• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gameaholic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Got some bullets, powder, primers, and used 30-30 brass that I am going to try and reload for my contender. Only going to load about a 100 rounds, that should last years. Do I need to invest in a tumbler and media? Or is there a way to clean it without one?

Attachments

• 20230318_163649.jpg
      20230318_163649.jpg
      272.6 KB · Views: 46

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you're not concerned with the brass being new looking just soak them in a warm water with soap and give them a good washing. Air dry and load away.

carvertim

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Simplest way to do a short batch is to use hot water from the tap, a little dish soap and some lemishine (citric acid, found at Walmart). Put in a closed container agitate for about a minute, then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Dump the water out run hot water over the shells, dump them on a rag or towel, leave in the sun for a couple of hours, or heat in the oven for about an hour on warm. Basically what I do with my large batches in the wet tumbler, but a little simpler. Brass comes out clean and shiny most of the time. You can deprime before you soak, and it cleans the primer pockets, but that is not required. just make sure to get them dry or moisture can kill the primers. Ask me how I know! Best of luck.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I use Frankford Arsenal liquid Brass Cleaner. I double the amount of Cleaner to Water Ratio. Soak the same amount of time while moving the brass around. Wear a Nitrile Rubber Glove. Rinse, Dry, and give a Short Tumble in Dry, Untreated Media. I use Crushed Walnut Shells. They finish up Bright, Shiny, and Slick.

markpixs

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back when I was young and poorer, I'd put the brass and walnut media with a dab of polish in a 5 gallon bucket, fit the lid on tight then let it roll around in the back of my pickup, as I drove around, for a few days. Worked like a charm, tumbled and vibrated depending on the roads

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I simply tumble mine in crushed walnut hulls with a little Berry's brass polish (about 5-6 drops per load) and a half sheet paper towel to soak up the dirt and keep the walnut media cleaner MUCH longer. BUT, if confronted by this (43 Spanish boxer primer brass):

21E5D3D4-134D-4135-A17F-F2EE79DFE4E1.jpeg

A friend of mine that does wet tumbling with stainless steel pins, took the above brass and ran it in his wet tumbling for me. Wet tumbling does require more steps and drying of the brass. It turned out like this (this is one of the actual cases shown above):

D9475105-CB24-48E4-AA3A-3A8A0A0C228B.jpeg

16 pieces of boxer primer 43 Spanish brass was found in a wet drum of scrap brass bought by a hobby brass caster, and he posted could anybody use it otherwise he'd melt it down. I reload 43 Spanish and readily accepted the free brass. New boxer 43 Spanish brass cost a few dollars for each piece. Every one turned out great with no holes, splits, or bulges...perfectly useable.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    @Daezee dryer sheets work pretty good for picking up the dirt in media. I usually rip one sheet up into about 3 pieces...they are kinda sticky and pick up good.

SS media is real good for that kinda stuff

Top Bottom