• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Y'all remember when the Military decided that a "Blind box" was a Serviceman's BEST FRIEND?

So how many folks have witnessed, or performed the fabled drop of all rounds under extreme stress?

To clarify for Folks never in Combat, or those that have never Braced A Charge From Dangerous Game. A "Blind Box" or welded base plate was the Answer to dropping all your rounds on the ground if your trigger finger inadvertently managed to activate the "Hinged Floor plate" which dropped all the rounds in your Bolt Action on the ground when you needed them most.

So how many folks have currently replaced Bolt Action boxes with Totally Detachable Magazines? Yet if you ain't running & gunning with a true detachable mag, which Box System do you have and why?

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which military bolt actions had a button to drop the magazine floor plate???.. There is a couple of ones I can think of that has a button that ejects the clips. I.E Carcanos.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I take it your asking which Military Bolt Actions had hinged floor plates on thier bottom metal?

Diagram of the .30 Springfield Rifle

Just prior to the M40-M24 official designations, commercial hinged floor plate Win Model 70's & Rem 700's with Bull Barrels where fielded. Eventually both the M40 & M24 got modified to incorporate detachable mags.

But as a general rule the Military discouraged hinged floor plates. The thinking being that a Trooper could drop all the rounds out of thier hinged floor plate without thier own knowledge. I believe the USMC ordered thier Original XM3's with welded floor plates, although later modifications fell in line with the M40 & M24.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I take it your asking which Military Bolt Actions had hinged floor plates on thier bottom metal?
    Was interested in which military bolt action guns have bottom plates that have buttons that can easily get pushed by the shooter's trigger finger and spill out its ammo in the heat of battle. I just can not come up with one.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am only asking what you said in your 1st statement.

" A "Blind Box" or welded base plate was the Answer to dropping all your rounds on the ground if your trigger finger inadvertently managed to activate the "Hinged Floor plate" which dropped all the rounds in your Bolt Action on the ground when you needed them most."

I do not know of any floor plates that can be activated with a trigger finger by accident like that and was wondering which military rifles you were referring to.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am only asking what you said in your 1st statement.

" A "Blind Box" or welded base plate was the Answer to dropping all your rounds on the ground if your trigger finger inadvertently managed to activate the "Hinged Floor plate" which dropped all the rounds in your Bolt Action on the ground when you needed them most."

I do not know of any floor plates that can be activated with a trigger finger by accident like that and was wondering which military rifles you were referring to.
    While the Win Model 70 never actually became a Designated Military Rifle, (not the M40) it was taken afield by one of the most decorated/heralded of USMC Snipers. Also fielded where Civilian Rem 700's prior to the acceptance as M40 & M24 respectively. Both had Trigger Guard Mounted Floor Plate Releases. Once Uncle Sam actually incorporated the Rem 700 into active service, common troopers couldn't be trusted to not drop all thier rounds under stress, so welded or blind box only variants where all that became Standard Issue. This practice even continued through the XM3 of USMC Issue.

How many Bolt Action Hunters limit thier Dangerous Game Bolt Actions to a "Blind Box" configuration? The ultimate Dangerous Game Bolt Action Rifle would be limited to a "Blind Box" with Controlled Round Feed. Just how many folks today still limit themselves in such a manner? How many even have such a Dangerous Game Bolt Action Rifle? I believe more folks have converted thier bolt action Dangerous Game Rifles to Detachable Mags, then have "Blind Box" Controlled Round Feed Bolt Action Dangerous Game Rifles.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In 50 plus years have never seen that happen but have seen a number of box mag get released, M-14,,AK,s FN,, AR,s are not get locked in right.
    I have only witnessed this occurrence twice, both times afield hunting Dangerous Game with civilians and civilian rifles. In both instances the shooters were accomplished pistol shooters , and the temperature was extreme cold. It seems that accomplished pistol shooters place thier trigger fingers on the forward trigger guard once the safety has been disengaged. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed pistol shooters disengaging or unknowingly dropping thier mag from pistols with extend ambidextrous mag releases. Perhaps that is why Uncle Sam takes the option of hinged floor plates out of play?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my head hurts now..
    Guess you had a hard time watching Stan & Ollie at Shakey's! LOL

To bring this into context: Folks that handled hinged floor plate Military Bolt Actions probably have an opinion on a juice box of Parmalat vs Whole Milk, and most likely have eaten at a Big Boy Restaurant. LOL.

PS: Big Boy precedes the Big Mac & KFC. (perhaps not Col Sanders Chicken) So it's quite a while back........LOL.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My Ruger M77's have hinged floor plates, to date I have not inadvertently dumped the ammo while hunting.

My Browning X bolt has a box magazine and my CZ's and Howa have single stack mags.

One of my buddies bought a Browning BLR 308 and it dropped the box mag on him last season when he shot a buck. Good thing only one shot was needed.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Ruger M77's have hinged floor plates, to date I have not inadvertently dumped the ammo while hunting.

My Browning X bolt has a box magazine and my CZ's and Howa have single stack mags.

One of my buddies bought a Browning BLR 308 and it dropped the box mag on him last season when he shot a buck. Good thing only one shot was needed.
    My Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun also has a hinged floor plate, but I have yet to hear of a conversion like the Badger Ord bottom metal for Rem 700's that readily adapts it to detachable mags. Hinged floor plates or detachable mags are much faster & easier to make safe and insert visual bolt open indicators at the one way range. But for belt & suspenders Dangerous Game Hunters, I believe there shall always be a use for "Blind Box" & Controlled Round Feed. JMHO.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    470 Nitro Express
    (But somebody else gets to carry it)
    ;-D

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only the ones with enormous amounts of money. A dangerous game double in any caliber is a costly investment.
    OH YES IT IS! Even without paying all those Native folks to "Call Me Bwana".

Yet even the diminutive 9.3 x 62mm carries a large price tag.
    https://www.nosler.com/9-3mm-286gr-partition-50ct.html

But it has a stellar reputation is one of the only less than .375 to earn an exemption on the African Continent.

Relevance: 9.3 Mauser, Blind Box & Controlled Round Feed.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OH YES IT IS! Even without paying all those Native folks to "Call Me Bwana".

Yet even the diminutive 9.3 x 62mm carries a large price tag.
    https://www.nosler.com/9-3mm-286gr-partition-50ct.html

But it has a stellar reputation is one of the only less than .375 to earn an exemption on the African Continent.

Relevance: 9.3 Mauser, Blind Box & Controlled Round Feed.

I would probably break my wrist getting my wallet out if I saw a CZ rifle in 9.3 x62 on the shelf.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would probably break my wrist getting my wallet out if I saw a CZ rifle in 9.3 x62 on the shelf.
    I'm not sure if the current Mauser's have a Blind Box or hinged floor plate. The last 9.3 x 62 I had was a Ruger African with a 25 inch barrel, hinged floor plate, and Controlled Round Feed. The Ruger would probably be the lowest price point in America Nowadays? But doesn't the 9.3 x 62 just scream Mauser?

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But doesn't the 9.3 x 62 just scream Mauser?

Yes, it does. But, if I had the enviable problem of picking a rifle for African dangerous game, I'd more likely look at the .416 Rigby. In the right hands, a 9.3 might be "adequate" for the bad boys of the Dark Continent, but I'd prefer to push a bit more lead at them. Heck, I'd take my .45-70 lever with hot, big grain loads for dangerous before I went 9.3. Some have taken elephant with the .45-70, but that still might be beyond my comfort zone. Maybe the .510 Aria Jeffrey (ha). Given the cost of dangerous game permits, it's entirely academic for me anyway.

The 9.3 doesn't really do a lot more than the .35 Whelen, which is to say it'll pretty much take anything in NA that walks. Neither are super popular calibers in the US. The Whelen seemingly does have more of a following here, but the 9.3 just never gained much of a foothold. There's lots of cartridge comparisons out there that share that issue, and debate will rage on both sides from the faithful who feel their pick clearly is superior to the alternative.

The main thing is these all avoid the word "magnum" in the name, yet they still go about the business of taking out most anything needed.

Top Bottom