• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am now trying to round up supplies for loading buck. At the moment I suck on shot cups. I have ordered two different sizes. One ended up being 1 3/8 oz thinking was getting 1.5 oz cups. It is a little shot for 9 double 00 or 12 number 1 buckshot.
    So I have an order in for
    (50 mm is about 2 inches and likely need to use a roll crimp)
    1614100549797.png

I will likely have to trim these. They are intended for steel shot in 3 inch shell.
    From midway I ordered this:
    1614100783585.png

and I got the smaller 1 3/8 cup. I could trim the petals off and use the trimmed base old style as an over the powder wad and not as a cup.
    I will be loading diverse sizes of buckshot dictated by what I have on hand.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    @FrommerStop, would you be interested in another shotshell press?
    I PM'd you. I have an ancient lee loader 1 that is missing parts. I was planning to order a new from midwayusa when they are back in stock. The most important needs are resizing and doing a decent crimp, roll, 6, or 8 point star crimp.
    I am looking for low brass AA type empties. A low brass shell often has a low base wad that allows a longer shot column needed with buck shot loads.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I reloaded for waterfowl, I used Ballistics Products wads and load data. They apparently have components in stock. Load data is in the archives. Their products can be used to give 2 feet of spread of 40 yards, or 4 feet of spread at 20 yards, out of a full choke barrel.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I reloaded for waterfowl, I used Ballistics Products wads and load data. They apparently have components in stock. Load data is in the archives. Their products can be used to give 2 feet of spread of 40 yards, or 4 feet of spread at 20 yards, out of a full choke barrel.

The 50mm wads are from ballistics products. I will see what they have archived about buckshot loading. Sometimes with buckshot you want a spread, other time you want a tight pattern. I want a tight pattern with heavy shot. OOO buck is 68 grains and ~.36 caliber.
    A lot of it will depend on what sort of gun laws we end up with. Hunting type pump shotguns will likely at least I hope remain unrestricted.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doing a little searching of the ballistics products site. They are certainly charging top dollar for what they have or might have.
    1614125613406.png

1614125678809.png

I might end up one of these for trimming the shot cups.

1614125869184.png

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd pay two bucks for their load data.

Long range loads are typically buffered. They sell buffering agent as well, (I found it using the search function) and it make a big difference in pattern density.

The spreader wads (and soft shot) reduce pattern density. They work great with birdshot. I've never tried them with buckshot.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd pay two bucks for their load data.

Long range loads are typically buffered. They sell buffering agent as well, (I found it using the search function) and it make a big difference in pattern density.

The spreader wads (and soft shot) reduce pattern density. They work great with birdshot. I've never tried them with buckshot.
    There is a special wad for tight groups. I have not checked to see if it is available to the public. Under current conditions I would not even bother to look for it.
    Buckshot with FLITECONTROL Wad 12 Gauge
    1614136837392.png

From cast boolits http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?306750-
    Duplicating Federal Flight Control wads
    I want to make my own version of Federal's Flight Control wads using TPS series unslit steel wads.

Anyone done this before?
    1614137068728.png

The ideal behind it is the 3 petals on the side opens and slowly allows the wad to separate from the shot.

Think of it as a sabot for buckshot.

I wanna make some long range buck loads.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My objective back in the day was to make long range lead 2 3/4" #2s for shooting cripples on water. They were effective for that out to about 75 yds but patterned too tightly to be of much use wing shooting. I remember there were many variables to tweak and it was punishing to work up the loads.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been using Pattern Master choke tubes for many years. Started using them for coyotes and geese but stopped goose hunting and instead used them while hunting and guiding for crows.
    Was perfect out of my Rem 11/87 and Benelli M1 Super 90. (Both 12's)
    I started out using these tubes for 3" #4 buck and 3" #2 lead shot. Then used them for #6 copper plated and buffered shot. Later on my hand loaded 1.5ozs of #8 shot (AA hulls) for long range crows.
    These tubes have "fingers" inside that grab the wad,slow it down and allow the shot to seperate more uniformly. I noticed that there were no "flyers" when patterning these loads on paper. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Link is https://www.patternmaster.com/
    I will have to find out if these tubes will handle slugs and shot. Thanks for that that post.

The Science of Shot

The Science of Shot is our way of saying that we are different. Patternmaster is the world’s only non-constrictive choke tube. Patternmaster is able to achieve substantially more energy on target through the continued development of our patented wad-stripping technology. Our most integral key to success is our stud ring. The exact placement of this stud ring within the tube stops the wad for a millisecond but allows the shot to continue without impediment. By stopping the wad, even for a split second, we are able to tighten the shot string as much as 80%. This enables our hunters to achieve mind-blowing accuracy and truly superior knock down power at distances most would think impossible.

The secret is the studs inside Patternmaster®. They slow the wad for a fraction of a second and as it pauses the shot charge leaves the barrel undisturbed by the wad and gasses. By taking the wad and gasses out of the equation, Patternmaster® delivers beautiful, even, dense patterns with all loads and shot sizes.

Our patented Stud Ring™ is in all Patternmaster Classic tubes and Code Black Duck, Goose, Upland, Decoy, Timber, and Big Games tubes.
    1614172785314.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nearest dealer
    Mike's Outdoor Sports8643 Pensacola BlvdPensacolaFlorida32534(850) 478-112910.9 miles

My shotguns are mostly without any choke tube and are not new. Some years ago I purchased some second hand shotguns just in anticipation of an antigun take over with a self proclaimed pro-shotgun president
    I think I have one old warrior gun that has a tube in it. I will have to ck it out and if in good condition I could set it up for 4 number buck for some specialized tasks that will only be for number 4 buck. But for a general fighting shotgun that choke design is a no go.
    Disclaimer for all Patternmaster "Classic" tubes: Warranty will not be honored if using Slug ammunition, or ammunition with a flight control wad used for in flight separation
    I notice that the Ballistic product steel shot wad that I have on order has ridges that likely do the same thing as the pattern master choke tube.
    Even a tight pattern of #2's is interesting
    long range lead 2 3/4" #2s for shooting cripples on water. They were effective for that out to about 75 yds but patterned too tightly to be of much use wing shooting.

1614174917042.png

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not "fingers" but "stud ring" ?? Now I understand why I started using them. Reminded me . . . OF ME !!
    ANYWAY - - -> Seems that I read or heae'ed somewhere - > NO SLUGS!! But never tried them. Possibly the sabot type slugs,but they wern't around back then.
    Seems like I have had mine since about '93 or 4. They are SS and extended and I found through trial and error,that they would scare crows,so I simly used a magic marker on mine. Nowadays possibly cerakote. --- SAWMAN

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ballistic gel tests for birdshot, buckshot and slugs:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom