• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not really an AR guy, qualified with the M16 many times but never really warmed up to the platform. Now I'm thinking I need an AR just to have one. Looking for a name brand collapsible stock budget gun. Don't really want to build one myself. Based on my experience with Ruger and S&W, I'm leaning that direction. Recommendations?

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Either the Ruger 556 or M&P-15 Sport are solid choices! The M&P has a lifetime warranty if that is important to you. An older Bushmaster (made in ME), Armalite, or of course Colt would be a good option as well in the used market. Good luck!

TRTXHunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ruger 5.56 and S&W M&P 15 Sport are popular budget rifles. Other options would include Palmetto State Armory, or Aero Precision if you'd like a nicer-budget friendly rifle. Either way, I would opt for a model of either make that does not include a fixed front sight post. Unless you plan to run iron sights, of course (insert Old Corps comment here).

If you plan to throw a low power scope on it, I recommend a vortex strike eagle LPVO 1-8x24mm. If you plan to use a red dot/holographic, good names in the market are Vortex, Eotech (older models are cheaper now, and still good), Sig Sauer, Holosun, Primary Arms. You certainly get what you pay for in the optics realm these days.

Memorial Day sales won't last long. Happy hunting!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Rock River arms is a few bucks more. Also a nice factory piece.
    I have a Springfield saint bcm version I'd sell.
    It has all the things your looking for and a set of metal flip up sights. It is like new. Only 30rds down it.
    All bcm furniture, nickel boron trigger
    16" 556. I'd let it go for 850

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hickock 45 seems to like the Ruger (except for the trigger). I think I'll start looking for a deal on a Ruger.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Radical Firearms does a budget gun pretty good. As above, S&W Sport 2 is also solid.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hickock 45 seems to like the Ruger (except for the trigger). I think I'll start looking for a deal on a Ruger.

Triggers are an easy (and usually needed) upgrade. So many options and decent prices for many. May be the only real upgrade you'll need or want. You might want to check the one S20 has mentioned above.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've noticed that DPMS Panther Arms seems to be operational once more, anyone looked into or purchased from them recently?

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The Ruger has some proprietary parts but that may not be a concern for you.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Another option is Palmetto State. They do sell complete AR’s if you want it 100% completely assembled, or you have the option of buying a complete upper and a complete lower from them. This gives you the option of getting a somewhat customized AR for a budget price, and I don’t think putting a complete upper on a complete lower is really “building” an AR, lol. Their complete lower with enhanced trigger is often on sale for $150, and you can get one of their nicer uppers with FN barrels and parts for probably less than a new S&W or Ruger AR.

Shadowtech

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All those are great suggestions but in my research I’ve become partial to Great Lakes Firearms. Comes in 223 wylde for under 600 and made in Michigan USA seems to be a good bang for your buck
    I ended up going a different direction and got M10X 7.62x39 uses any ak mag and I just prefer the larger caliber bullets for stopping power they deliver
    Get whatever you find comfortable and makes you happy
    Just MHO

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always thought DPMS meant "Didn't Pass Miltary Specs" :D
    Might you explain how many Rugers, Radical Arms, or S&W's currently pass or are in actual inventory? It's easy to demean, toss a Rock Creek 20 inch 5R Barrel on that DPMS and I'll await your review.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I dont mess with Ruger rifles especially the mini 30 or AR styles, much better choices out there and no proprietary parts

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    If you want budget there is 2 in the for sale section for 900 bucks. Not bad for 2 complete rifles. Sell one for 500 and have an AR for 400 bucks.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second PSA. No idea why it gets dissed, I've owned several over the years. Prices are some of the best I've ever seen and the fit, finish, and function are as good as any other brand AR I've owned including vintage Colts. The only drawback about PSA is they have this thing called the deal of the day that they will email you and it's killing my bank account because the prices are so good it's like a knee jerk reaction to buy it but I can't bring myself to unsubscribe from it :). Oh, another thing, they have super fast shipping, the last gun I got from them I ordered it on a Saturday and it came the next Tuesday.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Look into the new for 2022 S&W Volunteer. Mikes has therm on sale right now for fifty off. The Volunteer is an upgraded Sport II, and I think well worth the hundred dollar premium.

Shadowtech

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second PSA. No idea why it gets dissed, I've owned several over the years. Prices are some of the best I've ever seen and the fit, finish, and function are as good as any other brand AR I've owned including vintage Colts. The only drawback about PSA is they have this thing called the deal of the day that they will email you and it's killing my bank account because the prices are so good it's like a knee jerk reaction to buy it but I can't bring myself to unsubscribe from it :). Oh, another thing, they have super fast shipping, the last gun I got from them I ordered it on a Saturday and it came the next Tuesday.
    Yup can’t go wrong with PSA but like you say you’re likely to go way down that rabbit hole
    Fast shipping and great customer service

wesmanthetiger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll throw out one more, Bear Creek Arsenal. I know I know, many people have had issues with them, many have not. It is probably the most budget-friendly AR style rifle with tons of options for caliber and length of Barrel. Higher number of issues than some, but really my experience has been positive. Kinda like buying Kel-tec products; if there's no issues you'll love it, if you have issues you'll hate it and by extension them as a company. LOL. I've had success with BCM and PSA both, YMMV. Both have run like track stars for me.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Top Bottom