• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have been thinking about getting a “good” semi auto tactical shotgun. I have heard that m2’s might have cycling issues if you have a side saddle. Some people seem to mention that is only with the rigid side saddles. I have and would be using the ESTAAC cards. Anyone with firsthand experience with this?

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The M2 is inertia driven. Is the theory the side saddle adds weight and interferes or reduces the rearward impulse of the gun upon firing?

I have a 20 gauge M2 field gun, it has cycled 2.75 inch target loads and 3 inch pheasant and turkey loads, but I don't use a side saddle.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The M2 is inertia driven. Is the theory the side saddle adds weight and interferes or reduces the rearward impulse of the gun upon firing?

I have a 20 gauge M2 field gun, it has cycled 2.75 inch target loads and 3 inch pheasant and turkey loads, but I don't use a side saddle.
    I assume that is part of it. One thread I found from a random search mentioned a side saddle that “bolts” to the receiver and was causing problems. Some people commented that he should have used the Velcro ones. Not sure why that would make a difference. It’s the shells that add the weight.

I keep thinking I want a semi auto tactical shotgun but also see where the money could be spent on other things such as a PCC, AR, AR9, can etc.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    If I understand the question, I think it's because the rigid side saddles bolt through the receiver. Some are tightened down to tight on the aluminum receiver and bind the bolt. It doesn't take much. If you use the rigid and they provide torque specs don't exceed them and you'll be fine. The cards stick to the outside. They don't require bolting. Weight or inertia has nothing to do with it. Cards are the way to go and as a bonus they are light and less expensive. IMO. If you want to take the card off, the receiver cleans up easy like nothing was ever there.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    With the m2, a sidesaddle shouldn’t cause any issues by itself. With inertia driven weapons like the m2, it is weight in general that causes the malfunctions. If you do other accessories like a weapon light and a side saddle, that’s where you can start having problems, but a side saddle or light alone should be 100% with buck or slugs.
    Typically, a heavier weapon has less felt recoil, because the weight of the weapon dampens the recoil. If it’s an inertia driven weapon, it needs the heavier recoil to cycle, so the more weight you add to it, the higher chance of a malfunction. I’ve used a m2 with sidesaddle with no issues, but no light. The Velcro cards will weigh less than a bolt on saddle, which can’t hurt. But if you want to run reliably with lots of accessories, go with a piston driven M4 instead.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I keep telling my self that I will keep saving my lunch money and get the gas operated Beretta 1301 instead of the used m2 I have looked at. I wish the Stoeger m3000 was threaded for chokes.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Or a Mossberg 940 if you can find one. The OP stated "tactical shotgun".
    I keep telling my self that I will keep saving my lunch money and get the gas operated Beretta 1301 instead of the used m2 I have looked at. I wish the Stoeger m3000 was threaded for chokes.
    If tactical is what you seek in a shotgun which is usually within 20 yards, chokes have little value at that distance. Don't let that be your only governing criteria. Attached Mossberg 930 seven minute video worth a watch. The add ons mentioned are available. They install easily.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have been very happy with my Stoger m3000 - once JJ helped me get it all fixed up. :)

If you want chokes the M3k is threaded for them.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Come on guys read what Blues brother said,, the weight has nothing to do with it. but the screw tightened down to much will, Have seen this with 1100 and 870 and some others. If you have problem with the screw coming lose use some blue lock tight, I use the bolt on all of my shot guns. when I had to use mine one night the rubber did not hold under stress. lost most of my shells when I went to reload they were not there. Now think about it. just my 5 cents jj

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I currently own a Stoeger m3000 with 24” barrel. I have added a +5 MOA precision tube extension to it. I don’t “need” anything but want an 18” barrel semi auto that is threaded for chokes. According to the Mossberg site, the 18” 930 is not threaded. Hopefully I will keep saving and get the Beretta unless I get an itch for something else in a different category. That is likely to happen for me:)

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I currently own a Stoeger m3000 with 24” barrel. I have added a +5 MOA precision tube extension to it. I don’t “need” anything but want an 18” barrel semi auto that is threaded for chokes. According to the Mossberg site, the 18” 930 is not threaded. Hopefully I will keep saving and get the Beretta unless I get an itch for something else in a different category. That is likely to happen for me:)

Barrels can be threaded after leaving the factory.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sumtoy customs will cut and re thread anything you got... my 20g m2 turkey killer. Cut to 18" Threaded for a trulock .562 and receiver drilled for FF3 red dot.
    670b5693c708c96d2c217a47f2148980.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom