• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Any of the big box kits will be enough to get you started. RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc. etc. All of them will also contain cheaper components that you will inevitably replace as you get further down the rabbit hole. If you haven’t already, I’d make sure you can source primers and powder before spending a bunch on the press kit. What are you planning on loading?

dirtingd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    338, 308, 270 and 9mm.

Start with 338 though and as I graduate...move to next caliber

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If you’re planning on reloading once fired brass you’re going to need more than what comes in any of the kits. You’ll need a way to clean/tumble the brass, for rifle you’ll need a case trimmer, you may want case gauges for each caliber you load for, a good set of calipers is a must, I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting. Best bet is to pickup a good manual, Richard Lee’s is good, Lyman, etc. and read the first section on the entire loading process. After you’ve read the entire thing, read it again, and again until you understand everything you’re reading. There’s lots of good tutorial videos on the web as well.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The Lee 4 turret press kit. I got the loadmaster they should call it the fiddle master. Takes alot of fine tuning to get it to run. Once set, it's rock n roll. You still need to closely monitor whats going on. Ymmv.

Attachments

• 20190221_151255_1550783609377_001_1550783847909.jpg
      20190221_151255_1550783609377_001_1550783847909.jpg
      422 KB · Views: 113

Chuck9703

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I got started. I just bought a Rock Chucker press, lube pad, case lube, die set, pocket scale, Lee quick trim die and trimmer and calipers. That was enough to get me into reloading.30-06. In short order I was making better than factory ammo. I’d definitely recommend buying a good single stage press to begin with. Even if you upgrade to a progressive later on you’ll still use that single stage for large rifle. Good luck and enjoy the rabbit hole.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    IF you had listed your location in your on screen profile someone in your area might offer to help you with a "show and tell" on reloading , as well as maybe offering you some of our excess reloading equip.
    There are a few sites that offer reloading data. Hodgdon and Nosler are good ones.
    NOW, don't get your panties in a wad when one manual says something and another manual says something different.
    You will need a decent scale and whether it be a conventional "balance beam" or an electronic one you should have a set of check Wts. In a pinch high quality match bullets will get you close.
    Dies, Lee offers a 4 die set that includes a shell holder and more importantly a collet neck die which is especially useful if your 3 rifle rounds are to be shot from bolt actions.

One problem you are going to run into at this time are finding "EXPENDABLES" mainly primers and powders. Just starting out, look at the on line manuals and see what type of primers they use,it will probably be LR for the 270 & 308, and LR-magnum for the 338 especially if that is a 338 L. The LR Mag. will work in the 270 & 308
    Next make a list of the powders they use in all 3. The 338 L and the 270 should have a few powders that are listed for both, and just be watchful for powders that will work in the 308

Last edited:

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I started with Lee hand press and ya

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    338, 308, 270 and 9mm.

Start with 338 though and as I graduate...move to next caliber
    9mm may be the easiest of those three to actually get started loading , between components ( besides primers) and just the availability of brass and it being straight ( very minimal taper) vs being a necked rifle case

Reactions: lrz

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I still use a Lee single stage press. :)

9mm is about the only thing I reload - Necked rifle cases concern me.

BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dirt, I started with a classic Lee loader. I still use them at times. My first was a 20 gauge, then a 30-30, 303 British. I still love the Lee loaders. I use only Lee, have for 40 years. I mostly use the Lee turret now and reload for everything I shoot. But, I’m not in a hurry. If I had very little money I’d start with the Lee loader again. Slow but simple and still downright fun!!

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    My first press was an RCBS Rock Chucker, and I never regretted the purchase. After some 35 years it's still on my bench and in use, along with 3 progressive presses. If you're serious about reloading, buy quality, not something you'll want to replace later on. JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom