• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So, I'm going to try my hand in long-range shooting with the 224V that I'm building (bench shooting, prone shooting, not really hunting). I've never used or owned a bi-pod, but I think that I will need one for the Valkyrie. I wanted to know if there was a science to determine the height of the needed bi-pod. The only common sense thing that I could think of would be a need to make sure that the height clears the mags I will be using. Is there anything else that I need to figure out before I buy a bi-pod? Like does my body height / build need to be taken into consideration? Let me know if I'm over thinking it or if there is a calculation that I need to adhere to....any help would be good.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Shooting position- seated at a bench, prone, seated on ground, ect. Available baracades to brace on? Height of chair and bench you use? All of these can determine height of bipod needed to make you comfortable for the shot. If its too low you will be crunched down and if too high you will be stretching too much

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Ok, so assuming I start off with a prone position. I have blocks of wood that I can stack on top of each other so I can determine my comfort level with that height. Do I then go measure from the bottom of my handguard to the ground? Or do I measure something else? Basically, I see bipod height ranges from 3"-9", 6-13", etc. I want to figure out that height range so I would then measure from a seated bench rest, and hopefully get a height range for multiple positions.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I wouldn't let the magazine make my choice..I bought some 5 & 10 rd just for that. I have several 6-9" that work for bench and prone. They may possibly work for barricades too as a flat surface or to drop the legs and load it. The notched leg Harris I have is pretty good and I like it more than the Harris with the thumb screws I have...they each have their place. Both of them attach to a sling swivel. I also like the Atlas I have. I have converted it from ARCA to picatinny mount and picked up an Accu-Tac for ARCA rails.

I have various types of rear bags in different sizes.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I can't add much to the convo. I'll be learning along the way also. One big factor I realized tho is the further out you can push the bipod makes a big difference in how much small movements you make as you aim affect your accuracy. Ideally you'll want the bipod as close to the end of the rifle as possible. With this in mind I had an idea and flipped a scout light mount upside down lol. It's odd looking but it works! It let me push mine out a good bit further than my handguard allows. I threw a cheap bipod on this real fast to show what I mean.
    I noticed too they now make a new style of bipod that mounts to the top of barrels. Then it dangles you barrel instead of your balancing a barrel over the bipod legs. This I think helps to self plumb your setup so to speak. All the models I looked at when I saw them was very expensive tho. Hopefully some budget style ones come to market soon

Attachments

• 20230323_191428.jpg
      20230323_191428.jpg
      150.3 KB · Views: 35

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Good to know DAS....that setup does look funky. I've been pricing around bi-pods and they get expensive after a while. I'm methodical when it comes to purchasing gun stuff, I have to know that I am making the right decision. That's why I'm trying to figure out the best way to determine what size I should get.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Good to know DAS....that setup does look funky. I've been pricing around bi-pods and they get expensive after a while. I'm methodical when it comes to purchasing gun stuff, I have to know that I am making the right decision. That's why I'm trying to figure out the best way to determine what size I should get.
    I think most of the "average" sized one will do most anything the average shooter needs done for the most part. Never gave much thought to the actual size of them as when theyre extended they can get pretty tall, even the smaller ones. The only time I myself would need one with longer legs is if I plan to shoot on some sort of terrain where the angle is so extreme I may have to have one leg extended much further than the other. Other than that if you're shooting on the flat range under controlled conditions you and simply add a couple boards or whatever the case may be you happen to have nearby to boost you up however much you need higher.
    Although I guess if you're planning to shoot very long range, a set with longer legs while prone could give you more angle to work with? I guess that's a good reason to have some with longer legs. I think some higher end bipods have legs you can add to make a shorter model into a longer set if needed? May be a feature I'm not sure. I know they sell the feet of all sorts for them, maybe legs also? May be worth checking if your investing in a well built higher end model. Maybe some of the fellas here know about that?
    Other than that I'm gonna sit and listen and learn also lol. Good luck!

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    If you are running an mlok rail. Check out the utg pro flex bipods. They are $50-75. They are side mounted and give a little wider stance than a bottom mounted. Each leg is independent and can be set at odd positions if needed. They also fold flat along the side so the bottom of the rail is clear for resting on things

They are what I use

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I use several types for hunting. A short Harris bipod for shooting houses, a tall one for other areas. I have a set of Birchwood Casey blocks that fit inside each other for shooting house or bench rest. Bog pod for other uses. Even a flap type sand bag. Lots of choices use what works. When hunting it's good cause the weapon is ready for you to get behind and make a good kill shot,
    20230123_145401_001.jpg
    20230127_164108.jpg
    20220205_122843.jpg
    20230206_174334.jpg
    20220131_120151.jpg
    no futzing around.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    *** a lead sled might be a better option if your wanting to ring out every bit of accuracy from your build. I have an 18 inch 224v very accurate. Except when it's raining.....but that is another topic.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do like Harris as I said....they are sling swivel mounts.
    That works great on a wide forend and the support is good. It isn't so good IMO on the smaller narrow forends.
    The Atlas is about 1/4" shorter than the Harris and there are 5 leg positions where the Harris has 2. The Atlas can also be fitted with a QC picatinny adaptor. The picatinny rail will offer a more stable interface with a MSR in my view....far better than a picatinny with a sling stud on it.

Wal-Mart used to have an imported one that was maybe 4-7"...sure wish I could find one of those for my .22

Top Bottom