• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I have some 20 gauge shells sitting around, more than likely intending on getting rid of them, but kind of wondering;

Are there any 20 gauge shotguns out there that excel past anything in 12 gauge, like something that just does a better job overall in that shell size?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Identical specs, the 12ga will always win. A correctly patterned 20 at your chosen distance may exceed an inadequate 12ga depending on the loads. The 12ga has more power, and the larger shells can carry larger projectiles. I wouldn't buy a 20ga just to shoot the shells, because in the end, you'll buy more 20ga shells to load your new shotgun lol.

Recoil, weight, length of pull. There are so many factors in making the gun comfortable and accurate, regardless of which has more power. They are all fun.

Last edited:

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't ask me to explain why you should have a 20 gauge, The question is why you don't already have one..... When I was a young man an old gentleman once described the difference between a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge Like this. A 12 gauge is like the wife you've been married to for 40 years, And the 20 gauge is like some 25 year old beauty. The wife would probably do everything better and more efficiently, But if you spent time with the 25 year old you'd still be thinking about it the next day.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exactly!

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have an older Winchester model 1200 in 20 ga w/ (2) 18" & 26" barrels w/ screw in chokes. It fits me like a glove and I can shoot it much faster than my 870 Tactical or my previous Mossbergs. If you can find an older 1200 they are MUCH better than than the current crop of pump guns!

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    So I have some 20 gauge shells sitting around, more than likely intending on getting rid of them, but kind of wondering;

Are there any 20 gauge shotguns out there that excel past anything in 12 gauge, like something that just does a better job overall in that shell size?
    So let's see if I have this right. You don't currently own a 20 gauge shotgun. You have "some" 20 gauge shells. You're considering buying a 20 gauge shotgun to shoot up the few shells you have? You've considered "getting rid "of the 20 gauge shells but your having second thoughts? Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom