• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't started yet, right before we chose this book I started the Bourne series and I am almost done with the first book of that. Will start this book at the end of this week.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Read it on my Nook, no real revelations in the book for an old Country boy gun nut. The over all tone is not something I would groove to.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No doubt that between it, Survivors and One Second After my eyes have been opened and I learned just how naive I Am. It has certainly given me a lot of ideas.

Here's the opinion I have formed. Maybe a confession or whatever.

I'm 55 YO in average to maybe a little better than average shape for my age. I've lived an excellent, fun, exciting (to me) life, have shared a lot of joy and a ton of sorrow. I have awesome kids and grand kids. Do I want to live in a world like that? I don't know. If I were rich I would be doing all of the prep that these folks did, starting with buying the perfect plot of land and I would build a fortress. It would be stocked for years to support my immediate clan. I would spend my days building, stocking and preparing that place so that my family could live safely, relatively comfortable and above all totally secure.

I can't afford that, so............

I've begun a series of discussions with my gang, we're going to divide up responsibilities and everyone is going to pool discretionary cash as we can to purchase long term storage food and other essentials. I'm making arrangements with a very close friend that truly does have a setup something like described in the book. I believe we can get somewhere close to these people as far as self sufficiency goes without breaking the bank. I have some.............options I can't get in to. My goal is to get everything set up for the younger group. As far as myself goes, I frankly don't feel like I would want to live in a world like that for a long time. If I can set up where I know my brood has a fighting chance then I would sacrifice myself to ensure they got away and arrived at their destination. I am NOT brave on most issues but I'd give my life for the family to have a fighting chance.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, some pretty cool tips, tricks and ideas in the book.

Wife just came home from BAM and bought me "Agenda 21" by Glenn Beck. I'll see what it's about.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Roughly half way through the book, still getting better. Who wants to be in on a survivor camp? :smile:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the bucks were there I'd go ahead and buy the bunker........errrr.........house!

I think it would be kind of fun designing and fitting out a place like that.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the bucks were there I'd go ahead and buy the bunker........errrr.........house!

I think it would be kind of fun designing and fitting out a place like that.

Kinda fun?!

I've got a little more than an acre back yard... I think that I need to start digging in :smile:

So far my wife has been sorta understanding about the gun thing... wonder how she will react if I start fortifying things... haha

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So far my wife has been sorta understanding about the gun thing... wonder how she will react if I start fortifying things... haha

Well, you can just tell her that you have to build extra storage for all the stuff that she is compiling for when SHTF ;P

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife is all for it. Our place is kind of defensible and in an ideal community. I think all of the neighbors together could secure it, in fact it has been discussed.

Second option. I have access to a house with two big steel ag buildings on 40 acres, surrounded on two sides by dense swamp, wide open farmland on one and extremely dense woods on the last and one tiny little single lane dirt road that's almost impassable. If the SHTF the owner would certainly be wide open to a select group heading that way. We just need to pre-stage the essentials. In fact that property to me would be much more ideal than what's in the book.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't talk to my neighbors, so I don't think there would be any kind of securing anything at our house. We are taking baby steps and eventually would like to have a place out in the boonies. Ideally, would like to be a part of a group, but there is a lot that would go into that...

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not real, real close to my neighbors but when I moved out here all of them made the "point" to introduce themselves and feel me out as to my opinions on certain matters such as 2A, politics and such. Thankfully I got a hardy "Welcome to the neighborhood". Lets just say we're all on the exact same page. When we were looking to buy out here in 2009 we pulled up at our future house, looked around inside then walked all over the yard. Wife was giving a close look to the landscaping, I was going, "OK, truck or jeep or both in every yard, I see the occasional Marine, Salt Life, Navy and Army Strong rear window decals***, most have fishing boats, I see 3 yards with hunting dog boxes out back, that dude looks like he has a range behind his house, neighbor 2 houses down is restoring WWII military vehicles, guy across the street has a big outdoor sitting area with a bonfire pit from hell and a band stand in his back yard. Everyone has a flag pole and has at least a US flag, couple have MIA flags too. Uhhhh, Honey, WE'RE HOME!!!!!".

Being part of a group would be as much personality issues as anything else I think. Just like the group in the book you would be best served to have a variety of skills. We have 6 kids between wife and I and everyone has some pretty good skills, we have hunters, mechanics, medical pros, a pretty decent gunsmith, etc. We have the start of a good setup.

***And now we have two Gulf Coast Gun Forum stickers in the 'hood (Thanks Ian).

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forming a cohesive group will be the toughest part. When things get really bad, the person that you thought was your best friend will shoot you for a meal for his family.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kinda on topic/off topic. I am now officially a citizen of the 21st century. I did it! I actually bought myself a Nook! No applause, please, it was a simple thing for a humble man to accomplish. All I did was go to the counter, plead total and utter ignorance of all things mobile and the nice, blue hair old granny behind the counter patiently explained everything...........4 or 5 times while illustrating it all in real time. She held my little hand until I could walk all by myself like a big boy.

I actually think I can figger this thing out.

OK, let's get on with the book discussion so we can pick the next one. I wanna download sumptin'.:dance:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sean, welcome to the new era!

I just finished the book. What a read...!

Are Sean and I the only ones that have been reading? I am ready for some discussion whenever you guys are!

Top Bottom