• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    I hadn’t talked about this revolver, as I’d not bought it, but was given it from Sawman’s estate. It was therefore never listed or offered for sale by his widow. I finally got around to testing it with various reloads and factory ammo today.

I’ve never owned a 41 Magnum. Friends said full power loads kicked about like a 44 Magnum. Not being thrilled by big recoil, I loaded up some milder loads + had Federal and Remington full power ammo bought from the estate.

The revolver, Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8”, was in nice condition and came with factory wood and synthetic grips. I thought it looked better with the black grips and felt slimmer, so that is what’s on it.

I fired factory ammo for baseline groups. Damn it kicked, but it rotated upwards in my hand more than kicking straight back so that helped. Also fired hand loads of 210 gr Xtreme plated bullets and Unique powder from 7 to 9 grains. 8.5 gr Unique was the most accurate (see target below). Not chronographed yet, but estimate it around 950-1000 fps. The plated bullets were found in the Cast Boolits for sale forum at 850+ for $85 shipping paid, so they were a good buy. Dies were bought from the estate and Unique I already had on hand.

Very pleased with how it shot. Sights had plenty of adjustment, so I could easily sight it in.

C00810A2-9E8E-4AE4-B25D-4062F97D2C51.jpeg

DAS HUGH!

Master
    I've heard it compared to 10mm. Never fired 41 tho. Looks like a fun round. Nice gun!

fla kid

Marksman
    I use a lot of 2400 for my 215 -220 cast i have a 220 keith mold that I love. if you would like to stop by

i can let you have a few different to try

boatbum101

Marksman
    Another 41 loonie . Started with a Model 58 41 M&P 4" , also had the Model 57's . Kept a 6.5" Blackhawk & a Henry lever . They handle heavy loads better than the Smiths . 8 to 9grs Unique classic with any cast 210 - 220gr . 7.5grs of SR7625 also a good load in the same power level . Settled on a 220gr LBT WFN in the Ruger & working on a 240gr LBT LFN in the Henry .

Daezee

Master
    My 8.5gr Unique with 210gr Xtreme plated flat nose averaged 950fps at 10' from the muzzle. Fired one shot with Federal factory 210gr HP and it went 1356.9fps. Shot 50rds of my reload today and enjoyed it. My reloads have some kick to them, but the revolver kinda pivots up, and the kick is not too bad.

I'd like the Lyman mould 410610 (gas check 215gr SWC), but it was discontinued years ago.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    My 8.5gr Unique with 210gr Xtreme plated flat nose averaged 950fps at 10' from the muzzle. Fired one shot with Federal factory 210gr HP and it went 1356.9fps. Shot 50rds of my reload today and enjoyed it.
    I have the same one in 45 colt, 45 acp model. Love it.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom