-30 Sierra 150...haven't seen them in years. I had to settle for RN Hornady last time I bought .30-30 bullets like they use in their loads...and your going to plink with them you have so many :D
    The good news is apparently there is no problem using them. The bad news is it was nearly 50 years ago that I reloaded 30 30 (and only 30 30) and I have almost none. So I guess the plinking' is out when and if I do find a source.

suppo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The good news is apparently there is no problem using them. The bad news is it was nearly 50 years ago that I reloaded 30 30 (and only 30 30) and I have almost none. So I guess the plinking' is out when and if I do find a source.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    So the round and flat in a semi auto may be a bit questionable with feeding. But if it works it works.
    Probably only if it is tube fed

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Probably only if it is tube fed
    I'd think mag fed may have some issues with a round nose or flat point , due to feeding ramps and oal length issues. ( just picturing a bigger version of the issue of the 300 blackout trying to run 110gr carbine bullets

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom