• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the last 4 decades I've EDC'ed a SOG PE. But I'm pondering a shorter lighter weight EDC. Benchmade's AXIS is as close to the the same lock as my SOG, but I'm not sure about the short drop point? Steel ? (Japanese AUS8 vice S30V) I am liking the 1.5 OZ total weight.
    Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never met a Benchmade that I didn't like
    Wish I could say the same. I'm particularly interested in the S30V's salt water survival/resistance. I realize that I'm giving away allot of self defense potential, (SOG PE/ BM533) so I'm wondering how well the S30V matches up to the salt water resistance of the Japanese AUS8? When it comes to an EDC blade, it's in my pants/shorts pocket even before I thread a belt through the loops.
    Reviews of particular concern:

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Zero tolerance carbon fiber 0770CF

I even carry it when I swim in the ocean. Mine is at least 4 years old and still works great.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps we can all agree that one piece full tang knives are structurally stronger than folding blades?

Yet everyone has thier own opinion on what makes for an excellent folding knife. Some folks put extra emphasis on rapid deployment, or silent deployment, and others (like Me) place the most weight on the locking system.

Last thing I want is to have a locking system failure, which allows the blade to collapse on my short gnarly Old Man fingers. That's why I still carry One Piece Old Fashioned Stainless Steel Scalpels instead of the smaller more convenient folding blades favored Today.

Now there are plenty of full tang sub 3 inch knives out there, but a clipped folder just rides better in the cargo pocket of a pair of shorts IMO. When it comes to an almost bulletproof Locking system I'll take the SOG system #1 and the Axis system #2. (Axis is slightly more prone to lock up trouble during moon dust conditions.)

Now AUS8 isn't the most salt water friendly stainless steel, but it's better than an MK2 (carbon steel) and holds an edge thousands of times longer than an MK3. Yet if rinsed with fresh water, properly dried, and rubbed with rhubarb (some use Bar Keepers Friend) after every salt water emersion I have found that AUS8 can last for decades. I've no experience with CPM S30V, so the floors all Y'all s.

Cjprall90

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Been carrying the full size bugout for over a year now , it’s a great edc , s30v isn’t a perfect steel but it out performs aus8 in any category . Other than LC200N , any knife will rust if not properly taken care , you would be happy with the bugout just every now and again wipe it down and lube it up and you’ll be fine, axis lock is tough enough for normal knife use , if you were bushcrafting I’d recommend fixed blade for sure

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been carrying the full size bugout for over a year now , it’s a great edc , s30v isn’t a perfect steel but it out performs aus8 in any category . Other than LC200N , any knife will rust if not properly taken care , you would be happy with the bugout just every now and again wipe it down and lube it up and you’ll be fine, axis lock is tough enough for normal knife use , if you were bushcrafting I’d recommend fixed blade for sure
    Since you own & have experience, have you noticed any galling or stickiness with the titanium lock levers? (as noted in the U-Tube review)

What sharpening system (IE Smith etc) and at what angle do you sharpen your bug out? (AUS8 takes a quick edge when sharpening, so I can use the 22 degree SOG Countertop Sharpener 729857992466 for the SOG PE)

Last edited:

Cjprall90

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a kme sharpener and sharpen at 17 degrees , as for lock bar being sticky , yeah it was at first but nothing that a lot of BM knives don’t have out of the factory , griptilians are the worst until they break in IMO, nothing wrong with aus8 have a few knives with that steel. S30v is a breeze to sharpen compared s110v or M4 , m390 etc. they make the bugout in 20cv steel which could arguably be considered one of the greatest all around steels . Your going to pay more but you’ll get a noticeably better in all aspects Steel .

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a kme sharpener and sharpen at 17 degrees , as for lock bar being sticky , yeah it was at first but nothing that a lot of BM knives don’t have out of the factory , griptilians are the worst until they break in IMO, nothing wrong with aus8 have a few knives with that steel. S30v is a breeze to sharpen compared s110v or M4 , m390 etc. they make the bugout in 20cv steel which could arguably be considered one of the greatest all around steels . Your going to pay more but you’ll get a noticeably better in all aspects Steel .
    Not sure about paying more?

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SO...uble-edge-dagger-blade-black-aluminum-handles

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This 440 stainless knife has seen 300ft dives, quartz sand abrasion and heavy use. No rust
    No rust with nearly daily emersion in salt water since the 1970's, no rust and I'm still working on getting a razor edge on it! LOL.

Not sure about the Kershaw Lock: https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/leek.html

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I've pulled the trigger on the standard Mini-bug-out. Should arrive Saturday. We shall go from once it came.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've carried a Real Steel G5 for a couple of years. I got it for the "bird and trout" style blade, but I've gone to a scalpel style knife for most all cleaning chores. Still, I find it a useful and compact carry knife. I've seen them for under $50 and that's a heck of a deal IMO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Started using it within minutes. My goodness is this thing light! Quick quality check: Blade is centered, no side play when locked, lock action is stiff as a board. Need to open/close with offhand currently, action is stiff & knife is so tiny. I've got a small cadet hand size, so I can get a full four finger grip when cutting. But even my small hands totally engulf this small handle. (ie. Not for those with medium to large paws) Blade edge is a little toothy, yet it sliced through the cardboard of the new ryobi chainsaws box like butter. Orange handle makes it a breeze to find, but I'd recommend that most folks skip the Mini and go right to the regular size Bug Out with CF Elite scales. A little more cutting edge & handle to grip would make for a better knife. JMHO. It's going to take a few years to figure out if the Mini-Bug-Out was worth it's lack of weight in a Benjamin+Grant, it may take a few years for the carry clip to ease up enough to make drawing such a small, light, knife from the cargo pocket transition smoothly. I'm not that good at evaluations/reviews so if there are any other questions feel free to ask. Thanks Y'all.

Alchemist

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was ordering some stuff from Work Sharp and saw they had a Limited Edition full size Benchmade Bugout offered so I bought one.
    Great EDC knife. I've carried the 530 (lost two to TSA) and the 531 for about 15 years now. Excellent equipment.

The knife color is called "Amber Yellow" and features a black Cerakote CPM20SV steel blade which ought to be tough and hold an edge. I really like mine...

Work_Sharp_Bugout.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom