• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vincec

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am with you on the astigmatism. Instead of a clean dot, mine look like they have exploded. And that distortion gets worse every year. On my PCC, I am running a Vortex that can be either red or green. At least for me, the color of the dot does not matter. Both color dots look like they have exploded. I have never used a Holosun. No reason, just never bought one. Will have to check them out to see if they make any difference for my aging eyes.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I am with you on the astigmatism. Instead of a clean dot, mine look like they have exploded. And that distortion gets worse every year. On my PCC, I am running a Vortex that can be either red or green. At least for me, the color of the dot does not matter. Both color dots look like they have exploded. I have never used a Holosun. No reason, just never bought one. Will have to check them out to see if they make any difference for my aging eyes.
    It's the x2 led that might be why it's better. Have 2 both gtg. Maybe the circle dot?? Couldn't hurt to go look thru one.
    I have scar tissue on one eye ( fixed one, needs lasering to remove) and the start of a cataract on the other. A trip to the optometrist is always a good idea. Dilation is required for them to look.
    20230218_130814.jpg

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I suffer from this issue. Most red dots look like check marks or figure 8's. Recently got a green holosun SCS 100% improvement. So maybe the green or the type of led is the fix. Yall really need to look thru these.
    I was up in Birmingham and I went by my favorite gun store `There was a guy behind the counter that really new his stuff when it came to optics. It helped being in this particular shop cause they had one of the best stock so I could look at every option. He explained that just cause it’s expensive doesn’t make it better for your particular situation. For me everything Trijicon worked the best. Followed by Holosun just depends on the application, it’s like shoes it pays to try before you buy.~

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I was up in Birmingham and I went by my favorite gun store `There was a guy behind the counter that really new his stuff when it came to optics. It helped being in this particular shop cause they had one of the best stock so I could look at every option. He explained that just cause it’s expensive doesn’t make it better for your particular situation. For me everything Trijicon worked the best. Followed by Holosun just depends on the application, it’s like shoes it pays to try before you buy.~
    I keep hearing about a place up there that is packed with cool stuff. What's the name of it??

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Instead of a red dot or circle red dot that projects the image onto a screen for your to see, try a "dot" sight that has the circle/dot etched onto the screen and then illuminated such as the Vortex Spitfire. It did away with the cluster of grapes/figure eight image, and all was crisp as can be.

Edited to add: Prism is the type of sight I was trying to mention. Thank you .22 cents.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Instead of a red dot or circle red dot that projects the image onto a screen for your to see, try a "dot" sight that has the circle/dot etched onto the screen and then illuminated such as the Vortex Spitfire. It did away with the cluster of grapes/figure eight image, and all was crisp as can be.
    Absolutely right, on rifles that's all I use. 1x, 2.5x 4x, 3x is more than adequate for hunting. No battery to fail. Ymmv.

Jstocks

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had purchased an Eotech 512 and really liked the holo sight over the red dot type sights when it come to the vision piece of it. The fact that it looks like the reticle is floating on the target with the hill sight is really an advantage.

The cons were the weight/size and the fact that I could not get past the “busy” aspect of the circle with the dot. I really prefer just a straight dot.

I’m going to purchase a new Eotech eflx red dot. Glass is super clear with no reflective coating. The housing is robust.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I had purchased an Eotech 512 and really liked the holo sight over the red dot type sights when it come to the vision piece of it. The fact that it looks like the reticle is floating on the target with the hill sight is really an advantage.

The cons were the weight/size and the fact that I could not get past the “busy” aspect of the circle with the dot. I really prefer just a straight dot.

I’m going to purchase a new Eotech eflx red dot. Glass is super clear with no reflective coating. The housing is robust.
    Hopefully it comes in green, you gotta check one out with the green led.

Glassaholic

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Eotech's are the worst with my eyes, some Trijicon's are better, my Leupold Delta Point Pro also not horrible. I agree, Prism sights with an actual etched reticle do not cause the strange multi-dot, starburst type effect that most red dots give me.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Eotech's are the worst with my eyes, some Trijicon's are better, my Leupold Delta Point Pro also not horrible. I agree, Prism sights with an actual etched reticle do not cause the strange multi-dot, starburst type effect that most red dots give me.
    Look thru one of the new green holosuns. Very pleased with them. It may be the x2 led they use?
    I need to look thru one that is red with the x2. Seems like I did and the green was the winner. ( for my eyes) Doesn't wash out in daylight. Seems like they have a gold one too, never looked thru one though.
    20230721_125442.jpg
    20230218_130814.jpg

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Look thru one of the new green holosuns. Very pleased with them. It may be the x2 led they use?
    I need to look thru one that is red with the x2. Seems like I did and the green was the winner. ( for my eyes) Doesn't wash out in daylight. Seems like they have a gold one too, never looked thru one though. View attachment 238347 View attachment 238349
    I have a bit of a Stiggy too. Holosuns are one of the sharper dot brands to my eyes, second only behind Aimpoint (I totally get why they are so expensive lol). Red Holosuns are still sharp for my eyes. Conversely, EoTechs are basically useless for my eyes, just looks like one huge nickel-sized red blob.

The Steiner MPS was also a very sharp pistol dot for me, maybe sharper than the Holosun? Absolutely beast of a dot, would be right at home on a sub gun or small AR as much as on a pistol.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    IDK, mine is in my left, non dominant eye. My glasses are progressive as I've become dependent on reading glasses for up close. I don't need glasses to shoot with, but when I have them on they do make dots fuzzy, I think you've just lucked up on the best optic for you, I have dots that are both red/green, dots look the same, scattered. I try to buy the smaller MOA dots, as none of mine are on handguns. My Draco employs a 2MOA HS403B Holosun on an ultimak gas tube mount, perfect for yard defense out to 150 yards, green laser is just a cherry on top!

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_123700960.jpg
      IMG_20230822_123700960.jpg
      413.2 KB · Views: 46

Olopez

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m in the same boat, I looked through a couple cheap red dots and reflex sights, and ONE of the reflex style knockoffs with a circle and cross hairs reticle actually came up looking really clean. Only problem was that it felt like it would shatter into pieces if ever dropped. I have a vortex sparc 2 I’m trying to sell to fund a 1x prism scope but I might give the holosun a try. I’ve actually heard that the 510c is very good for people with astigmatisms.

Top Bottom