• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    You didn't mention who the manufacture is ? 1-12 T ? tells me that it isn't a standard "monkey see, monkey do" one size fits all US made rifle.
    Can't speak for what the manufacture used to "proof test" or test fire a few rounds through your weapon.
    Who the manufacture is should tell you the quality of the barrel you have.
    As others have stated, and from your posts this weapon will be a hunting rifle so a record of shots from a cold clean,clean bore, and a cold 1 shot fouled barrel will tell you which to go.
    Winchester xpr, built by Browning.

308 Winchester
    3 Rounds
    22″ Free Float Barrel
    Recessed Target Crown
    Button Rifled with a 1:12″ Twist
    Detachable Box Mag
    Precision Machined Steel Receiver
    Nickel Teflon Coated Steel Bolt
    Adjustable MOA Trigger System
    Two Position Thumb Safety
    Drilled and Tapped Receiver
    Matte Black Synthetic Stock
    Matte Black Finish
    Length of Pull 13.75″
    Overall Length 42″
    Weight 6.75 lbs

Attachments

• 20210630_201953_001.jpg
      20210630_201953_001.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 87

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    " Made in Portugal by Browning Viana"** Since you started this thread ask about
    "break-in", one thought is "it is what it is" and deal with it,meaning see what your weapon likes , and one thought to keep in mind, rifles are a lot like women sometimes it takes a lot to figure out what makes them happy.
    While your on your "BGB" big gray boat see if you can find out where Browning Viana gets their barrels from.
    ** explains the 1-12 T

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    " Made in Portugal by Browning Viana"** Since you started this thread ask about
    "break-in", one thought is "it is what it is" and deal with it,meaning see what your weapon likes , and one thought to keep in mind, rifles are a lot like women sometimes it takes a lot to figure out what makes them happy.
    While your on your "BGB" big gray boat see if you can find out where Browning Viana gets their barrels from.
    ** explains the 1-12 T
    Thank you, so the 1:12 would shoot the 168gr (or lighter) better than the 1:10? I'm guessing the 1:12t is not the standard for hunting rifles? I may have to try some of the 130gr otm rds. as well.

Thanks to all for your info!

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    1 in 12 308W barrels have been std in both Browning & Winchester rifles for quite some time , 1 in 10 for 30/06 . IMHO you'll find best accuracy 168gr & lighter . Been years since I had a 308 . IIRC 46.0grs BLC2 with a 168 Sierra was sub MOA for me . H4895 / TAC with 147 - 150gr . Never had much luck with either RL15 or 4064 in 308Win . Tons of new stuff now days , but I'd look in that " burning range " first .

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    BORE SNAKES- ok for pistols and shotguns. I won't use them on rifles... if you're not pulling the snake out of the bore 100% concentric, then think about what you could be doing to the crown of the barrel. The crown is essential to good performance. No... a few times with a BS won't cause damage... but time after time... it could..

BORE SCOPES- I have one, and they will make you lose sleep needlessly. Why? Because you will certainly see things that don't "look good" but will have no impact on accuracy. I acquired a used DPMS MK 12 barreled upper a couple years ago. Initial outing was not good... Bore Scope showed several gouges that I suspect were caused by a cleaning rod/jag. I assumed that was the cause of poor groupings. Nope... further inspection showed a loose barrel nut. After tightening, the rifle shoots sub-MOA despite having the suspected gouges. Not sure where they came from, the seller said the barrel had minimal rounds on it and he never had an issue cleaning the barrel and offered a full refund. I passed as the rifle shoots fantastic.

Bore scopes have a tendency to make you worry about things you shouldn't worry about BUT can be beneficial in troubleshooting problematic barrels. Bad tooling, chatter marks, and fire-cracking are common things to see as well as excessive gas port erosion on semi-autos.

Below are pics I took this am from the DPMS MK 12 barrel... the pics start from the muzzle and end near the chamber, I've basically tracked a long gouge in the barrel that looks really bad yet has no apparent effect of accuracy...

The last pic seems to show where the damage started... perhaps the bullet picked up a piece of metal from machining and drug it down the barrel? This just demonstrates that BS's can show things that won't matter.

I agree with the comment that excessive and/pr improper cleaning can certainly degrade a barrel's performance.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have about +6 different brands of .308 I can try. SMK's, black, federal match, otm, core lock, tul, etc... would steel case ammo be a bad idea to try? I have a pile of the sp tul ammo.

Top Bottom