• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Anyone using one of those barrel dimpling jigs? I'm just looking for recommendations on one. There's several available on the market and I don't want to spend the money on a shitty one if I can avoid it. This is specifically for making a dimple on the barrel for a low profile gas block set screw.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I purchased the SLR 750 jig a couple weeks ago and have used it on 3 barrels so far. Easy enough to use, solid construction and handles the abuse from a vise and drill bit as it should. I recommend it. You need to know the set screw spacing on your gas block. I called Troy to ask about theirs in a low pro and was told that's "proprietary" and can't say. Haha

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I purchased the SLR 750 jig a couple weeks ago and have used it on 3 barrels so far. Easy enough to use, solid construction and handles the abuse from a vise and drill bit as it should. I recommend it. You need to know the set screw spacing on your gas block. I called Troy to ask about theirs in a low pro and was told that's "proprietary" and can't say. Haha

That's right you were looking for one awhile back. Saw one at the last freedom show, had it in my hands then put it back, big mistake. Also when a company rep usually says proprietary- means they dont know.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah it was kinda disappointing but whatever, I can measure center to center and guesstimate. Ha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah it was kinda disappointing but whatever, I can measure center to center and guesstimate. Ha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Good thing to be aware of. next time I buy a gas block I will ask for the dimensions first.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I think I'm going to go with the slr 750. You're the 2nd person that has recommended it. I like that it's not just for one set of spacing. It will work for several different gas blocks. and for $32 that's worth it to me. Thanks for all the input everyone.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Used the SLR 750 dimpling jig a week ago, and I gotta say, that thing is awesome! I did find out that I need a MUCH better drill bit. Barrels are hard as fuck! I used low speed and consistent pressure and still took forever to put barely a dent in the barrel. I'll be buying a specific hardened bit and use it ONLY for the dimpler. It is a very good design and locks into place and doesn't move while drilling. I will recommend this to anyone looking for one. The great thing is it can handle 5 different spacing measurements for different gas blocks. I only drill the one hole opposite the gas port so that I have the option to change out gas blocks and not have to worry about buying the one with the correct set screw spacing. It is nice having the 5 different options though if one of my buddies is dead set on leaving their gas block on and never considering changing it out. Again though, product worked flawlessly and I would absolutely recommend that everyone own one of these if they do a lot of builds.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You need a carbide bit, and replace it often. Don’t try to go fast, pressure is your friend, not speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Oh I know low and slow with consistent pressure is the key to keeping a drill bit sharp and making good head way. I just had a new dewalt one that wasn't doing it for me. Gonna have to find one that's made for hardened steel. I'm gonna make a trip to Pensacola Hardware and buy the most expensive low speed 5/32 bit they have. Maybe two of them. I don't dimple a lot, but I do want a dedicated bit just for that purpose. Also gonna make a setup for my drill press that can hold the jig and barrel. The vice I have on there now isn't large enough so gonna get a bigger one that I can bolt down to the base plate on the drill press and reset my belt on the pulleys to get a lower speed.

Top Bottom