Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

Beginner's Guide to Shooting Sports

btibrandscom

Banned
Reaction score
For me the competitive shooting sports are a fantastic way to improve your firearms proficiency, not to mention it’s tons of fun! The benefits are numerous and, the camaraderie amongst the shooters makes for an environment of sharing and learning. Choosing the right organization with which to become involved is an important decision. I’ll examine some of the most common handgun competitive shooting sports in this post.

katanapr3

Shooter
Reaction score
Good read! I have been postponing this for years now due to work and other stuff but now I feel I am ready to give it a shot. I got good gear, plenty of guns to choose from and the will to compete. All I need now is someone to guide me in the right direction and show me the ropes.

Attachments

• 20210708_152856.jpg
    20210708_152856.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210708_152850.jpg
    20210708_152850.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13

RussSurfs

Marksman
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Good read! I have been postponing this for years now due to work and other stuff but now I feel I am ready to give it a shot. I got good gear, plenty of guns to choose from and the will to compete. All I need now is someone to guide me in the right direction and show me the ropes.
Do you have a preference of games? For pistol the main three around are IDPA, USPSA and Steel Challenge. Pretty much every club in this area is super supportive of new shooters. I remember that well from when I started a few years ago. Myself and probably a bunch of others on this forum would be glad to get on a squad with you walk you through the basics of a match. Let us know what you want to shoot and we can figure out where and when.

katanapr3

Shooter
Reaction score
Well it is hard to say. Steel Challenge seems to be the most accommodating of all, I can run many of my fire arms on that game. Where it's gets confusing is on IDPA and USPSP for example years ago when I was thinking of getting into the sport I bought a S&W M&P Performance Center C.O.R.E 40L and I can't run that because it has a ported barrel unless is on an open division.
I have a Canik TP9SFX and a belt set up ready for carry optic I guess I can run that on USPSA.
I just built another gun but it has a magwell from factory and I think I that puts me on limited.
Most of my guns are modify one way or the other so I think that puts me out of production or IDPA.
When it comes to rules and regulation I am lost.

Attachments

• 20210629_131147.jpg
    20210629_131147.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20201113_093932.jpg
    20201113_093932.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201109_162530.jpg
    20201109_162530.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 6

RussSurfs

Marksman
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it is hard to say. Steel Challenge seems to be the most accommodating of all, I can run many of my fire arms on that game. Where it's gets confusing is on IDPA and USPSP for example years ago when I was thinking of getting into the sport I bought a S&W M&P Performance Center C.O.R.E 40L and I can't run that because it has a ported barrel unless is on an open division.
I have a Canik TP9SFX and a belt set up ready for carry optic I guess I can run that on USPSA.
I just built another gun but it has a magwell from factory and I think I that puts me on limited.
Most of my guns are modify one way or the other so I think that puts me out of production or IDPA.
When it comes to rules and regulation I am lost.
So you can definitely run the Canik in either IDPA or USPSA. Both have carry optics divisions. If your gun has a magwell and no optic, you can run it in IDPA under ESP. In either IDPA or USPSA, initially you can pretty much run whatever you want and no one will really care.

There is an IDPA match at ERGC Saturday. There is a USPSA match at Altus on Saturday and in Holt at Element on Sunday. I could shoot either of the Saturday matches and possibly the Sunday match. Let me know.

katanapr3

Shooter
Reaction score
Great! I will be going to the Holt match on Sunday, I know where that one is. They others I am not familiar with. Most likely I'll be there to watch and learn and I will participate in the next one on August. Some one gave me a website that keeps scores and you can find and register for matches, I created a profile there, so I am set.

RussSurfs

Marksman
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Altus is in Baker. ERGC Escambia River Gun Club is off Quintette Road in Cantonment just down the road from the Santa Rosa shooting range. Holt is a great range. I won’t be able to make it there Sunday, but Brendan the match director is a great guy. Mr. T (Thana Chaitha) is shooting that match. He is one of the best hosts I know for new shooters. I know he would be happy to have you tag along with his squad.

JWlineman

Master
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great! I will be going to the Holt match on Sunday, I know where that one is. They others I am not familiar with. Most likely I'll be there to watch and learn and I will participate in the next one on August. Some one gave me a website that keeps scores and you can find and register for matches, I created a profile there, so I am set.
There's a Gun Range map page link in the drop down menu in this forum. Most have links to the particular range websites.

Toggle Sidebar

Sponsors

Holsters
3rd Coast
Top Bottom