• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So it's a habit to toss the tenderloin on the fire/skillet while finishing the butchering, but what if Y'all waited a bit?
    What tittles Y all's taste buds?
    Do rib eyes stack up against porterhouse cuts? (Yup, ain't a porterhouse if Y all eat the tenderloin)
    How about a T-Bone cut?
    Now some folks are going to claim that these terms only refer to Beef, but when butchering your own kill these are not animal specific terms.
    Neck roasts, hind quarters, and belly fat might lay claim to different names, yet they are not different butchering techniques.

So T-Bone, Porter House, Rib Eye, or Tenderloin, what's Y all's favorite cut ????

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Definitely waygu strips from Costello's

Perhaps I could ask which waygu cut makes Y all's mouth water the most?

All Kobe beef is waygu, but not all waygu beef is Kobe. Yet butchering a cut of meat isn't the same as raising a type of meat. So I'd ask that we select the cut of meat butchered over how the meat is raised, Thank You.

).

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Porterhouse for me but I’ve got a buddy who would rather have a shoulder roast when it comes to venison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd love to have his recipe, because sometimes the cooking method dictates the taste of the menu. The best cut poorly prepared may not be as savory as the worst cut properly prepared? JMHO.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Beef - Rib roast, chuck roast

deer - true tenderloin, tenderloin, ham steaks (marinated in beer and cooked over hardwood).

pig - pork belly (BACON), butt roast, ribs

chicken - dark meat

duck - breast

goose - great shooting but bad eating (great goose chili recipe that calls for throwing out the goose meat)

Wild turkey - see above - except good out of a bottle

Elk - all of it

Bear - good in chili

Dove - Breasts

Qual - the whole thing (fried)

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Definitely waygu strips from Costello's
    Best steak I ever had was in Argentina. These are from free range and grass fed cattle. A one kilo steak along with whatever side dishes you wanted was all of $4.00. When the waiter brought my steak, I asked if I could please have a steak knife. Basically he told me if I needed a steak knife, I should send the steak back because it must be too tough. He then picked up the fork and a spoon and proceeded show me how easily a spoon would cut that steak. He still brought me a knife. When I had finished my steak, he asked how if everything was alright. I told him it was the best I ever had but, one corner of it was a bit overcooked so that was why that small piece was left on my plate. He picked up the plate and we all continued our meals and drinks. A short time later the waiter returned and was all apologetic about the corner of the steak having been overcooked. With that, he put down a freshly cooked second one kilo steak and said, he hoped I would enjoy it. Had to sneak that one back to the room because, there was no way I could eat two of these one kilo steaks in one sitting.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having once tucked away 64 ounces of beef steak in Wisconsin, I might not be the GQ expert. But I rather have Dark Red Wines from Argentina and bold black coffees from Venezuela finished with an ONXY Venezuelan Cigar (since Cuban Upmann Corona Majors are still banned) But it would be excellent to trade these memories once again upon a dinner table. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Beef - Rib roast, chuck roast

deer - true tenderloin, tenderloin, ham steaks (marinated in beer and cooked over hardwood).

pig - pork belly (BACON), butt roast, ribs

chicken - dark meat

duck - breast

goose - great shooting but bad eating (great goose chili recipe that calls for throwing out the goose meat)

Wild turkey - see above - except good out of a bottle

Elk - all of it

Bear - good in chili

Dove - Breasts

Qual - the whole thing (fried)

We shall have to have this conversation on another thread at another time to explain the methods of cooking that makes each of the game animals palatable to savory that you have taken off the stove. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know either porter house or filet .Ijust don't know any more

Just a suggestion, if it's got a T-Bone and a big fillet it's probably a Porterhouse. If it don't have a T-Bone it's more than likely a Fillet Mignon and perhaps a Tenderloin. Now Y
    all's taste buds need to discern between a Mock Fillet and an actual Tenderloin. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    grew up with the butcher shop meat. Better than most but not as good as others
    How many critters did you take to the "Butcher Shop" for sale that didn't make it to Y all's table top for dinner/supper????????
    Not to mention severed with cream gravy and a half dozen eggs & biscuits with grits for breakfast???

Just Lookin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Deer neck makes very good BBQ. crock pot till done, pull meat off bone and cartilage, either pull it apart or cut like chuck roast, add sauce let it cook a lil longer muah!!!!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Deer neck makes very good BBQ. crock pot till done, pull meat off bone and cartilage, either pull it apart or cut like chuck roast, add sauce let it cook a lil longer muah!!!!
    Just how much neck meat do Y all have when you take that 300 yard plus neck shot to drop that venison?

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My nephew corned a deer neck, just like corned beef brisket, recently. He's in NY state, though, so I couldn't try it. He said it made the best hash for New Year's breakfast, along with farm fresh eggs and hash browns.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My personal favorite cut of venison is the shoulder, for sure.

Top Bottom