• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So for a minute, I've been thinking about getting a semi-automatic shotgun for home/self defense.

I had a Mossberg SA-20 Tactical, felt a bit good operating it, however it had some issues where the spent shells wouldn't eject, ended up selling it. I get really bad vibes from guns that jam.

With that in mind, excluding the Benelli M4, what would y'all say are some semi-auto's I should consider for a serious role?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    $300-$400 will get you a Remington licensed clone of a $600-$700 Browning Auto 5. It is spring, not gas, so no O-rings to worry about. Uncomplicated diehard design
    Which model? Don't tell everybody. Let me get one before they are out of stock. :)
    Edit. Model 11. Forgot about it. I don't think you'll find one that cheap at today's prices.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Which model? Don't tell everybody. Let me get one before they are out of stock. :)
    Edit. Model 11. Forgot about it. I don't think you'll find one that cheap at today's prices.
    I saw a Remington recently sell for that low. All depends on condition, of course. I don't mind surface rust or wood scratches on a weapon meant for hard use. Saw a few $600 Browning Auto 5's sitting on a rack at the LL Bean store in Freeport Maine before moving back home, but they are surely all sold by now. Worth checking on, though

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I got the pleasure of attending Tom Givens' first Defensive Shotgun Instructor's Course a few years back and the guys using pump guns gave up nothing to those with semi-autos.

In fact, I saw Lee Weems (a member here) of First Person Safety smoke the class in a drill that required shooting four plates, conduct a combat reload, then shoot a fifth one. He did it in UNDER four seconds, there's a video of it floating around.

I do admit the semi's are sexy though.

ETA- just looked at the video and I believe Tom called out 3.89 seconds.

BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m a fan of gas operated shotguns. One reason. I’ve had my share of off-road MC wrecks. The shoulders have been cut on. Felt recoil is much less (to me). Less recoil equals faster recovery. That 2nd shot, (and you’ll need it) will be in milliseconds. The 1187 can be inexpensive and oring replacement is maybe every 1000 shells (I duck hunt, a lot). Having said that, my home defense is a pump 870 with 18.5 barrel, because 1st shot is way more important than 2nd.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My HK Benelli M1 runs faster than a Benelli M4, so there's that. :)

Next would be the Benelli M2.

I also have a HK FABARM that's at the top of the list with the Benelli M4.

Added pics for reference, not talking bird guns here. Benelli is Inertia, FABARM is gas system, similar to an 1100/1187 but much better designed. Both hold 9 2-3/4" in current configuration. :)

BENELLI M1.jpg

H&K FABARM.jpg

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I saw a Remington recently sell for that low. All depends on condition, of course. I don't mind surface rust or wood scratches on a weapon meant for hard use. Saw a few $600 Browning Auto 5's sitting on a rack at the LL Bean store in Freeport Maine before moving back home, but they are surely all sold by now. Worth checking on, though

The Remingtons are much heavier than the brownings.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    the old 1100 or 11-87 are tough to beat. with a few minor mods they are still a viable option. just stay away from recent big green production... they haven't been known for the best quality as of late.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an older Beretta AL 390. It has easily over 20k rounds through it. Never had a malfunction and never replaced any parts whatsoever. Best gas semi ever produced IMO. Mine is a diamond Sporting edition, not a self defense gun.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Last edited:

EdinFla

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi all from lovely Myakka.

Just bought this

JTS M12AK 12 Gauge Semi Auto Tactical Shotgun

JTS M12AK 12 Gauge Semi Auto Tactical Shotgun Magazine

JTS M12AK 12 Gauge 18" Semi Auto Tactical Shotgun​

Actually bought two but a LE pal swapped me for one. He has put 100's thru it and loves it. Bought a couple 10 round mags, it comes with two 5 rounders.

Semi-autos get me nervous but this thing seems to be pretty reliable. To be honest, the price point got me ... $299 from Palmetto with free shipping (bought some other stuff to get over the minimum for free)

Again ... $299.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't overlook the pump shotgun, Winchester Model 12, Ithaca Model 37, and the remingtons. And don't overlook the 20 gauge at close range there is practically no difference except in felt recoil. As far as economics goes look for older shotguns
    20220407_075431.jpg
    with some type of poly choke on the end of the barrel usually get a much better deal and it's no problem to cut them off. All of these Model 12 had poly chokes of some form cut off.

Top Bottom