• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't seen any posts relating to bullet Casting, does anyone here pour their own?

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do.
    The Obama era price hike scare got me into casting.
    Gotta thank him for puttin me in business.

Do 9mm, .357 in different grains. .452 in different grains, ,457 for the trapdoor, .308 in different grains, and some .311 for the Mosin but really need a .313 mold.

I do the shake & bake powder coating and then size after they oven bake.
    Sometimes do the lube with Lee liquid Alox.
    Do gas checks with all rifle casting except the 405gr for the trapdoor.

Got the Lee Magnum Melter and use a ladle with that one.
    Also have the 10# Lee melter that has a dispenser and have to keep a eye on the valve on that one else I drip molten lead everywhere.

Its fun.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I also cast, got into it when I started playing with black powder cartridge rifles. I cast 38 special, 45 acp, 38-55, 40-65 and 45-70.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've done some casting but haven't done it in many years. I have a friend who is into it big time.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I cast and shoot thousands each year. I‘ve not hunted with them, but did dispatch some trapped wild hogs with the 12mm Swedish rolling block.

6.5 Swede
    7mm Mauser
    7.5 Swiss
    256 Win mag
    30-30 AI
    30-40 Krag
    30-06
    8x58r
    44 Special
    43 Spanish
    11.7 Danish
    45-70
    12x44 Swede
    303 British
    310 Cadet

I might try casting for the 32 H&R magnum, as I already have a suitable mold for it.

Last edited:

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Used to, I once told someone after IVAN that my shop wouldn't blow away because of several ton's of "lead" actually different blends .
    Used a lot of "boolits" when I was shooting pistol silhouettes.
    gotta do the "bucket list" on my collection of molds and alloy's

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Casting is a great way to get obsolete cartridges to shoot again, IF you can find the bullet mold for sale…Lyman has dc’d many over the years such as the 323471 (a heavy long 8mm needed for my 8mm Danish Krag rifle for proper feeding).

fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You thinking about "sticking you toe into the pond" ?
    Actually, I've been Casting for quite a while. I started reloading around 1977 and in the late 80's I got hooked on USPSA 3 gun matches (was living in Texas at the time) and started Casting my 12gauge slugs. Store bought slugs were expensive and hotter than what I needed so I loaded my own. Once I started Casting, more and more molds just kept accumulating in my loading room. Being a fan of lever guns and big revolvers made it practical. I also love hunting with bullets that I've poured. Lee has a 310gr mold for my .44mags that hits like a ton of bricks when pushed with a healthy dose of H110.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually, I've been Casting for quite a while. I started reloading around 1977 and in the late 80's I got hooked on USPSA 3 gun matches (was living in Texas at the time) and started Casting my 12gauge slugs. Store bought slugs were expensive and hotter than what I needed so I loaded my own. Once I started Casting, more and more molds just kept accumulating in my loading room. Being a fan of lever guns and big revolvers made it practical. I also love hunting with bullets that I've poured. Lee has a 310gr mold for my .44mags that hits like a ton of bricks when pushed with a healthy dose of H110.
    Looks a lot like these.

IMG_0922.JPG

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just be careful. Lead is dangerous stuff and most people don’t use proper protection.

I don’t think that the cost is worth losing my faculties over - but I do see it being important with obsolete rounds.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I lubed and sized about 1K 38SPL once...if I had to pour them first...I might stop all together. A buddy and I have a chunk of lead with a handle in it...gotta pick it up with the forklift...if I eva have to I might start pouring....or watch him pour while I size and lube.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Just be careful. Lead is dangerous stuff and most people don’t use proper protection.

I don’t think that the cost is worth losing my faculties over - but I do see it being important with obsolete rounds.
    Don’t eat while casting and wash your hands afterwards and you should be fine. Wear long pants. I wear a leather apron covering my chest and lap and wear glasses.

After casting for years, I developed anemia. Had a lead level blood test…no lead detected. Turned out to be intestinal cancer slowly bleeding. Don’t worry…30cm of small intestine and 7 of 14 lymph nodes positive removed in 2000 with odds of 50/50 I’d live five years due to spread and size. Do the math…it’s been 23 years this August. I’m in the Camp Lejeune lawsuit.

Southalabama

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lead seems to be harder to source now than in years past.

Where are y’all getting lead?

Top Bottom