• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Guy came home today to find he had been robbed, What follows is his post from Facebook
    “What's left of my gun safes and 40 guns and ammo gone .My black Suzuki boulevard and bike trailer, all of the aluminum wheels from three trucks. A small welder. They used a torch to cut every pad lock, lock and the top of the gun safes. Everything was behind locked gates and locked doors.”

Attachments

• 80D89A90-2E4D-4C49-911F-F6CC7D00732A.jpeg
      80D89A90-2E4D-4C49-911F-F6CC7D00732A.jpeg
      543.2 KB · Views: 122
    • 5E06969B-4073-4DB8-9CF6-3D6DD96AC68A.png
      5E06969B-4073-4DB8-9CF6-3D6DD96AC68A.png
      2.4 MB · Views: 122

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    a can of powder in that gun safe would have stoped the thief I have a can in my safe no lid and a sign on my safe warning to not cut as explosion is probable
    I also have cell trail cameras and other cameras in and around my house

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    a can of powder in that gun safe would have stoped the thief I have a can in my safe no lid and a sign on my safe warning to not cut as explosion is probable
    I also have cell trail cameras and other cameras in and around my house
    Powder should be stored on the top shelf to keep it dry, is what I’ve always heard.
    ;)

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Security needs to be layered in order to be effective. Safes and door locks are but one level, alone, almost worthless.

A monitored home security system with cellular and battery back up... the kind that sends an alert when main power is lost and battery back up takes over.

A wireless home camera system that sends alerts not only when activated, but when power is lost or cameras are moved or tampered with.

Stationary game cameras within a close perimeter with IR light above 860 Nm so no red glow.

I hope he has serial numbers and gets them entered into NCIC/FCIC as soon as possible. Some day, a few might show up.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Security needs to be layered in order to be effective. Safes and door locks are but one level, alone, almost worthless.

A monitored home security system with cellular and battery back up... the kind that sends an alert when main power is lost and battery back up takes over.

A wireless home camera system that sends alerts not only when activated, but when power is lost or cameras are moved or tampered with.

Stationary game cameras within a close perimeter with IR light above 860 Nm so no red glow.

I hope he has serial numbers and gets them entered into NCIC/FCIC as soon as possible. Some day, a few might show up.
    A trustworthy neighbor to intervene is nice too.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Guy came home today to find he had been robbed, What follows is his post from Facebook
    “What's left of my gun safes and 40 guns and ammo gone .My black Suzuki boulevard and bike trailer, all of the aluminum wheels from three trucks. A small welder. They used a torch to cut every pad lock, lock and the top of the gun safes. Everything was behind locked gates and locked doors.”
    "Facebook"... there's your sign. I never signed up, and never will, since I have no need to broadcast my business to the world. If anyone wants to know how Facebook works, just look at the system that the Czar's secret police, the Ohkrana, used to track, monitor, and liquidate opponents 100 years ago. Note that I'm not a fan of Czars or Marxists, but that's not the point... look at how the system worked (links below).

Facebook is a digital carbon-copy of the system, with the primary difference being that the Ohkrana had to put a lot of effort into compiling the info. With Facebook, its users provide it all, voluntarily. It's not Zuckerberg you have to worry about. It's what happens when your political opposition... or maybe even just a local thief... gets ahold of all that info. The guy who was robbed may have been robbed by an acquaintance. But just posting on Facebook about where he works could have given a stranger valuable info. Someone could have been observing his car at work, while others did the deed. Read:

XII. Mail opening and the international police

XIII. Decoding. Once more on the interception of mail

XIV. Summarising reports: the diagram method

XV. Forensic study, description and ... liquidation

XVI. A scientific study of the revolutionary movement

for a crash course in how Facebook works. And I mean to a T. Compare the methods for photographic categorization in the "Forensic study" section mentioned above (remember: this was being done 100 years ago!) to a description of how Facebook and Google "facial recognition" programs work:

Ohkrana, 100 years ago:

"A very useful accessory method of the police should be mentioned here: forensic study (or bertillonage, after Monsieur Bertillon who invented the system), which is very useful for all legal identification purposes. A forensic file is compiled on every arrested person: he is photographed from every angle, from in front, in profile, standing, sitting; measured with the aid of precision instruments (shape and dimension of the skull, the forearm, the foot, hand etc.), examined by experts who classify him scientifically (according to the shape of nose and ear, colour of eyes, scars or marks on the body).

The simplest descriptions can be just as dangerous. The angle of an ear, the colour of someone’s eyes, or the shape of the nose can be observed in the street without alerting their attention. These data will be enough for the experienced policeman to identify his man, in spite of changes he may have been able to make in his appearance."

Facebook, TODAY:

"But that's not enough for Facebook. It wants to be able to identify people even when their faces aren't showing. Toward that end, Facebook researchers are developing a system that looks at hairstyle, body shape, posture, clothing and so on.

Facebook can now recognize people whose faces aren't showing with 83% accuracy."

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ognition-a-threat-on-facebook-and-google.html

Actually, it's just straight-up out of control:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/11/technology/flickr-facial-recognition.html

There are other sites I don't trust as well. There's one called "Neighbors" or something to that effect, where you get a friendly letter in the mail that sounds like it was written by someone just down the street, inviting you to sign up so that you can basically just gossip about everyone's personal business. But look at the postmark... it's from CALIFORNIA! BIG red flag! : )

Last edited:
    Reactions: sj1

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Monitored intrusion detection is a good idea. I'm just a little leery of any security cameras that are internet-connected... certainly don't want any interior cameras accessible remotely, since if you can access it over the Internet, others can, even if only the NSA-types.

At the same time, if you live alone, don't have neighbors in line-of-sight that you can trust and that are at home most of the time, and you work for a living, you may have no better option. An empty, remote home is just a sitting duck. As much as I want to live on a desolate, remote property, I wouldn't do so unless I had someone I could trust staying there while I was out... even if I had to pay them to : )

5.56Operator

Hero of the Imperium
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This just boils my balls. I hate reading bullshit like this.

The frosting on the cake? When these degenerate scumbags are finally caught? Yours truly gets the privilege of providing care custody and control for them until they’re “rehabilitated”

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm just a little leery of any security cameras that are internet-connected... certainly don't want any interior cameras accessible remotely, since if you can access it over the Internet, others can, even if only the NSA-types.

Risk benefit analysis applies... IMO for me, zero risk for me concerning some James Bond type tapping into my camera system... it's simply not going to happen. Even if it does, about all they will see is my naked self. Most of my cameras are outside anyway so they won't see anything of benefit.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Risk benefit analysis applies... IMO for me, zero risk for me concerning some James Bond type tapping into my camera system... it's simply not going to happen. Even if it does, about all they will see is my naked self. Most of my cameras are outside anyway so they won't see anything of benefit.
    As long as you think it through...

Let's say someone has an Internet-connected camera trained on their gun safe. Now anyone who can access the feed can monitor the safe. Other than that, the camera does nothing. People are assaulted and murdered in front of their "security cameras" pretty regularly. And stuff is stolen "on camera" all the time.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As long as you think it through...

Let's say someone has an Internet-connected camera trained on their gun safe. Now anyone who can access the feed can monitor the safe. Other than that, the camera does nothing. People are assaulted and murdered in front of their "security cameras" pretty regularly. And stuff is stolen "on camera" all the time.

All very true.

Personally, I rely on my camera system for two main things... motion detection and power/internet disruption.

People wear masks and face coverings all the time so we generally don't get much information, lead wise, with captured footage.

However, if someone moves, smashes, disables, cuts power, or messes with them in any way I get an alert. Then I can ask either my neighbors, family, of LE to investigate if I can't access my system. I really don't reply of them for much more than just intrusion alerts or service disruption.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All very true.

Personally, I rely on my camera system for two main things... motion detection and power/internet disruption.

People wear masks and face coverings all the time so we generally don't get much information, lead wise, with captured footage.

However, if someone moves, smashes, disables, cuts power, or messes with them in any way I get an alert. Then I can ask either my neighbors, family, of LE to investigate if I can't access my system. I really don't reply of them for much more than just intrusion alerts or service disruption.
    You got it!

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    And dogs.
    A pair of dogs that are at least 50 lb.s make a great deterrent as long as they are not friendly with strangers. I had 3 labs and 2 were friendly with strangers those 2 were stolen from behind a locked gate. The other 1 wouldn’t let strangers inside the gate.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Likely the person that did this burglary would have just killed the dog or dogs. Unfortunately that would put some folks (me included) in a very different mind set. Stealing my stuff could result in a severe painful beating, killing my dog would result in a less painful but more permanent solution to the persons inability to conform to a more acceptable life style.

Top Bottom