• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi there, my wife is getting into this but she does have sensitive ears. I wanted to get a good set of ear protection for her and was wondering what some good opinions were. Such as the types that allow for hearing of talking nearby but help cancel out the loud firing sounds (wondering if those are for real or not).

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    There is a wide range of brands and pricing. You will want an electronic set for sure. Walker is one respected brand to look into.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Biggest problem that I have is my hard and tight cheek weld to the stock,vs the big cupped style "ears".
    I have even tried the ones that are of a somewhat lower/flatter profile.
    To me,they simply get in the way (my way) of a good gun mounting practice. The same,tight,no roll over cheek weld,the same way (given the different stock contours),is a good shooting practice. I simply cannot practice this with them damn big plastic things getting pressed up against the stock.
    I always end up pushing them up and only covering the top part of my ear and not having the proper seal,which negates even wearing them.
    I always revert back to a good (?) set of ear plugs. ---- SAWMAN

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In my estimation the fitted ear plugs are best if you are going to spend a lot of time on the range. I can't use muffs when shooting skeet or rifle because they interfere with my gun mount. I use high end electronic muffs when instructing or when shooting pistol, so that I can hear what is being said on the line. I had my most recent set of plugs made by a hearing doc in Milton, here is link to her practice.

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yes , She is good , I use her for Hearing aides . Will look into Plugs . On a side note The Audiologist lost her hearing at 15? , more thorough than my first set from another . Recommend highly ,her ear canal check is shown on wall you can watch , 1/2 mile from SRHospital , easy access via Quintet Hwy .

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    If you want to try out custom molded before spending a lot of money I use decibullz that I bought off of amazon for $25. Easy to mold at home and if you don't get it right the first time you can re-mold them.

skipperbrown

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I will suggest plugs and muffs. My wife has tiny ears and I had to find smaller plugs (disposable) for her. Plugs are good for about 30 dB protection IF IF IF they are installed properly. Then you can add muffs for a little more protection but you won't get the protection of combining the dB protection of both. Sound also travels through your bone and if you kept all sound from entering your ear, you will still have hearing loss from loud impulse noise like high power. Unless you shoot suppressed, you will sustain hearing damage shooting guns no matter what you wear. Go to any range where old timers hang out and they are all going, Huh? What? I know that because I'm an old fart.

I use plugs with amplified muffs. I get the max protection and can still hear range commands.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife has tried plugs and they just don't seem to work. I am teaching her concealed carry and pistol tactics for now (she's quite the natural at it) and she leaves the hunting to me so I'm not too worried about her messing up any butt stocks.

Will totally look into molded plugs for me though!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooting any firearm within the close quarters of a sealed room without ear protection can be an unnerving experience. It would be a luxury if you even had ear plugs when engaged in actual CQB. JMHO. But the Army Version has proven to be insufficient, see the Law Firm Commercials airing publicly daily.

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Shooting any firearm within the close quarters of a sealed room without ear protection can be an unnerving experience. It would be a luxury if you even had ear plugs when engaged in actual CQB. JMHO. But the Army Version has proven to be insufficient, see the Law Firm Commercials airing publicly daily.
    Double sided one size fits all ,what about AI hearing aides with custom earpiece ?? Not being smart . Just looking at option !

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Double sided one size fits all ,what about AI hearing aides with custom earpiece ?? Not being smart . Just looking at option !

Nowadays I shoot mostly outdoor, so the Old Naval Aviation Flight Line/ Aircrew foam earplugs offer enough protection to prevent flinching and hearing loss for me. If I'm not the nut-on-the-butt I'll double up with a pair of Mickey Mouse Aviation Ears. The combo works even at jet engine DB levels, but as Sawman stated earlier, it's difficult to get a solid cheek weld with double hearing protection. Since my goal for hearing protection is more about not losing my own hearing, than the ability to communicate Orally (vice hand signals on the range) is of far lower importance to Me. When discharging handguns double protection isn't an operational hindrance so I recommend Double Protection for all handgun work. JMHO.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Pro Ears Gold. It is worth the extra coins for faster response time. Cuts off loud noise sooner. I’ve had other electronic muffs.

Top Bottom