• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got this from Barnes the other day along with my bullets (127gr LRX .264")
    In case you want to give the Barnes line of bullets a try,these are the "thumb rule" of loading them. I have been using the TSX/TTSX line of bullets for some years now and have found them to be accurate and deadly on animals.
    Use appropriate bbl twist for the solid copper bullets added length. They can be pushed pretty fast. Will penetrate great. Expansion is quick and positive. --- SAWMAN
    20200715_122907.jpg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    the only thing it din't mention was the being able to use lighter than caliber bullets

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    YES . . . this is a real plus for using the "no lead" style of bullets. Especially the ones that have a long profile and a boat tail. Just as long as your bbl has the proper twist rate to stabilize it.
    My 127gr LRX have just as high a B.C. as some 140gr bullets. They also have multiple grooves machined into the bullets bearing surface.
    These help with proper neck tension,can be used as a cannaleur to crimp into and as stated help (somewhat) to reduce pressures although I would not/ will not try to factor that into my loading equasion.
    Hunting varmints,up to and including coyotes,you can use any bullet at any velocity. Big game is another thing all together.
    I find ( it has been my direct expierance) that a no lead,well designed bullet Barnes B.T.'s give me better ballistics because of added vels and kill even better than some of the bullets (Hornady) that shed their jacket as soon as they enter the animal. Especially if they hit bone. With the no lead Barnes,you want to hit bone going in.
    I have not tried any of the Nosler E-Tip or Hornady G-Max. For my needs I will use the Barnes 127gr LRX instead of going up to any companys 140gr+ bullets. I suspect that these would be better in the 6.5C also unless you plan on shooting over 600yds at paper. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I use the 127s in my .260 hunting rifle but yet to take one with it...we only sat twice :) That rifle is throated for 142SMK so it isn't dificult to get the a good jump. I posted results on here. clean bore in on place...pulled one and the other 3 were in the same hole...using HV100 powder

I made some really nasty 130gr TSX for my .270 falling block...had to come off those...bone fragment on entry side of neck too with a fist sized hole under the skin and a small exit hole...Under 1 MOA was hard to maintain too...dropped to 110TTSX and stopped using it that year

I also want to try the 127LRX in my 6.5 WSM...maybe the new barrel will be the ticket.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Got this from Barnes the other day along with my bullets (127gr LRX .264")
    In case you want to give the Barnes line of bullets a try,these are the "thumb rule" of loading them. I have been using the TSX/TTSX line of bullets for some years now and have found them to be accurate and deadly on animals.
    Use appropriate bbl twist for the solid copper bullets added length. They can be pushed pretty fast. Will penetrate great. Expansion is quick and positive. --- SAWMAN View attachment 87744
    Found it. lol

I knew I had seen it somewhere.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Many reports that say Barnes is absolutely correct with this one. I agree,from expierance also.
    Good for Barnes to come out with some semi technical info that we can understand. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some on hand in for three different cartridges. A few years ago when I first got interested in loading barnes bullets they wanted you to pay for information on powder charges and that really put me off of using their bullets. I plan to use them in 300 blackout, 6.5 g, and 7.62x39.

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used the TSX/TTSX 120 gr. in 6.8 caliber for years. Quit shooting deer with them and only use on hogs. They really tear up a deer. I like the 110 gr. accubond on deer. Both are extremely accurate bullets.

Top Bottom