APOD Firearms

Beretta M9/92, is this normal? Possible crack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Picked up this M9A4 about a week ago. Was cleaning it up (have not fired yet) and noticed this gap right behind the firing pin, by where the hammer strikes. Is this gap normal? It has cerakote finish in the gap but it's not a clean cut.

Attachments

• 20220430_092110.jpg
      20220430_092110.jpg
      199.8 KB · Views: 136

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    You picked it up used, right?

Ahelimech

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found this on another site. Pretty good explanation.

Firing Pin Channel "Crack":
    It was explained that the "crack" originated when some early 92F pistols began cracking in that area. The reason they were cracking is that the safety body is larger on that side of the slide and therefore there is less metal on that side than the other side of the slide, resulting in cracking on some specimens after use. The relief cut, which appears to new users as a crack, was made to transfer the stresses being put on that area of the slide to stronger areas. Pre-FS models (92SB and 92F) don’t have the cut, as production ended on these before the cut was implemented. DAO "D" models also don’t have the cut, because they don’t have any material removed since they don’t have a safety assembly.

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Appreciate it guys. I really like this pistol but after reading the major QC issues I started to worry.
    I have an LTT, that particular firearm has been stellar. I've seen a few posts about barrels on the newer A4. But the many with no issues likely aren't posting about it. Glad to see you have nothing to worry about here.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Found this on another site. Pretty good explanation.

Firing Pin Channel "Crack":
    It was explained that the "crack" originated when some early 92F pistols began cracking in that area. The reason they were cracking is that the safety body is larger on that side of the slide and therefore there is less metal on that side than the other side of the slide, resulting in cracking on some specimens after use. The relief cut, which appears to new users as a crack, was made to transfer the stresses being put on that area of the slide to stronger areas. Pre-FS models (92SB and 92F) don’t have the cut, as production ended on these before the cut was implemented. DAO "D" models also don’t have the cut, because they don’t have any material removed since they don’t have a safety assembly.
    This same kind of issue was prevalent in the M1 Garands on their operating rods. They ended up doing a field modification that required a relief cut be done to the Op Rod to prevent the cracking near the charging handle as there was a 90 degree angle. Subsequent Op Rods were produced with the relief. Nice to see that Beretta addressed their cracking issue in much the same fashion.

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Appreciate it guys. I really like this pistol but after reading the major QC issues I started to worry.

Major QC issues?

There were some slide cracking issues the military found years ago using hot ammo, and there was an old update to the locking block where the 90 degree cut had a radius put in it, I do not know of any major issues on modern guns using standard or +p pressure ammo.

BTW, Taurus never updated their locking blocks and I never heard of an issue with them, also AFAIK, the Brigadier type slide has never had a reported slide crack. From the Beretta site: "the extra weight of the Brigadier slide, and you get enhanced durability"

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Major QC issues?

There were some slide cracking issues the military found years ago using hot ammo, and there was an old update to the locking block where the 90 degree cut had a radius put in it, I do not know of any major issues on modern guns using standard or +p pressure ammo.

BTW, Taurus never updated their locking blocks and I never heard of an issue with them, also AFAIK, the Brigadier type slide has never had a reported slide crack. From the Beretta site: "the extra weight of the Brigadier slide, and you get enhanced durability"
    Talk on multiple forums that pistols coming out of tenn has out of spec slides/barrels, some other stuff.
    I saw a bnib tomcat with marks on the slide and barrel, so dry and tight the flip barrel wouldn’t flip up. We considered that very minor though,

Probably due to ramping up production in a new factory with new staff, and probably a extremely small percentage overall.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Goggle Beretta locking block catastrophic failures if you really want to hear about how troublesome the locking block can be. I've had the experience, used my off thumb to complete the last shot required to end the confrontation. NOT Pretty!

Top Bottom