• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So got a wild hair after seeing beowulf upper for sale of course and knowing a couple of you guys proclivities ( sawman and 450bm)

Out of the big three; 450 by, 458 socom, and 50 beowulf what would be the easiest to get powders for ( lil gun is basically a no go which limits one of them off the bat ). I already reload 45 colt, 45/70, 450 marlin, and 500 s&w so projectiles already semi good to go. Just a matter of making the dive.
    Wanted yalls perspective.

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, powders aren't the only concern, though obviously a very important factor. The .450 probably has the most available projectiles out of all of them. With all of these cartridges you will need to do heavy research into load development, as from what I understand it's more difficult to catch pressure signs. As far as powder goes, powder comes around. You just have to wait for the right time and get it quickly when it pops up. There is a reloading discord that gives you push notifications when the type of powder you want becomes available. Having more options for projectiles and a wider range of velocities available to load for is more valuable and would inform my own choices over powder availability. That said, I've also read that .458 can be pushed to higher pressures than .450.

This is the link to reloading Discord. If links aren't allowed I will delete it.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Other powders work with the Beowulf, AA1680 is listed and pops up all the time.

Projectiles are the current limiting factor as I see it, glad I stocked up on powder, bullets, and brass for my Beowulf.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .45 Raptor. I want to build the .375 but .45 hits your tickle spots.

Nice that the .45 uses a standard die. The custom dies for the .375 will make your eyes bleed.

But, these dudes need the 10 platform, not the 15, and your question was really about powders in the "big three" as you defined them. So...scratch this.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Other powders work with the Beowulf, AA1680 is listed and pops up all the time.

Projectiles are the current limiting factor as I see it, glad I stocked up on powder, bullets, and brass for my Beowulf.
    Get the 50. It's just more satisfying to say "hey, I've got a 50"

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    .45 Raptor. I want to build the .375 but .45 hits your tickle spots.

Nice that the .45 uses a standard die. The custom dies for the .375 will make your eyes bleed.

But, these dudes need the 10 platform, not the 15, and your question was really about powders in the "big three" as you defined them. So...scratch this.
    I've looked at the 450 raptor and ya.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Well, powders aren't the only concern, though obviously a very important factor. The .450 probably has the most available projectiles out of all of them. With all of these cartridges you will need to do heavy research into load development, as from what I understand it's more difficult to catch pressure signs. As far as powder goes, powder comes around. You just have to wait for the right time and get it quickly when it pops up. There is a reloading discord that gives you push notifications when the type of powder you want becomes available. Having more options for projectiles and a wider range of velocities available to load for is more valuable and would inform my own choices over powder availability. That said, I've also read that .458 can be pushed to higher pressures than .450.

This is the link to reloading Discord. If links aren't allowed I will delete it.
    I'm on there already. Good God knows it's cost me some money too

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nice quality 450b for sale on here
    I refuse to buy bca
    Between the lovely incident they had with being raided by ICE ( apparently e verify wasn't used go figure for a gun manufacturer ), to the amount of shitshow quality control they continuously put out. Don't get me wrong I like tinkering but for a heavy use rifle having to basically rebuild it to get it to run right is not my way.

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm on there already. Good God knows it's cost me some money too
    Oh it's terrible in that regard. Primers are the worst, I keep pulling the trigger on a couple bricks, but common sense is saying wait until the quantity limits are off, the shipping and haz is killing me.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I refuse to buy bca
    Between the lovely incident they had with being raided by ICE ( apparently e verify wasn't used go figure for a gun manufacturer ), to the amount of shitshow quality control they continuously put out. Don't get me wrong I like tinkering but for a heavy use rifle having to basically rebuild it to get it to run right is not my way.
    Had 2 in 450b. Pistol and rifle - 0 problems. I'm lucky that way. Both were accurate to 100.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Had 2 in 450b. Pistol and rifle - 0 problems. I'm lucky that way. Both were accurate to 100.
    Ya some have been lucky but a disproportionate amount of issues come from bca and then even higher ration when it comes to the big bores especially when they were running off reverse engineered reamers ( 458 and 50 beo)

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So just realized the timelines on this and ya now gonna build a 450bm, won't be pushing to the high test like Bill would have but ya. Wish me luck

Top Bottom