• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    In the past I have mostly shot hand guns at the range. Started shootings some rifles, and ran into a couple of questions.

1) I have a set of bags that I was using, but I didn’t like it. What Bench Rest do y’all like to use?

2) I use ear plugs with ear muffs, but the ear muffs got in the way of the rifle stock. What ear protection do y’all like to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I use Walker Razor Slim with ear plugs. I switched to this from 30 NRR ear muffs for the same reason, they got in the way of the stock. I am no help on the bench rest. I'm watching this thread for feedback as well. :)

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I use Walker Razor Slim with ear plugs. I switched to this from 30 NRR ear muffs for the same reason, they got in the way of the stock. I am no help on the bench rest. I'm watching this thread for feedback as well. :)

I was hitting the stock with my ear muffs also. I ordered some of those Walker Razor Slims this morning.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    As far as the bench rests goes , it would help if you would state what your intended use is ;
    1.Getting a scope & rifle zeroed in
    2.Testing your hand loads / 22 LR Ammo
    3. Actual Bench Rest shooting like the 22 BR match's

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As far as the bench rests goes , it would help if you would state what your intended use is ;
    1.Getting a scope & rifle zeroed in
    2.Testing your hand loads / 22 LR Ammo
    3. Actual Bench Rest shooting like the 22 BR match's

At the moment I am just sighting in my scopes. I don’t want to limit myself to just sighting in scopes. I may want to use competitively in the future.

Psycho 16

Celer,Silens,Mortalis
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Different conditions call for different positions. I always used a BOB, DB, or bipod. Imho, explore your options. Exhaust your resources . Everyone is a shooter! Just some are efficient, DEAD on, and some just Seriously Underestimate Conditions for Killing.(SUCK). Be safe shoot straight!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have recently started using a Caldwell Rock BR and it is pretty good for shooting from a bench. I use bipods in prone positions. The bags that come with it are pretty much junk....especially the benchrest bag. The hunting stock bag will do in a pinch until you find something better. I picked up an Edgewood to replace the benchrest bag that came with it...it also has the slick stuff on it. Protector bags are good but not as nice as Edgewoods...just my opinion. My rear bag for the moment is a leather Protector and I will replace it soon. The leather will require some type of lub (baby powder) to make it slick enough for the rifle to recoil straight back. We run straight stocks one way and tapered stocks the other way on the rear bag...so the stock doesn't drag on the bag. You may also need to modify the front rifle stop for benchrest type stocks.

I use plugs at times and Howard Leight depending on what I'm doing or both even. If you find something real good let us know...all of them have drawbacks even if they are low profile. They do outweigh the results from not using them

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    I'm considering getting a pair og electronic ear plugs, but uncertain if they will be enough protection.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm considering getting a pair og electronic ear plugs, but uncertain if they will be enough protection.
    google NRR & SNR and compare what you have and what you want. the electronics let low noise like normal talk come through, but shut off that feature when hit with high db levels. Good for hunting and competition shooting where safety and range commands must be here

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    For my "bag" shooting I use one of those 2-part bags that you see in Wal-Mart for about $25.00.

I place two or three homemade bags on top of the front bag to get the rifle up off the bench and use the rear bag as designed. Sometimes I do use another homemade bag at/near the grip/pistol grip area.

With that said, most of my shooting is from a bi-pod with read homemade bag support. I don't always use a front bag but when I do, it's as described as above.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, to be able to make actual corrections via the turrets it's time to skip the bags. (Best bag, wool sock filled with common beach sand.) Wait for sale or pony up the Grant and get a Caldwell rest. You now know where you aimed and repeat the shot placement after recoil, which allows you to zero your scope with minimum rounds expended.

Get some of those foam ear plugs like the Military uses for folks working round jet engines, they won't interfere with your cheek weld. Now double protection, foam + ear muffs are better, but since it shouldn't take more than 3 rounds to zero a scope off an actual rest, (no matter how flimsy) it will work better than all the sand bag, ruff sack, diddy bag arrangements your going experiment with along the way. JMHO.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/the-steady-rest-nxt/548664.html#start=1

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In the past I have mostly shot hand guns at the range. Started shootings some rifles, and ran into a couple of questions.

1) I have a set of bags that I was using, but I didn’t like it. What Bench Rest do y’all like to use?

2) I use ear plugs with ear muffs, but the ear muffs got in the way of the rifle stock. What ear protection do y’all like to use?

Hart.

David Clark ear protection.

Top Bottom