• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Everyone on here is giving you very good advise. Chuck9703 is right on the money with how he started out. I started out about the same way. Lee, RCBS, and Redding brands are what I mostly use now. Other brands are good too. That RCBS Rock Chucker is the perfect single stage press. Mine is still going strong after no telling how many years. I mostly use my Redding T7 press now though.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have an original rock chucker on my bench that’s older than I am. It will always have a place on the bench. Great press to get started with too.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    how so? at least you can't double charge them
    I don't want to mess up the shoulder while reloading 5.56 or 308. What I need to do is sit with someone who has done it before and make sure I am doing it right.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just use a case comparator, like the pic. Only bump the shoulder back a few thou, or enough to gauge. Not terribly complicated, and reloading precision rifle is much more rewarding IMO.

Attachments

• 2BEEB4FD-3B93-448A-A4CA-01D87BF0610B.jpeg
      2BEEB4FD-3B93-448A-A4CA-01D87BF0610B.jpeg
      481.1 KB · Views: 93

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    @ Longtooth the hardest part may be setting up the die and that's where I see most first timers make an error. You have a case gauge in your rifle if you need one. Sometimes you can make a case longer if the datum area of the die doesn't come into contact with the datum area of the case to set the shoulders back. The Hornady coparator that Bullet Splatter posted is a pretty good value too. Sorry I'm not closer be happy to run by for a minute.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    @ Longtooth the hardest part may be setting up the die and that's where I see most first timers make an error. You have a case gauge in your rifle if you need one. Sometimes you can make a case longer if the datum area of the die doesn't come into contact with the datum area of the case to set the shoulders back. The Hornady coparator that Bullet Splatter posted is a pretty good value too. Sorry I'm not closer be happy to run by for a minute.
    Iv had a few people tell me they wouldn't mind helping out. Its just life keeps everyone busy. Im sure Ill get to it soon. :)

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I did pick up a used Lee turret press today. Can't wait to get that set up and try it. :)

Reactions: lrz

Shadowtech

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thinking about poking my head into this rabit hole. Mainly for loading 444 marlin but pretty sure I will expand from there. Got a couple of books on the way. Was thinking about Chuck’s lead and just getting the basics before I saw this Lyman set.
    Haven’t heard much on Lyman other than their manual. Any thoughts?
    3AEA5708-243D-455B-849A-AAF549DA38A7.png

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thinking about poking my head into this rabit hole. Mainly for loading 444 marlin but pretty sure I will expand from there. Got a couple of books on the way. Was thinking about Chuck’s lead and just getting the basics before I saw this Lyman set.
    Haven’t heard much on Lyman other than their manual. Any thoughts? View attachment 182532

Just FYI, that same kit is a lot cheaper at Grafs or midsouthshootersupply.

Shadowtech

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup I first saw it on Amazon but then looked around. I think midsouth has the best deal and only 32$ shipping I’ll check grafs though and thanks!

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Personally, I have found Lyman products to be top notch. My Turbo Tumbler has been in use since 1987 and is still going strong (knock wood) & I've used their dies, trimmer, scale, and various accessories. I haven't used any of their presses (have RCBS) but would not hesitate to do so.

Shadowtech

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally, I have found Lyman products to be top notch. My Turbo Tumbler has been in use since 1987 and is still going strong (knock wood) & I've used their dies, trimmer, scale, and various accessories. I haven't used any of their presses (have RCBS) but would not hesitate to do so.
    So you can use any brand die with any press?

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    So you can use any brand die with any press?
    I'm not aware of any dies that are non-standard (other than .50 BMG). I've used RCBS, Lyman, Redding and Lee dies in various RCBS and Lee presses. (I don't know about Dillon..never used them). I particularly like Lyman pistol die sets with multiple seating stems for different bullet types.

Shadowtech

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not aware of any dies that are non-standard (other than .50 BMG). I've used RCBS, Lyman, Redding and Lee dies in various RCBS and Lee presses. (I don't know about Dillon..never used them). I particularly like Lyman pistol die sets with multiple seating stems for different bullet types.
    Thanks that’s good to know like I said just peeking down the hole right now
    Only experience I have reloading is shotgun shells for shooting clay pigeon’s when I was a kid

BayouPigeon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I got started. I just bought a Rock Chucker press, lube pad, case lube, die set, pocket scale, Lee quick trim die and trimmer and calipers. That was enough to get me into reloading.30-06. In short order I was making better than factory ammo. I’d definitely recommend buying a good single stage press to begin with. Even if you upgrade to a progressive later on you’ll still use that single stage for large rifle. Good luck and enjoy the rabbit hole.
    You Nailed it, you hit everything I purchased years ago to get started reloading rifle ammo. That was 47 years ago, and picked up a few things since then. Something about loading one at a time, and putting all your focus into making one cartridge at a time. Only difference I see is I started out using an Ohaus 10-10 scale, Which has proven to me to be the most accurate scale on the planet, Even today.

Top Bottom