• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Has the gun ever been shot ?? How many rds thru it ??
    Take to range. Shoot 5 and clean. Lube bbl with Break Free CLP. Shoot five more and clean.
    Use bronze brush and proper tight fitting jag.
    What is that twist ?? Hopefully 10. ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not a big "break in" fan if the barrel is of quality manufacture. Like SAWMAN said, shoot a few, clean, repeat once and drive on.

However, I stopped using bronze brushes on my precision sticks 20 years ago or more. On RARE occasion, I might use a tynex/nylon brush, but other than that, I'm a pure chemical reaction cleaning guy... I let the solvents to the work.

Chamber protector, push everything from the chamber to the muzzle, avoid dragging it back to the chamber. Nice nylon coated or carbon fiber cleaning rods.

Once your desired "break in" is complete, don't clean again unless you have accuracy issues. My issued duty rifle was going 300-350 rounds between cleanings.

Start a log book of some type noting shooting conditions and performance. Note round counts, per shooting session as well as a running total. Cut targets out and post them in your log book for future reference.

Example of a round count sheet...

I use this homemade target to track CB shots, confirm zero, note any changes, and the a final zero confirmation. They get placed into the data book for historical reference.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    300-350 between cleanings huh ?? Is that a bolt or AR ?? Is that for the entire gun or just the bbl ?? --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Both...

With bolt guns I'll kiss the chamber only with a very lightly moist patch of CLP to keep the chamber clean. Clean bolt face as well.

AR's, same thing with the BCG getting taking apart about every 50-100 rounds. Sooner if shooting suppressed.

My personal experience, besides what my research has shown, has been rifles will settle down with dispersion after 10-20 rounds from a thorough bore cleaning, sometimes more, sometimes less. But no one I know who shoots precision rifle cleans the bore after each range trip.

Of course others will perhaps disagree, but my data books with specific tracking data on perhaps 15+ precision rifles says stay the course.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Best to keep a good cold bore log than anything else.

you don’t go out and shoot 5-10 rounds at a deer or other sniper target. First shot is important.

that said I do the standard break in recommended by the manufacturer then clean as necessary and shoot to make sure my first round is a known.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'm not a big "break in" fan if the barrel is of quality manufacture. Like SAWMAN said, shoot a few, clean, repeat once and drive on.

However, I stopped using bronze brushes on my precision sticks 20 years ago or more. On RARE occasion, I might use a tynex/nylon brush, but other than that, I'm a pure chemical reaction cleaning guy... I let the solvents to the work.

Chamber protector, push everything from the chamber to the muzzle, avoid dragging it back to the chamber. Nice nylon coated or carbon fiber cleaning rods.

Once your desired "break in" is complete, don't clean again unless you have accuracy issues. My issued duty rifle was going 300-350 rounds between cleanings.

Start a log book of some type noting shooting conditions and performance. Note round counts, per shooting session as well as a running total. Cut targets out and post them in your log book for future reference.

Example of a round count sheet...

I use this homemade target to track CB shots, confirm zero, note any changes, and the a final zero confirmation. They get placed into the data book for historical reference.

Impressive. Might be a good idea, as this is a new rifle. I'll try the shoot 5 and clean. Before I shoot, I'll push a patch thru and see what's on it. To be honest most of my cleaning is done from the breach with a bore snake and rem oil. Pull it thru a few times and call it good. Detail on bolt and chamber lugs.

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Broke in two Robar 308s. Per Robar, 1shot and clean 5x, then 2 shots and clean 5x, 3 shots and clean 5x, then 5 shots and your done. The cleanings are thorough and you should have no evidence of copper fouling before your next shot(s). Robar warranted their barrels to .5moa for 5000 res.
    Don't know if it makes a difference but they did shoot outstanding groups for a long time and the clean cold bore shots could be trusted as long as the nut behind the rifle did his part.

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just got your post . You really need more than a bore snake.
    I have gotten lazy in my old age and use a little solvent, coated cleaning rods and foaming bore cleaner. Does a real good job of removeing copper fouling, and my could bore shots go where they are aimed

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Broke in two Robar 308s. Per Robar, 1shot and clean 5x, then 2 shots and clean 5x, 3 shots and clean 5x, then 5 shots and your done. The cleanings are thorough and you should have no evidence of copper fouling before your next shot(s). Robar warranted their barrels to .5moa for 5000 res.
    Don't know if it makes a difference but they did shoot outstanding groups for a long time and the clean cold bore shots could be trusted as long as the nut behind the rifle did his part.
    Do ya think that's to get any loose bits left over from the machining?? Using the bullets to clean up the bore??

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Secret service used to do a minor clean then fire a fouling shot before putting thier rifles to bed. But they replaced the barrels every 1500 res. Go figure

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think fire lapping is real and the break in does finish off the last of the unsmooth rifling. Unless your barrel has been hand lapped like the Robars and the Accuracy Internationals. I'm a cheap Savage rifle guy since I have to buy them now. My last one being in 223 with the 5R rifling. Very smooth right out of the box. Do you have access to a bore camera?

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's the feds, lots of attitude and... they were shooting 7mm mags back in the early 2000s. Burned out barrels pretty quick

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I think fire lapping is real and the break in does finish off the last of the unsmooth rifling. Unless your barrel has been hand lapped like the Robars and the Accuracy Internationals. I'm a cheap Savage rifle guy since I have to buy them now. My last one being in 223 with the 5R rifling. Very smooth right out of the box. Do you have access to a bore camera?
    All my LEO sniper books say that a long shot for a LEO sniper is 100 yards. They say all statistics in modern history for police rifle shootings has like 99% of them shots taken at less than 100 yards. Definitely can get away without punching a bore for a few hundred rounds

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The most accurate round is the first round out of a barrel. Of course barrel manufacturers will recommend a series of 10 shots, clean, and repeat fir the first 50 rounds and so on. They are in the market of selling barrels. The more rounds you fire the closet a shooter will be to a rebarrel. Accuracy usually falls off when it is time for a cleaning rod.

These bore scopes are a must. Very affordable and you could pay for it with the money saved on components from troubleshooting problems at the range. This is what I use to determine when it is time to clean. I have the model that blue tooth’s to my iPhone and save each video with notes on round count. Carbon rings get tough and solvents with a brass brush are a must. I have had several barrels that I thought were done only to find out they needed a better scrubbing.

BamaFaninMilton

Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Barrel break-in is one of those topics where you are going to find many different opinions, for and against it. Just Google "rifle barrel break-in" and you will find that there are vastly differing articles on the subject.

Does it really help with preventing copper fouling buildup? Possibly, but I have read that having a rifle barrel cryo-treated will do the same. Does it prevent shots from walking? Maybe, but I've yet to ever shoot at a deer immediately after firing my rifle to the point that the barrel is hot.

I once read an article where the author, a noted rifle magazine writer, owned a 270 Weatherby that would not shoot very good groups. A crusty old German gunsmith friend of his told him to get 2 boxes of ammo, and to "shoot them as fast as you can pull the trigger". According to the old gunsmith, the barrel had not been properly heat-treated and the excessive heat caused by firing the 2 boxes of ammo as fast as possible would relieve the stresses in the steel. It must have worked, because the author wrote, that with much trepidation but with faith in his friends advice, he did as instructed, and later after allowing the rifle to cool down and cleaning, he fired an extremely small group, IIRC it was around .300-.400", using factory Weatherby ammo.

I'm not too sure that many people would go to that extreme, but it just goes to show that there are different degrees of barrel break-in.

In the end, do what makes you happy, and you will be ok. Happy Shooting!

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You didn't mention who the manufacture is ? 1-12 T ? tells me that it isn't a standard "monkey see, monkey do" one size fits all US made rifle.
    Can't speak for what the manufacture used to "proof test" or test fire a few rounds through your weapon.
    Who the manufacture is should tell you the quality of the barrel you have.
    As others have stated, and from your posts this weapon will be a hunting rifle so a record of shots from a cold clean,clean bore, and a cold 1 shot fouled barrel will tell you which to go.

Top Bottom