• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wthom12

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What are your favorite Bonded Bullets for Hunting? And where do buy just the Bullets?

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'll second the Nosler Accubonds and add Sierra Game Kings as my go-to. Bought all mine at Styx River Shooting Center. I don't use that many of them, so still using the ones I bought a few years ago. Though, I'm not ashamed to say I've probably taken more game with Sierra Match Kings than anything else. They don't expand, but I've never shot anything more than once with one.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bullet choice would be dependent on caliber / cartridge , quarry , expected impact range etc. Assuming FL / AL hunting unless across a field / clear cut with a magnum bonded isn't needed IMHO . Gamekings are good deer bullet , tend to separete on tougher stuff usually shoot very accurately . Nos BT depending on weight / caliber is also accurate & in heavier offerings elk tough .

wthom12

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Bullet choice would be dependent on caliber / cartridge , quarry , expected impact range etc. Assuming FL / AL hunting unless across a field / clear cut with a magnum bonded isn't needed IMHO . Gamekings are good deer bullet , tend to separete on tougher stuff usually shoot very accurately . Nos BT depending on weight / caliber is also accurate & in heavier offerings elk tough .
    Caliber would be 270 130 gr and 30-06 150 gr, yes hunting whitetails in Fl/Al/GA. I have shot the old Winchester Silvertips for years. The ones with the aluminum looking tip. Winchester does not make them anymore, so I have to find a new bullet. I like a bullet that if needed leaves a good blood trail is why I'm looking at Bonded bullets. May be looking in the wrong direction I know I do not Hornady SST type bullets, good deviation and accuracy but not good exiting body.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Swift A-frames. It’s all about leaving the energy in the animal. Bigger bullets are better. IMHO

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hornady bullets are on the soft side & for non-mag prefer the Interlok to their others . For your use the cheapest I'd go is the Speer Hotcore as long as you stay below 3000 MV any old cup & core bullet will work fine , faster you want a tougher slug .The Nosler BT 150 - 165 for '06 any speed , 130gr 270 BT should also work . If I were spending bonded money the good old Partition will dang sure work on anything from prairie goats to elk .

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Game Kings aren't bonded bullets. The Winchester Silver Tip is a Combined Technologies bullet made by Nosler. It is basically a Ballistic Tip with the C/T Lubalox coating on it. Nosler still makes them I think. If you don't care for the rapid expansion of the Hornady SST Interlock try the regular interlock bullet. Nosler bullets seem hard to me and the Accubonds copper foul my barrels faster than others.

wthom12

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Game Kings aren't bonded bullets. The Winchester Silver Tip is a Combined Technologies bullet made by Nosler. It is basically a Ballistic Tip with the C/T Lubalox coating on it. Nosler still makes them I think. If you don't care for the rapid expansion of the Hornady SST Interlock try the regular interlock bullet. Nosler bullets seem hard to me and the Accubonds copper foul my barrels faster than others.
    Yes Nosler has the CT Silvertip Ballistic. The one I'm shooting was made before the Ballistic Tip. Copper body with looks like an aluminum tip.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yes Nosler has the CT Silvertip Ballistic. The one I'm shooting was made before the Ballistic Tip. Copper body with looks like an aluminum tip.
    Ahh the 20+ year old version… I think I still have a few of those in .45-70

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Hornady has a similar bullet for targets...probably would kill any coastal deer out there...they aren't as tough as an elk

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The Sierra Gameking is an accurate bullet boatail design . IMHO unless plains hunting with 300yd avg shots in a stiff breeze I much prefer the flatbase Pro Hunter as I've had more than one Gameking spit a core . They killed OK , no exit wound ( GK ) , PH is a tougher bullet .
    The Accubonds & mono metals are very touchy about " jump " , most are finding at least 40 to 60 thousandths . Besides not all guns like 'em . They don't like worn throats / rough bores . Not to mention theys pricey .
    Good old Core-lokt & Power Points have killed a bunch of game & as long as kept sub-mag speed work fine . Inside of 3-400yds a good flatbase cup & core is the most cost effective route .
    The Ballistic Tip originally was like the SST , a " pop-corn " bullet . Explosive expansion were they'd almost turn inside out . no exit , lacked penetration to take raking shots etc . They have really increased jacket thickness to the point were a .308 180gr BT is a viable elk bullet . I think you'd find them similar to the Silvertip .

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    it seems most of them are HP style bullets with a polymer tip to make them expand faster. If it has good weight retention...like the monos...it doesn't affect them as rapidly. I use the 127LRX in my .260 and have been real satisfied with it. I swapped from Game Kings in my .270 to the TSX and TTSX, then Accubonds, I have 3 or 4 left before I go back to Game Kings.

I believe when they changed the BTs they added Varmint and Hunting to the label...not 100% on that

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just make the jump to Barnes. No bonding needed. It's 100% copper alloy in the TSX, add a plastic tip in the TTSX. Great penetration, perfect mushroom to twice caliber. They are one of my favorite hunting bullets. ABs are good, but they tend to separate in my experience. SGK flies great, but it's not bonded. With Barnes if you do your part you'll harvest more deer.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wow. Zombie thread.
    IMHO you don’t need a bonded bullet until you get to elk-size and larger. But opinions are like … you know. Everyone has one.

At any rate, for an inexpensive cup and core, Hornady interlock. A poor man’s partition, they call them. Nosler Accubonds for anything 6.5 caliber and larger. Of course a Nosler Partiton if you can source them. Speer Hot Core are time tested.
    Don‘t over think this. Bullets are important, yes, but won’t make up for poor shot placement. Put any good bullet where it counts and you’ll be successful. YMMV.

Top Bottom