• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry for your troubles, I'm glad I talked myself out of not using the same upper and lower. I had a Aero ME5 lower and parts kit but was starting to get cheap looking at BCA uppers. Then I started reading on the problems because the AR-10's aren't mill spec. The good forum members here talked me out of it and I bought the Aero ME5 upper. It works flawless. Good luck, there is lots of knowledgeable folks on here.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well... the Bolt Catch really isn't a complex part or function.

The magazine follower pushes up on the catch and into the path of the BCG thus the catch stops the BCG.

If you remove the upper from the lower and insert an empty magazine into the lower, watch how it (the magazine follower) contacts the catch and pushes it up... or does it? How far does it push the catch up?

If it's not pushing it up it could be a magazine follower issue or a magazine seating depth issue. Maybe the cut for the catch itself isn't proper and you're not getting max rise.

Either way it's a simple part with a simple function. Sounds to me like it's a tolerance stacking issue or something is just simply not to proper spec.

Now you see first hand why mixing stuff and using 80% stuff is iffy.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They aren't the same but they will hold the bolt back to test with. I wouldn't leave it that way. The Badger Ordnance Enhanced says it will work on all of them including the SR25.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took two of my 308s over there and my Aero upper works on his lower but the Delton won't take the rear pin. His upper also works on my Aero lower. If you put a little downward pressure on his upper the bolt will lock back on an empty mag.

Things I learned.
    1. AR10s are more picky than hot chicks
    2. Aero precision is awesome
    3. Delton lowers work with PSA uppers
    4. Don't buy Delton AR10s if you want to swap uppers

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If they are the same then why is my ar-10 catchs when you put them side by side with a st. 15 is bigger
    so I would say it is not the same , I have run in to this on a couple of AR-10. JUst my 10 cents jj
    If you want to come to jay I may have one laying around

Yep... they are different in size.

Below are some bolt catches I have in the parts box. The four on top are all AR10/LR-308 size and the two on the bottom are standard AR15.

I know the far left one is a take-off factory Aero M5, the second from the left I believe is an Aero replacement which differs from the original ones once supplied, and the two on the right were from Brownell's advertised as DPMS LR-308 bolt catches. I say I believe because I know for 100% fact the ONLY place I have ever sourced a bolt catch for my Aero builds was either directly from Aero or Brownell's.

Years ago when the Aero M5 hit the scene, they were known for bad bolt catches that would break in short order, I had two break on me which prompted me to get the LR-308 replacements. I've not had the DPMS break.

I have five Aero M5 builds and I just checked four of them, three of the four have the DPMS catch and I still have one that has the original Aero part, surprised it hasn't broke. Not sure what's on the fifth build too lazy to dig it out of the safe.

The original Aero catch did not have the extended bottom tip. Also, note the paddle thickness in the original catch... much thicker.

Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Special thanks to Hinote for taking the time to come over and helping narrow down the problem and thanks to everyone for the ideas, comments, and opinions. and I have ordered an Enhanced Bolt Catch from Badger and will try that first. Bear Creek Arsenal has sent an RMA label and want to see if there is a problem with their upper. All said and done, in the end I may order a Aero Precision upper. To be continued....

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bet it works because when we squeezed your upper and lower together a little by hand it locked back. If it doesn't I'll give you your money back and put it in that Camo rifle.

Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    New enhanced bolt catch seems to have cured the problem! Thanks again Hinote. I'm not that good of a photographer, but here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpg
      IMG_5450.jpg
      537 KB · Views: 56
    • IMG_5452.jpg
      IMG_5452.jpg
      312.8 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_5454.jpg
      IMG_5454.jpg
      191.4 KB · Views: 50

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I have a Diamondback DB10 308. I've started gathering the parts to build a 2nd upper in 6.5cm. I have my barrel, I just ordered my stripped upper from Diamondback, and as funds permit I'll be buying as much as I can from Diamondback in an effort to keep everything compatible.
    I may even continue on to a large frame pistol build. I finished building my 1st AR, 10" 9mm & just about finished with my 2nd, 10" 7.62x39. Can't believe at 58, I'm just starting down the AR rabbit hole.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I have a Diamondback DB10 308. I've started gathering the parts to build a 2nd upper in 6.5cm. I have my barrel, I just ordered my stripped upper from Diamondback, and as funds permit I'll be buying as much as I can from Diamondback in an effort to keep everything compatible.
    I may even continue on to a large frame pistol build. I finished building my 1st AR, 10" 9mm & just about finished with my 2nd, 10" 7.62x39. Can't believe at 58, I'm just starting down the AR rabbit hole.
    It's addictive soon you'll have 450 bushmaster etc...

Top Bottom