• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So I want to suppress my Copperhead MPX. Without having to purchase an aftermarket barrel.
    Scuttlebutt is they are hard to suppress. The Rugged Suppressors rep i spoke with said i just needed the correct piston, but he didn't have one in stock. And im not sure if he really knew much about the sig. But others say because of the tapered barrel behind the threads, an adapter is need so the can will be concentric to the barrel. My friend told me he uses the tri lug adapter. Which id rather not use because it adversely effects accuracy. He agreed, but said if I sighted it in with the trilug, if I used the same orientation (lug) accuracy wouldn't be as effected. So, I could mark the can to help me keep the orientation. But what if I use it on multiple platforms? Then things get confusing to remember which mark matches which gun...

So does anyone have experience with Sig?
    Will direct thread work?
    The copperhead is (so far) the only firearm I own with the European reverse threads.
    I'd rather not spend the dime on the piston, and it not work. Then have to spend the dime on parts to make my can work with the tri-lug. Sigh...

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I know nothing of the mpx but could you source an extra barrel and thread it to the std 1/2 x 28?

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    A company makes aftermarket barrels with 1/2x28 and or tri-lug but they are expensive. I'm looking to avoid replacing the barrel. 2nd sentence in my o.p.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    What kind of accuracy loss are you worried about on a super short 9mm carbine?
    I’ve never noticed any such loss on my MP5 running tri-lug.
    Yes, you’ll have to buy the adapter and the mount, but that’s still cheaper than a barrel.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Direct thread works. The taper adapter will help and can be found at a couple different spots for $10ish. The 3 lug is going to run a little more. I did have a 3 lug mount that would get dirty then not apply the required tension resulting in terrible accuracy because the can was moving. I've tried a couple others without issue. There's only 3 positions. It's not hard to pick one and stick with it to keep your poi the same. I just use the manufacturer markings orientation to keep it consistent.

The mpx is gassy. It will suppress but you're likely to get a lot of gas out of the ejection port and harder cycling. ILWT gas plugs and heavy recoil springs may help if you want to tune it.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    My supressor friend told me it was gassy. And preferred the scorpion or banshee. But I didn't listen because of the plastic toy feel of the scorpion. And trying to keep it ultra compact. And i wanted to see for myself..... Im happy with the way the banshee shoots suppressed, but i bought the copperhead (mpx) first (availability). Also there have been improvements to the mpx. I think most of the gas leaks are at the charging handle (?) (No supressed experience here) And I believe they changed the design of the charging handle or perhaps I could modify a gasket or purchase an aftermarket handle. But the real issue or question i have is, what's the best way to suppress the MPX? MAC on YouTube had issues with the accuracy with a tri-lug at 20 yards which is unacceptable. My Banshee is super accurate suppressed, felt like I couldn't miss at 50+ yards...

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    My supressor friend told me it was gassy. And preferred the scorpion or banshee. But I didn't listen because of the plastic toy feel of the scorpion. And trying to keep it ultra compact. And i wanted to see for myself..... Im happy with the way the banshee shoots suppressed, but i bought the copperhead (mpx) first (availability). Also there have been improvements to the mpx. I think most of the gas leaks are at the charging handle (?) (No supressed experience here) And I believe they changed the design of the charging handle or perhaps I could modify a gasket or purchase an aftermarket handle. But the real issue or question i have is, what's the best way to suppress the MPX? MAC on YouTube had issues with the accuracy with a tri-lug at 20 yards which is unacceptable. My Banshee is super accurate suppressed, felt like I couldn't miss at 50+ yards
    Direct thread works. The taper adapter will help and can be found at a couple different spots for $10ish. The 3 lug is going to run a little more. I did have a 3 lug mount that would get dirty then not apply the required tension resulting in terrible accuracy because the can was moving. I've tried a couple others without issue. There's only 3 positions. It's not hard to pick one and stick with it to keep your poi the same. I just use the manufacturer markings orientation to keep it consistent.

The mpx is gassy. It will suppress but you're likely to get a lot of gas out of the ejection port and harder cycling. ILWT gas plugs and heavy recoil springs may help if you want to tune it.
    Would like to know about tuning, maybe in another thread. If I have issues.?.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My supressor friend told me it was gassy. And preferred the scorpion or banshee. But I didn't listen because of the plastic toy feel of the scorpion. And trying to keep it ultra compact. And i wanted to see for myself..... Im happy with the way the banshee shoots suppressed, but i bought the copperhead (mpx) first (availability). Also there have been improvements to the mpx. I think most of the gas leaks are at the charging handle (?) (No supressed experience here) And I believe they changed the design of the charging handle or perhaps I could modify a gasket or purchase an aftermarket handle. But the real issue or question i have is, what's the best way to suppress the MPX? MAC on YouTube had issues with the accuracy with a tri-lug at 20 yards which is unacceptable. My Banshee is super accurate suppressed, felt like I couldn't miss at 50+ yards

Would like to know about tuning, maybe in another thread. If I have issues.?.
    "Best" is subjective. You've got a lot of variables. If you've only got one can, you don't have a lot of options. If there's a difference in suppression between direct thread and 3 lug, I don't think the user is going to be able to realize any difference. Short barrel isn't going to help with the pressure/gas but it may keep more rounds subsonic. Larger can is going to help suppression and back pressure. The gas from the charging handle is a thing but most of its going to be coming out of the ejection port. I'd argue the mpx is the superior platform over the scorpion and banshee. Scorpion is fine but it can be gassy as well. The rdb system in the cmmg is supposed to be great for suppressed but phuk glock pcc mags right in the ear.

There aren't a lot of stock guns that supress "well". Most will take a little work to get the gas/ recoil reduced with adjustable blocks, increased spring rates, heavier buffers or longer gas systems(as appropriate). Pick your poison.

Last edited:

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Thanks for your input! Do you have a taper adapter source to recommend?
    Also I might be willing to purchase a MPX dedicated can (depending on price) if it works like a charm. But for now all I have is a Rugged 45. I know Sig makes suppressors. Anyone use one on a copperhead?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks for your input! Do you have a taper adapter source to recommend?
    Also I might be willing to purchase a MPX dedicated can (depending on price) if it works like a charm. But for now all I have is a Rugged 45. I know Sig makes suppressors. Anyone use one on a copperhead?

I've used an omega 9k, octane 9, octane 45 and a Rex Silentium MG7 in .358 cal on MPXs between 4 and 8". All have been direct thread. Of those, I prefer the Rex. It's not the lightest but it's a large volume can that cuts down on the back pressure. The compactness of the omega looks cool but isn't the most pleasant. If you can put up with the length of the 8" and a full size can, that combo will suppress well.

floridaroofer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I want to suppress my Copperhead MPX. Without having to purchase an aftermarket barrel.
    Scuttlebutt is they are hard to suppress. The Rugged Suppressors rep i spoke with said i just needed the correct piston, but he didn't have one in stock. And im not sure if he really knew much about the sig. But others say because of the tapered barrel behind the threads, an adapter is need so the can will be concentric to the barrel. My friend told me he uses the tri lug adapter. Which id rather not use because it adversely effects accuracy. He agreed, but said if I sighted it in with the trilug, if I used the same orientation (lug) accuracy wouldn't be as effected. So, I could mark the can to help me keep the orientation. But what if I use it on multiple platforms? Then things get confusing to remember which mark matches which gun...

So does anyone have experience with Sig?
    Will direct thread work?
    The copperhead is (so far) the only firearm I own with the European reverse threads.
    I'd rather not spend the dime on the piston, and it not work. Then have to spend the dime on parts to make my can work with the tri-lug. Sigh...

I suppressed a Sig MPX. I simply direct threaded a Silencerco Octane 9. It works awesome. Never hiccups and is accurate. I did cut down the barrel a touch so that it sits inside the rail. Installed a CMC trigger on it too before the Timney MPX triggers came out for it. Always cycles. I've ran subsonic and regular ammo through it of all types. One of my favorite guns, but just real heavy. I do not have the copperhead though, just the regular pistol version with a brace.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I suppressed a Sig MPX. I simply direct threaded a Silencerco Octane 9. It works awesome. Never hiccups and is accurate. I did cut down the barrel a touch so that it sits inside the rail. Installed a CMC trigger on it too before the Timney MPX triggers came out for it. Always cycles. I've ran subsonic and regular ammo through it of all types. One of my favorite guns, but just real heavy. I do not have the copperhead though, just the regular pistol version with a brace.
    Who did your barrel work?

Top Bottom