• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    I agree…but it didn’t feel good in my hands… that’s not to say it’s a bad rifle… I purchased it off gun broker and when I got it, it didn’t feel or look the way I thought it would….
    yeah I get ya. A gun shoots best if it fits. Other than that you cant go wrong with the more popular ones like 10/22 or Marlin 60 even a Remington 597 for good squirrel/plinker. 10/22 does have more factory and aftermarket support. Easy to get more magazines etc.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That is why I have gone with them, the 10/22, RPR .22LR, and several other Ruger Rifles take the same magazines.
    Yep... I still had some 10/22 mags left over, which played a part in the Precision and Charger purchases : )

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My Marlin Model 60’s are my favorites but that’s because they were what I first had for 22 rifles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A 22LR is usually picky about the ammo that it is fed. A 22LR headspaces on it's rim. The thickness is important for the more extreme accuracy.
    I have a headspace gauge and have found throughout the years that 22LR ammo manufacturers do not put alot of QC into their ammo.
    Some years ago I found what my 10/22 prefers and bought a case (5000rds) of it.
    My gun has a bunch of aftermarket parts including a carbon fiber bbl with a mach chamber. Trigger parts and stock also.I have a 3-9X40 Leupold on top.
    This gun was designed to take ruffed grouse off the limb. In my years in Maine it has taken several hundred.
    Most 22 owners buy the cheapest ammo that they can find. There are a ton of different varieties. The shooters will settle for so-so groups. If they miss a squirrel at 30yds ... "oh well".
    Try different ammo in your 22 gun. No matter the style action. Clean it often. You should be able to find a certain ammo that is waaaaay more accurate than the others. ---- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A 22LR is usually picky about the ammo that it is fed. A 22LR headspaces on it's rim. The thickness is important for the more extreme accuracy.
    I have a headspace gauge and have found throughout the years that 22LR ammo manufacturers do not put alot of QC into their ammo.
    Some years ago I found what my 10/22 prefers and bought a case (5000rds) of it.
    My gun has a bunch of aftermarket parts including a carbon fiber bbl with a mach chamber. Trigger parts and stock also.I have a 3-9X40 Leupold on top.
    This gun was designed to take ruffed grouse off the limb. In my years in Maine it has taken several hundred.
    Most 22 owners buy the cheapest ammo that they can find. There are a ton of different varieties. The shooters will settle for so-so groups. If they miss a squirrel at 30yds ... "oh well".
    Try different ammo in your 22 gun. No matter the style action. Clean it often. You should be able to find a certain ammo that is waaaaay more accurate than the others. ---- SAWMAN
    That last point you made is actually very important to me (cleaning the gun often). I am not good at all at taking things apart and putting them back together. In fact, I don’t enjoy it at all.
    So bolt action seems more friendly to me.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That last point you made is actually very important to me (cleaning the gun often). I am not good at all at taking things apart and putting them back together. In fact, I don’t enjoy it at all.
    So bolt action seems more friendly to me.
    Hey! Almost forgot:

Knowing what I know now about my Ruger Precision, I probably would've gone for one of the Savage bolt actions instead... specifically, the ones with the green laminated stock that have been showing up at Walmarts for about $400. Adjustable length-of-pull and comb (these appear to be Boyds "AT-ONE" stocks, in the "Zombie Hunter" color-scheme, see: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/at-one), heavy threaded barrel, "disposable" scope, etc. I don't think they appear on the Savage website, and I don't think I've seen them anywhere else, which makes me think they are Walmart-exclusive.

Last edited:

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gentlemen,
    is there a general consensus that the best overall 22lr for general purposes (target and squirrel hunting) is the Ruger 10/22?
    Let's go back to the original question can we agreed that general-purpose accuracy is minute of squirrel head at 25 yards( accurate enough to hit a squirrel in the head consistently at 25 yards) I think if we put personal preferences aside realistically you'd have to agree that the Ruger 10/22 is the gun of choice. What other 22 rifle has been copied by as many different manufacturers as the 10/22.... with that being said I think most quality 22 rifles are capable of that kind of accuracy if we do our part. So I think the first thing to consider is personal preference, did we prefer an automatic a lever action a pump or a bolt action. The next question is budget, here is a trio of Winchester that comes in automatic , lever action and pump and also will shoot shorts longs and long rifles

Attachments

• 20220123_155441.jpg
      20220123_155441.jpg
      520.8 KB · Views: 81

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Let's go back to the original question can we agreed that general-purpose accuracy is minute of squirrel head at 25 yards( accurate enough to hit a squirrel in the head consistently at 25 yards) I think if we put personal preferences aside realistically you'd have to agree that the Ruger 10/22 is the gun of choice. What other 22 rifle has been copied by as many different manufacturers as the 10/22.... with that being said I think most quality 22 rifles are capable of that kind of accuracy if we do our part. So I think the first thing to consider is personal preference, did we prefer an automatic a lever action a pump or a bolt action. The next question is budget, here is a trio of Winchester that comes in automatic , lever action and pump and also will shoot shorts longs and long rifles
    Back to the original question...No it's not.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    GFG…(Gun Forum Gentlemen)
    thank you for a great conversation on this topic….
    just wanted to let you know I decided to go with a Tikka, t1x MTR 22lr… Interestingly, MTR, stands for “Multi Task Rimfire Rifle“ (I think)….and was made initially for a hunting/sporting rifle…..
    Thank you again….Now to get a scope and rail…..

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    GFG…(Gun Forum Gentlemen)
    thank you for a great conversation on this topic….
    just wanted to let you know I decided to go with a Tikka, t1x MTR 22lr… Interestingly, MTR, stands for “Multi Task Rimfire Rifle“ (I think)….and was made initially for a hunting/sporting rifle…..
    Thank you again….Now to get a scope and rail…..
    High end rifle.
    Nice, please post some pics when you get it scoped.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    These two, the first a 1968 Browning SA-22 and the second a year 1910 model 1906 Winchester pump gallery gun, CLASSICS

Attachments

• 8C63160B-8EBF-4879-94AC-1B98696605CE.jpeg
      8C63160B-8EBF-4879-94AC-1B98696605CE.jpeg
      410.1 KB · Views: 73
    • DAD33C53-27E6-4A54-9E39-6DB22377C489.jpeg
      DAD33C53-27E6-4A54-9E39-6DB22377C489.jpeg
      463.4 KB · Views: 71
    Top Bottom