• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My brass usually starts out a lot cleaner than that 43 Spanish brass and the walnut makes it clean and shiny. Do you use a different tumbler? All I have is a generic Midway vibrator.
    Yes a different tumbler is needed. I use a lapidary tumbler for rocks. The Gun world now has it’s own version. Brownells or MidWay USA sell wet brass tumblers. For me wet tumbling is allot cleaner. No dust from the media used in dry tumbling. Better results in less time.

sakorey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oh man, I'm late to the party. So I started off with just vibratory tumbling and I went through a lot of Nu-Shine and corn cob media as I was cleaning dirty range brass. It also wouldn't clean the primer pockets or inside the casing. Wet tumbling solved all that. Not only was it as shiny as brand new brass should look, it even looked better than new factory ammo cases prior to being shot.

Now the downsides. Using the stainless steel pins, I found that they would sometimes get stuck inside the primer pocket and I wouldn't find out until the priming process. No pops but still an annoyance when discovered. After changing to a steel flake media, no more problems with that. Another issue is that it polishes the brass down to the bare metal and so it looks great but it is very prone to oxidation. If you leave your super-shiny brass out for a few days, they start to look real dull. My solution to that was to take the clean cases and run them through corn cob media with polish to put that thin wax film on it. Problem solved. That and I never had to change out my corn cob media because it never got dirty.

Absolute must buys if you get into wet tumbling.

1. Magnet w/ quick release. You'll thank me later.
    2. Long hose. It'll save you a lot of trips to and from the nearest spigot and lets you spray down the brass to get the Armor-all/Dawn off. The brass develops nasty spots if you don't.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom