• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Does anyone have any idea how to get wood to look like the wood on the Ruger Gunsite Scout?
    I've seen it on other guns, but I have no idea how to do it. When I get guns with brown wood, I either change the stock or paint it (terrible, I know) I really love that black & gray finish though.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    udajyde3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I see. Makes sense. Is there a gray stain that will make the light areas look gray and darken the grain to look black?
    Won't quite be the same, but maybe have a similar effect.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They make stain in about every color and the results depend on the wood. If the wood has a lot of figure, then maybe. If it's plain wood like the birch everyone is using now except on high end guns it will just make the whole thing gray. You have to strip it to bare wood for the stain to have any effect.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    They make stain in about every color and the results depend on the wood. If the wood has a lot of figure, then maybe. If it's plain wood like the birch everyone is using now except on high end guns it will just make the whole thing gray. You have to strip it to bare wood for the stain to have any effect.

I might try that. I guess if it doesn't work out I can always paint it black.

Thanks!

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I saw a mosin that someone did ^ that effect on, although with much greater success. He took barbed wire and wrapped the stock pretty heavily in it. Ran a torch across the wood enough to "burn" the wood without actually burning it (uhhh...does that make sense?). With more wire and more blackened areas, it looked really really awesome.

I'll look for the picture

Gentle Wolf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used thinned down oil based paint to achieve a similar effect. I added mineral spirits to black paint, applied and left it on for a period of time. After drying for a few minutes, I wiped it down like you would regular stain. It took a little experimenting on the timing but the results were great.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    nope, not gonna find the picture I'm looking for.

But if you do it, make sure the wire comes and goes, not perfectly up and down around the stock

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does anyone have any idea how to get wood to look like the wood on the Ruger Gunsite Scout?
    I've seen it on other guns, but I have no idea how to do it. When I get guns with brown wood, I either change the stock or paint it (terrible, I know) I really love that black & gray finish though.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    udajyde3.jpg

As been said, those are lami, but you can get close. First, you need a stock that has been cut with the grain. Strip it down to bare wood. Stain the whole thing with a dark stain. Sand it, the stain will stay on the grain. Then stain it with a lighter stain.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I need to buy one more j- frame to complete my collection, then it'll be onto replacing my 870 with another skeet gun. Being able to change the color makes an off the shelf gun a much more attractive and affordable proposition.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I cleaned an 870 I have with brake cleaner as it hadn't been cleaned in...18 years or so, and made it look brand new, took the stock right back to fresh cut wood lol. if u spray it with rubber bed liner, I'd rough it up a lot and deff clean it with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits. I rubberized the bumpers/grill/aluminum trim of an old truck I had and I love that stuff. Don't go to far on the can or it'll spray little white hairs out when close to empty

Last edited:
    Top Bottom